Catherine Elliot Hancock Lurchers

• 2 years later...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've probably had this up more than once before. He was a dog I bought from a greyhound breeder who paid good money for a greyhound stud then his farm collie managed to cover the bitch after she came

Well,... I like Collie x Greyhounds,... I find them just right for the mouching/ferreting/rabbiting game ... I prefer the bitches, as they are generally a tad smaller than the dogs and can still

Some people cant deal with what sometimes a collie type temperament brings and should and would be better off with a different type.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 18:31, jeemes said:

Thing is anyone can produce a good F1 from 2 different breeds. Its when you start crossing them back in to make a type that breeds true you need some skills and thats why Hancock dogs are worse than they used to be. Hancocks are farmers and have never been anything but.

The thing is however that whether Hancock was a chicken farmer or a collie, greyhound farmer he started breeding in the 1980s.

Here we are in 2018 & his Daughter Sally now runs the business so with decades of breeding so many pups in all manner of equations SURELY THEY WILL HAVE GAINED THE KNOWLEDGE DUE TO PUBLIC FEEDBACK ALONE ON WHAT SEEMS TO BE WORK BEST & FROM WHAT STUD LINE ETC.

Personally I have no axe to grind regarding the purchase of a Hancock dog but I believe that they suffered from too much exposure from a certain writer of what was often simply nonsense.

Modern media put's us all in an environment where we can look at what we are buying & not relying upon bullshit or second hand talk. Certainly the collie Xs I now see from Hancock's seem to be a bit more level headed as opposed to some of the deranged rough coated creatures i saw at shows & had to handle in the showring. I used to be quite taken aback when I had to handle some nervy thing doing somersaults on a leash because simply put A LURCHER OF SUCH BREEDING SHOULD BE FAR MORE TRACTABLE & EASILY HANDLED THAN THAT.

Anyway that's just my opinion ATB Optimus

:thumbs:

17 minutes ago, optimus said:

The thing is however that whether Hancock was a chicken farmer or a collie, greyhound farmer he started breeding in the 1980s.

Here we are in 2018 & his Daughter Sally now runs the business so with decades of breeding so many pups in all manner of equations SURELY THEY WILL HAVE GAINED THE KNOWLEDGE DUE TO PUBLIC FEEDBACK ALONE ON WHAT SEEMS TO BE WORK BEST & FROM WHAT STUD LINE ETC.

Personally I have no axe to grind regarding the purchase of a Hancock dog but I believe that they suffered from too much exposure from a certain writer of what was often simply nonsense.

Modern media put's us all in an environment where we can look at what we are buying & not relying upon bullshit or second hand talk. Certainly the collie Xs I now see from Hancock's seem to be a bit more level headed as opposed to some of the deranged rough coated creatures i saw at shows & had to handle in the showring. I used to be quite taken aback when I had to handle some nervy thing doing somersaults on a leash because simply put A LURCHER OF SUCH BREEDING SHOULD BE FAR MORE TRACTABLE & EASILY HANDLED THAN THAT.

I have one of those hairy mad b*****ds you descrbe ?

On 24/10/2015 at 23:23, neil b said:

That's me then pal, banned! I only stated that none of there dogs were capable of a day/ nights work and they only produced pups per public demand. Having said that I own one and am happy with her but wouldn't have another, that's all

What is it that would stop you then Neil?

I've got a Hancock half x too and am in the same boat, but if I ever have another dog it would definately be a collie x, maybe 3/4 grey, and I would take a punt on a Hancock if nothing else came up.

is it the collie you dont get on with or just Hancocks stuff in general?

I would like to see a bloke like northernite  have a hancock  dog because  he puts the work in front of the dogs I think someone  like him would find out if these dogs could really  do a days work a lot of hancocks  dogs go to people  that do an odd  day here and there 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

I would like to see a bloke like northernite  have a hancock  dog because  he puts the work in front of the dogs I think someone  like him would find out if these dogs could really  do a days work a lot of hancocks  dogs go to people  that do an odd  day here and there 

There's 2  people on here with Hancock dogs that are putting rabbits in front of them,and they are doing well. 

19 hours ago, optimus said:

Brian Plummer and D Hancock marketed these dogs very cleverly. They even gave them a pointless gimicky colour to make them look like they had something new to offer. They took bull shitty pictures of snared foxes and made it look like his dogs had caught them. It was and is all bullshit. They are off the shelf lurchers with nothing behind there breeding. Anybody wanting to breed a Collie type lurcher would be better going to Birds dog Bryn before its too old. A real rabbit catcher with breeding behind it. And no I dont know Bird!!! 

• Like 4

:hmm: Well,... I like Collie x Greyhounds,... I find them just right for the mouching/ferreting/rabbiting game ...

I prefer the bitches, as they are generally a tad smaller than the dogs and can still easily pursue a bolter, in and out of the hedge bottom, without too much injury. A further improvement can be often be achieved, by dint of whippet blood, this can reduce the overall size and makes them really handy, for the hedgerow rabbiting enthusiast... 

Yeah, Collie x Greyhounds, I think I like em'.:thumbs:

_DSC0207.thumb.jpg.1835db70d69e14b160141222d37f262a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like em myself think for abit of this n that they good dogs but as said only really see lurchers with a chunk of collie in them i aint seen many dogs lately straight collie greyhound is what i mean and the ones that are about dont seem to have many collie greyhound bitches going to them do they. 

Mind remember seeing a real nice one on here howler or something similar id love an animal like that for finding in the forests.

44 minutes ago, edrd said:

There is two that’s stood out from the rest in the past decade SNIPE and that little KAT.  She mullered foxes for a small bitch both had Hancock and beardie blood but like most lurcher s they proberly better with the addded outcross blood I’ve onwned a few but the bitch of Fuji’s jack to the grey was something else ??there’s better x and collie blooded lurcher out there il never feel the need to buy from Hancock ??prefer the bitza myself these days like Phil says I’d be no good at breeding ??each to their own  

Thought kat was a wheaton cross