Thinking Of A Redtail

Hiya lads as you've probably seen from my other posts I've currently got a female Harris. She's doing well but I've got to the point where I fancy a new challenge. Will always love flying the harris' but I want to try something different. Been thinking of a female redtail for hares and squirrels and the usual rabbiting. Any of you lads flown one? How did you find it.

Was thinking of flying a goshawk but I do too much lamping to fit around work and I feel like a goshawk is overkill for the lamp. Thanks lads

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I thought my Harris was never going to work with my pointer I gave serious thought to what I would obtain next. I think most people want a go at hunting with a goshawk so I looked into them. The

im on my second year of trying for the hares with my female gos, she's had a good 4 now in her grip which have all got away, she flown about 10 now in total(one today) and she seems more determined ea

I flew a redtail for about 8 or 9 years. They are great hawks as long as you get them fit. Mine took a wide range of quarry, such as squirrel,rabbit,moorhen,duck and pheasant occasionally as well a

I flew a redtail for about 8 or 9 years.

They are great hawks as long as you get them fit.

Mine took a wide range of quarry, such as squirrel,rabbit,moorhen,duck and pheasant occasionally as well as a few pigeons and an odd crow.

They were good natured and fairly straightforward to train and hunt.

Mine would follow on as well as soar above.

The biggest hurdle I had was when ferreting. I couldn't trust them 100% not kill them.

I never tried lamping them, though I don't see it as a problem.

Its interesting as when looking at the prices of them now, they are considerably dearer than the Harris',

whereas years ago, they were quite hard to sell as everyone wanted the Harris'.

I got given a female redtail that no one wanted. She turned out a good hawk.

Personally speaking, for rabbiting I don't think you can beat a good Harris' for ease and enjoyment.

But for squirrel hawking I think a redtail is better as they are capable of sustaining the inevitable bites that will happen.

• Like 1

Ive always wanted to fly a redtail as I would want a huge female.as I flown Harris for 8 years and then got fed up flying them and sold my good female Harris on.And then a mate asked me do I want to fly a female goshawk for a season to see if I could handle a goshawk and I was hooked on them and ordered a untouched bird the following on season.but ive it still in the back of my head to order a redtail for next season and put the gos up for a year to get the redtail going.

You don't hear much about great hare red tails though do you? or I haven't anyway.......

Just get a goshawk........because that's where you'll end up eventually anyway.....you know it makes sense :-)

• Like 1

You'll get hares with red tail if you give the bird a chance to catch one .as it took me the second season to get a hare with the gos as I showed her plenty just never got the head hold right.and the best way to work a red tail is on the soar with springer running the cover for the bird

You'll get hares with red tail if you give the bird a chance to catch one .as it took me the second season to get a hare with the gos as I showed her plenty just never got the head hold right.and the best way to work a red tail is on the soar with springer running the cover for the bird

I thought they would be great for hare hawking, there just didn't seem to be many using them as serious hare hawks........maybe a fashion thing? Or a fitness thing.....

Edited by Accip74

That's the problem mate the harris is just too easy and bomb proof. No challenge in it. The excitement is still there for the chase but everything is just seems too repetitive. Need a fresh start to get it going again.

Truth be told I'd rather have a gos especially now I've got the pointer pup but lamping wise I'm not sure that's what I would want to do with a gos

Tbh mate I think the lamping will be pretty much the same, regardless of Harris, red tail or gos........which begs the question, is it worth changing?

Are you really that limited for daytime hawking?

• Like 1

That's the problem mate the harris is just too easy and bomb proof. No challenge in it. The excitement is still there for the chase but everything is just seems too repetitive. Need a fresh start to get it going again.

Truth be told I'd rather have a gos especially now I've got the pointer pup but lamping wise I'm not sure that's what I would want to do with a gos

If I was you if you can get a red tail on loan for a season to see if that bird is for you and try the same for a gos.and I love lamping the gos as its a change of the bird and get alot more flights on the lamp to. Edited by sean goshawk

Only thing though mate i would be lamping the gos 5 days a week. Don't you think that's abit of a waste for them? They make rabbits look easy enough through the day let alone lamping.

Yeh I think it's a waste, but wouldn't it be the same with a red tail?

Sorry mate, I didn't mean the catch rate, I meant the whole experience..........lamping is just lamping isn't it?

.....for ferreted rabbits....stand further away with a male, now that's sport!