Catherine Elliot Hancock Lurchers

On 18/01/2018 at 10:43, colliejohn said:

It's  each to their own  their  not  my cup of tea that's why I breed  my own I know what I'm getting and how they throw  and the collies I keep  are from probably the  best working lines in the country. Regards Collie John…

What lines would they be...? Are they from sheepdogs or cowdogs?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've probably had this up more than once before. He was a dog I bought from a greyhound breeder who paid good money for a greyhound stud then his farm collie managed to cover the bitch after she came

Well,... I like Collie x Greyhounds,... I find them just right for the mouching/ferreting/rabbiting game ... I prefer the bitches, as they are generally a tad smaller than the dogs and can still

Some people cant deal with what sometimes a collie type temperament brings and should and would be better off with a different type.

Posted Images

I've probably had this up more than once before. He was a dog I bought from a greyhound breeder who paid good money for a greyhound stud then his farm collie managed to cover the bitch after she came home. The litter was half pure greyhounds and half lurchers. 

He died of cancer a few years ago at around 9 or 10 if I remember right. He was real nervous as a pup but became very gutsy once settled in and matured. I used him for ferreting mostly but he loved running foxes and would desert a warren if he saw a fox. I wish I had him now. I don't do much ferreting any more but he'd be good for what I do do.

2010_12060008.JPG.471b94ca313104d8cff0a2c52c8819ab.JPG

img006.JPG

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 12
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 16:02, Blackdog92 said:

What lines would they be...? Are they from sheepdogs or cowdogs?

From sheepdogs my dog Dan is out of my old bitch Gwen and Ian Torchie Claytons Dan and my bitches are out of Proper Collies which work and are English and International  Sheepdog Champions their Uncle and Grandsire were International  Supreme  Champion  and Reserve Supreme  Champion in 2017.Regards Collie John.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

From sheepdogs my dog Dan is out of my old bitch Gwen and Ian Torchie Claytons Dan and my bitches are out of Proper Collies which work and are English and International  Sheepdog Champions their Uncle and Grandsire were International  Supreme  Champion  and Reserve Supreme  Champion in 2017.Regards Collie John.

Jock & sweep?

prices of good sheepdogs ?

Last two I bought weren't  much use, had one run over, one near killed by a bloody Labrador and a nasty bas* ard in the last year or so 

finally got a good one but by Christ you pay for em .... Lurchers are dirt cheap in comparison ,no idea why 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ptd87 said:

prices of good sheepdogs ?

Last two I bought weren't  much use, had one run over, one near killed by a bloody Labrador and a nasty bas* ard in the last year or so 

finally got a good one but by Christ you pay for em .... Lurchers are dirt cheap in comparison ,no idea why 

Train them yourself and they won’t cost you a thing. 

• Like 3

I can work a dog but I'm stuffed if I can train one properly lol. I've had grand ideas about training pups in the past but I just don't have time so they get bored/nuts sitting in the truck etc and I get sick of them chewing truck up or I'm running round like a tw*t while they watch me out the window ?.. not fair and entirely my fault. so I buy adults now 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ptd87 said:

I can work a dog but I'm stuffed if I can train one properly lol. I've had grand ideas about training pups in the past but I just don't have time so they get bored/nuts sitting in the truck etc and I get sick of them chewing truck up or I'm running round like a tw*t while they watch me out the window ?.. not fair and entirely my fault. so I buy adults now 

That's why they cost so much:D. Someone else has had to put time in and put up with all the hassle. Adult lurchers that are cheap are probably not great either and lurchers are more a hobby for most people while sheepdogs are to earn a living with.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ptd87 said:

That’s maybe were your going wrong, they won’t learn anything in the truck. 

In my opinion once you’ve learnt the pup to stop your half way there. 99% will run it’s just getting them to stop that can be the tricky bit at times. 

If if you wouldn’t mind telling, what do you pay for a trained dog?

Edited by Blackdog92
  • Like 1
On 24/01/2018 at 16:38, Ptd87 said:

I say Fair play to the fellas who can do it, i bought a 2yr old dog for £2,500 lot of money to me but nothing to some dogs

My mates nephew had a cracking sheepdog he was doing the job at around 9 month only cost a 1er   bull cross it was

• Like 2

I can totally understand how valuable a good working dog is to it's owner but can't get my head round someone being into dogs or working dogs for their job , and then being willing to pay that sort of money rather than training their own.

Surely every working dog you train you learn more about yourself as a trainer and dogs ??

• Like 3

I agree with you Greenshank,  me personally I'd love to have time to train a dog "properly" don't get me wrong I can get a dog to work but not 100% all the time, but I haven't,  I've got way too much work to do as it is. I've not long started farming so work long hours all over the place to pay the bills , so for now buying is my best option 

• Like 2