Spring Rifle... .22 Vs .177

Some very good points raised there Simon,all valid, but just to put a tiny fly in the .22 killing power ointment :yes: lets look at side on or chest shot woody's, now I have used air rifles for many years, and have seen woody's fly off so many times body shot with a .22, and drop stone dead body shot with a .177 to make my mind up that the smaller slug is a better dispatcher of game than the larger, it is of course irrelevant if we put a slug into the brain, the calibre matters not, but in my experience, and I know plenty of others who share my thoughts/findings, that .177 when used against tough (relatively speaking) small game/pests with a body shot,produces more humane instant kills than does its fatter slower cousin :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.22 much smoother imo

Mmmmm and the song goes on. Rez makes a good point,- FT and HFT boys use .177 "like it`s going out of fashion".So "why is that"? It is obvious in my mind that hft and ft lads are looking

.22 all day long.

Mmmmm :hmm: and the song goes on.

Rez makes a good point,- FT and HFT boys use .177 "like it`s going out of fashion".So "why is that"? It is obvious in my mind that hft and ft lads are looking for the "best accuracy" and consider .177 to be the better calibre to achieve that with, especially in "Hunting Scenarios".

So i wont argue with the preferred calibre of thousands of HFT, or FT shooters, - ACCURACY is what they are after, (not power).

Simon also makes good sense with the accuracy of his springers and the kinetic energy that a .22 delivers on impact compared to .177. - again .22 makes up for any inaccuracy with the strike it delivers for many shooters in my mind (no slight intended :nono: anyone).

No, "for me", as said, .177 is a far more accurate calibre for "general, anywhere shooting" like woodland especially, as a .177 rifle zeroed to exactly 36 yds will give a flight path inside a 1 inch circle from 9yds to 41 yds and only "AFTER" 41 yds is hold over and mill dots required.

So can .22 deliver the same accuracy - "oh YES, absolutely" - "but only on open ground" and you MUST know your milldots after the well known "best zero" of 28 yds for .22 ( keeping the pellet within a 1 inch circle flight path).

Basically the loopier flight path of .22 will find twigs, branches, leaves etc, etc, a lot quicker than the flat trajectory of .177.

As for power, at sub 12 ft/lbs, wether you use .177, .20, .22, .25,-or .303 bullet,- heart/lung shot or head - it is dead !

Putting that pellet "ON TARGET" is the bit that matters,- ask all the thousands of HFT, and FT lads (for me ).

Charlie Caller`s point on heart/lung shots with .177 is so, so true. I have shot hundreds of pigeons "side on" to heart/ lung and they are despatched instantly !

atb

• Like 3

Here we go, 22 v 177 again.

Th OP was aimed at the Spring rifle... not about the killing or hunting efficiencies of the calibre.

Just saying.

Just seen Marks comment so as an edit.

Ive dropped my stuff with .22 than .177 but then again I shoot .22 more :)

.22 for daytime shooting, and 177 for night vision or lamping, target shooting on paper 177, HFT .22 because it has more clout for the metal knock downs. Both are good, but some times one has attributes above the other for certain situations. :thumbs:

• Like 1

IM FECKING SICK OF ALL THIS

i wish you all live,d near me iv say,d it be for and ill say it again

YOU PICK THE TARGET AND HIT IT WITH 177 AND ILL HIT THE SAME TARGET IN THE SAME HOLE WITH 22

and iv done this time and time again out to some good ranges as well

One thing you all seam to for get its not the rifle or the cal its the person behind the rifle that counts

You could give a new shooter a 177 rifle and he or she will hit feck all and the same apply ,s to 22

this 177 v 22 is never going to be sorted

a 177 shooter who no,s what he is doing will say 177 is best but the same go,s for a 22 shooter

its the shooter that is best not the cal

I cant shoot 177 to save my life but give me a 22 then its a different story

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

It all boils down to the size of your genitals mate.

If you have small, underdeveloped man vegetables, you will want to compensate for this by buying a larger calibre.

If, however, your tackle is adequate, you won't feel the need to over-compensate and will choose the smaller, yet much more accomplished .177.

Chris

• Like 1

Some great points gents. But some of you are turning this into just another straight up .177 vs .22 thread lol!!

This is all about the spring gun. I really asked because I don't have much experience on .22 springers and wanted some input from those who shoot both cal springers. Are .22 springers really that much nicer to shoot than there .177 counterparts is what I think I really want to know...

IM FECKING SICK OF ALL THIS

i wish you all live,d near me iv say,d it be for and ill say it again

YOU PICK THE TARGET AND HIT IT WITH 177 AND ILL HIT THE SAME TARGET IN THE SAME HOLE WITH 22

and iv done this time and time again out to some good ranges as well

One thing you all seam to for get its not the rifle or the cal its the person behind the rifle that counts

You could give a new shooter a 177 rifle and he or she will hit feck all and the same apply ,s to 22

this 177 v 22 is never going to be sorted

a 177 shooter who no,s what he is doing will say 177 is best but the same go,s for a 22 shooter

its the shooter that is best not the cal

I cant shoot 177 to save my life but give me a 22 then its a different story

Viz messaged me just now and said you couldn't hit a barn door with either caliber. I told you were a good shot though Mac, don't worry ;):D
  • Like 1

It all boils down to the size of your genitals mate.

If you have small, underdeveloped man vegetables, you will want to compensate for this by buying a larger calibre.

If, however, your tackle is adequate, you won't feel the need to over-compensate and will choose the smaller, yet much more accomplished .177.

Chris

(In a DEEP voice) --- Ah, so that`s why Mac likes .22 is it ? Always wondered why such a big bloke, like Mac, has such a high pitched, squeaky voice and wears nail varnish. :yes::icon_redface:

:air_kiss:

To my mind .22 or .177 is not the issue, cheap or expensive also is neither here nor there, will the product one choses be fit for purpose? Will it correspond with ones skills? Or more importantly makes one feel at ease with ones choice and not take any notice of others prejudice. If it is to kill vermin and one has the skills then both can do the job more than adequately as everyone knows.

Just-A-snap

Renos

A new member

• Like 1

To my mind .22 or .177 is not the issue, cheap or expensive also is neither here nor there, will the product one choses be fit for purpose? Will it correspond with ones skills? Or more importantly makes one feel at ease with ones choice and not take any notice of others prejudice. If it is to kill vermin and one has the skills then both can do the job more than adequately as everyone knows.

Just-A-snap

Renos

A new member

SPOT ON BUD SPOT ON :thumbs: