Catherine Elliot Hancock Lurchers

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've probably had this up more than once before. He was a dog I bought from a greyhound breeder who paid good money for a greyhound stud then his farm collie managed to cover the bitch after she came

Well,... I like Collie x Greyhounds,... I find them just right for the mouching/ferreting/rabbiting game ... I prefer the bitches, as they are generally a tad smaller than the dogs and can still

Some people cant deal with what sometimes a collie type temperament brings and should and would be better off with a different type.

Posted Images

Where 1/2 cross and 3/4 bred lurchers are produced on masse,..the choice of Greyhound dam will often dictate the eventual outcome of a certain litter...Even when mated to Border Collies,Collie Greyhounds,Beardies and even Oz Heelers,..some grand old moms seem to produce a far better end result and consistency than others.... :thumbs:

Sky%20ferreting%20Perhap%20%20076.jpg

we found this with the bull greyhound first cross. One litter to a good game bull produced a storming litter. Very steady temperaments , laid back but very good at their job. The same dog to a different greyhound bitch a few years later produced a litter of sheep killers with not one sensible dog amongst them.
  • Like 2

He used to have quality greyhounds I had a half cross did hard graft for five years running Derbyshire hills mainly its dam was a coursing greyhound and well bred !!

I believe the perfect collie cross is just that a F1 anything else not worth having :(

Look how Hancock soon started breeding 3/8.5/8 crosses lol

And I bet they were not up to much too ;)

Now someone mentioned not minding pet lurchers and racers well I do !!!!!!!

That's where this game started going downhill a lurcher is a hunting dog full stop no hunting and its no lurcher to me lol

ATB

• Like 8

He used to have quality greyhounds I had a half cross did hard graft for five years running Derbyshire hills mainly its dam was a coursing greyhound and well bred !!

I believe the perfect collie cross is just that a F1 anything else not worth having :(

That's where this game started going downhill a lurcher is a hunting dog full stop no hunting and its no lurcher to me lol

ATB

Thing is anyone can produce a good F1 from 2 different breeds. Its when you start crossing them back in to make a type that breeds true you need some skills and thats why Hancock dogs are worse than they used to be. Hancocks are farmers and have never been anything but.

Where 1/2 cross and 3/4 bred lurchers are produced on masse,..the choice of Greyhound dam will often dictate the eventual outcome of a certain litter...Even when mated to Border Collies,Collie Greyhounds,Beardies and even Oz Heelers,..some grand old moms seem to produce a far better end result and consistency than others.... :thumbs:

we found this with the bull greyhound first cross. One litter to a good game bull produced a storming litter. Very steady temperaments , laid back but very good at their job. The same dog to a different greyhound bitch a few years later produced a litter of sheep killers with not one sensible dog amongst them.

two litters from the same matings can be very different.

• Like 3

I think Hancock lurchers are simply pets and/or pretenders dogs these days. I dont want to knock anyone who currently owns a decent one but i'm talking general here.

I'm not saying that they would all be rubbish but fewer and fewer are bought and used by lads that 'really play the game' and they are drifting further and further from being real lurchers. Sad really...

As for that site, where there is serious coin involved, then not a bad word should be said, reputation is everything!

So I ask ya, you boys that dared to speak the truth, did ya expect anything less...?

same sire different dams

I think Hancock lurchers are simply pets and/or pretenders dogs these days. I dont want to knock anyone who currently owns a decent one but i'm talking general here.

I'm not saying that they would all be rubbish but fewer and fewer are bought and used by lads that 'really play the game' and they are drifting further and further from being real lurchers. Sad really...

As for that site, where there is serious coin involved, then not a bad word should be said, reputation is everything!

So I ask ya, you boys that dared to speak the truth, did ya expect anything less...?

Well said that man..every word wrote imo is truthful ?

• Like 1

ATB

Juckler123, there's nothing wrong with people keeping Lurchers as pets. If people want to do simulated coursing and agility or just have them as a companion does it really matter what they do as long as they're looked after properly? A lot of people don't like hunting. Personally it doesn't bother me and I enjoy being out and about with the dogs BUT regardless of where the dogs are going they've all been bred for a purpose and people have chosen that particular cross or type for a purpose. It may be different to yours but people are saying Catherine is blocking people etc because she doesn't agree with hunting comments or whatever it's all about yet you're doing the same thing by not taking into consideration other people's choices to do as they please with their dogs. As far as I'm concerned if they're happy and healthy and well looked after who cares less where they go or what they do. Simulated coursing still keeps the dogs main qualities by embracing the sighthound. Granted it's not as good as the real thing but so what! People enjoy it and so do the dogs and that really is all that matters. Yes we are all aware that the Lurcher game has gone downhill and yes we are all waiting for it to get back to what it was but realistically it's never going to be back to what it was like pre ban. Lurchers do make good pets as well as good workers if given the right training and experiences so don't knock someone's choice of "breed" just because you have different uses than what John smith standing next to you has.

• Like 2

I bred two litters from the same dog and bitch. Bitch was 1/4 Beardie, 3/4 Grey. Dog was lurcher to lurcher for generations. The first litter came out lovely and typey, all very similar to one another. The second litter threw up some almost Collie shapes, and a much wider variety in type and temperament.

• Like 2