Catherine Elliot Hancock Lurchers

Any  Hancock dogs throw fits after a bit of  exertion. A friend of mine has a bitch  that does,didn't come from Hancock but has the look about  her (probably bred off one)-it's a pity as she's a gamey little  bitch (does teeth singlehanded)-I heard  it was a genetic fault in some  border  collies

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've probably had this up more than once before. He was a dog I bought from a greyhound breeder who paid good money for a greyhound stud then his farm collie managed to cover the bitch after she came

Well,... I like Collie x Greyhounds,... I find them just right for the mouching/ferreting/rabbiting game ... I prefer the bitches, as they are generally a tad smaller than the dogs and can still

Some people cant deal with what sometimes a collie type temperament brings and should and would be better off with a different type.

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

Any  Hancock dogs throw fits after a bit of  exertion. A friend of mine has a bitch  that does,didn't come from Hancock but has the look about  her (probably bred off one)-it's a pity as she's a gamey little  bitch (does teeth singlehanded)-I heard  it was a genetic fault in some  border  collies

dose hancock not tattoo all his pups anymore?

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

dose hancock not tattoo all his pups anymore?

He does but not always. When I bought mine off him I had been delayed through a road accident that had occured on the motoeway so I was in a hurry to catch the ferry (back to Ireland). The silly old fool was trying to find a 3 and pondering whether to use a capital E backwards. Also Sally had promised my pup to someone else so he had wasted a lot of time showing me totally unsuitable, older pups. To cut the story short I left without the tattoo, missed the ferry anyway and spent the night in the port with my two youngest kids.

I'm pretty sure the bitch's run as well as she would have if she had the tattoo anyway. She's great at hunting in woodland and seems to drive big stuff back towards me. Coincidence?, who knows?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Ifae yout ask bird if he would get another like Bryn his answer would be no.to much collie can be a bad thing

Yes mate he would BUT i do believe Ray's had his head turned when Buck came along and good for him.

As for too much collie, well that's down to the person who ownes the dog and for many people Bryn or any f1 collie cross suit em just fine.

For me, Bryn would also be too much collie but then in my post, i'm only talking about using Bryn, or a working f1 collie cross, 'over' sommat else....

5 hours ago, tinytiger said:

I once had a big lump of a collie cross (looked like a bull cross) that would fit if over excited not exerted. First time it happened lamping was a shocker and to the vets we went. Though mine wasn't a Hancock.

Vet said it was a fault with some collie lines. Heart valve can sort of spasm and cause a bit of blood to flow back causing the fit but as long as the dog comes round quick enough, no problem.

I continued with him and his fitting for a few years after, didn't bother either of us and it only ever happened if he'd had a lay off and then on his first run. Just too excited. After that he'd catch gear all night....

17 hours ago, darbo said:

Some people cant deal with what sometimes a collie type temperament brings and should and would be better off with a different type.

Very true. Sometimes their character is almost a contradiction of itself, combining extreme sensativity with strong drive. Easy to feck up but good if you get it right.

When they're like that they're no good for a short tempered or impatient person but do well with encouragement when they get it right. I like them myself and I've had some over the years that would take almost anything..:thumbs:

The brindle bitch in the photo was one.

Mating 001.PNG

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 4
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 20:27, Bosun11 said:

I once had a big lump of a collie cross (looked like a bull cross) that would fit if over excited not exerted. First time it happened lamping was a shocker and to the vets we went. Though mine wasn't a Hancock.

Vet said it was a fault with some collie lines. Heart valve can sort of spasm and cause a bit of blood to flow back causing the fit but as long as the dog comes round quick enough, no problem.

I continued with him and his fitting for a few years after, didn't bother either of us and it only ever happened if he'd had a lay off and then on his first run. Just too excited. After that he'd catch gear all night....

Same thIng by the sounds of it.