Spring Rifle... .22 Vs .177

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.22 much smoother imo

Mmmmm and the song goes on. Rez makes a good point,- FT and HFT boys use .177 "like it`s going out of fashion".So "why is that"? It is obvious in my mind that hft and ft lads are looking

.22 all day long.

Cheers gents. And mac, thanks for all those email notifications that have just flooded my account lol 'bigmac97kt has quoted a post you made...'

So that's 5-2 to .22 discounting macs extras :p

You know twenty two is the calibre for the spring. I know you know.

• Like 1

A seasoned shooter of spring rifles would say,- smoothness .22.

"---" -----------------"-------------------"------------" ,.177 is utterly lethal when you know how to shoot springers.

A seasoned shooter of PCP`s would say, - .177 , deadly accurate.

" -------------" ----------------" ---------------", - .177 , deadly accurate full bloody stop ! :yes:

At sub 12 ft/lbs .177 is "by far" the dominant calibre,- "you could check air gun/calibre sales if you like" :whistling:

atb

• Like 2

A seasoned shooter of spring rifles would say,- smoothness .22.

"---" -----------------"-------------------"------------" ,.177 is utterly lethal when you know how to shoot springers.

A seasoned shooter of PCP`s would say, - .177 , deadly accurate.

" -------------" ----------------" ---------------", - .177 , deadly accurate full bloody stop ! :yes:

At sub 12 ft/lbs .177 is "by far" the dominant calibre,- "you could check air gun/calibre sales if you like" :whistling:

atb

Without starting an argument, I'd say a 'seasoned' shooter of springers would be the FT and the HFT boys and they use 177 like it's going out of fashion in there set ups.

177 perhaps is more "precise" as you maybe kinda say but only due to its smaller form, but I think, and it's it's only a think, is that the experience with springers is more enjoyable and instructive with .22

I shoot with both calibres successfully for hunting all air gun vermin but where rabbits are concerned, my HW80 FAC .22 or sub 12 HW77 .22 are the rifles I prefer for the better assured knock-down power of the bigger round.

The real answer, honestly, to the "which-caliber-is-best?" debate lies in the individual shooter and his preferred calibre based on experience of shooting both and arriving at a conclusion based soly on experience.

Both calibres are deadly effective for humane killing of vermin, so lonfg as you can shoot accurately into the head of your prey at your comfortable hunting ranges. However, the bigger .22 pellet at sub 12 ft/lbs power is a more effective killer due to its larger size capable of destroying more brain tissue and vital organ matter coupled with a greater degree of shock-impact force. It's more of a powerful blunt instrument.

The .177 round at the same power level reaches the target faster, there's less chance of a wary rabbit making a fast bolt and evading the shot as sometimes happens, it has greater penetration power being smaller than the .22 but, because it is smaller, it does not impart the same degree of stunning knock-down power. Thus, the risk of wounding an animal and to lose it staggering into undergrowth or hedgerow out of reach is greater.

Some shooters can hit their target with phenominal accuracy with one calibre and yet, miss, frustratingly with another. The .177 round flies faster and therefore flatter in trajectory and is generally considered the more accurate round because of this.

In my hands, I can group my HW77 22 inside a pellet hole at 40 metres and within a penny-hole at 50. After that it starts to widen out a little, but that's more than enough to convince me both calbres are superbly precise in their accuracies.

It really does lie with you, how hard are you prepared to practice and perfect your shooting to a high degree of competence to meet the deamnds of your permission and its conditions.

Simon

Only you can find out by sheer trail, error and experience, which calibre is perfect for your shooting requirements.

• Like 2