The Head Said No

NELS0N

After suffering with a migraine for most of the afternoon yesterday, I decided to raid the medicine cabinet for my tea. It wasn't long before I was passed out on the couch, waking up around 11 pm. :icon_redface:

There was no way I'd get back to sleep, so out came the needles with the intention to knit a few purse nets. I managed a few rows on the second net before I lost interest, all the while i was wanting to be out using a net, not knitting one.

The problem was the weather, the sun was shining all day with clear blue skies, and no wind. My head kept saying its a bad idea, rabbits out feeding all day and basking in the sunshine, coupled with no wind it was a no go. However, one can only take so many "nice dog mate" posts, I decided to go out, try my luck.

So made a quick flask of coffee, boots on, jacket loaded with pegs which I'd whittled over the weekend plus a 50 yard 4z net. I had a few little spots in mind, not heaving with rabbits but normally a few kicking about. I was of the mind that with less rabbits on the ground and no wind, there'd be less ears to catch me out.

I landed at the first drop, a small field with an old railway embankment running along the side. About a third of the way down there's a nice set which I used to ferret as a young lad. To have any chance of getting the net out unnoticed I had to enter from the next field and come back towards the direction I was currently looking.

I was soon into position, pin in the ground and slowly started to run the net out. I had a good backstop of mixed cover from the embankment, a very slight quartering breeze in my face ( a few knots at most) If anything was to give me away it would be noise, so I had to take my time.

After what felt like an age the last peg and end pin were in the ground, made my way round to the top of the field and began my walk, tapping my boot with a spare peg as I went.

Id got 2/3 of the field done when the dinner bell started to ring, a few seconds later another at the other end of the net. :boogy: Once id finished banting the field, it was time to kill off the net and extract my prize. Typically the breeze picked up as I was putting the net away and it started to rain. The lovely weather girl was wrong once again. Net up, rabbits legged, I made my way back to the motor. As I wasn't expecting a kill I'd left the camera at home, so it was a quick photo with the phone and in the cab for a cup of coffee before the drive home.

This game never ceases to amaze me, we've all had those nights where you think you cant fail. Everything's in place, a nice dark night, a good wind off the rabbits, the net fly's out and you catch nothing. I honestly wasn't expecting to make a kill but the slimmest chance to outwit even a single rabbit was enough to get me out in the field and I'm glad I did.

A bit more food for the stinkers and something for her indoors to cook later in the week. ;)

Sorry for the quality of the photo.

post-79188-0-72825400-1445441225_thumb.jpg

Edited by NELS0N
  • Like 18

That was a good read. When youre using a traditional longnet do you pull the entire net out and then walk along the net putting the poles in place?

No mate, I peg as i go. I dont want the net picking up crap with it laying on the floor, keeps noise and movement down down to a minimum also. :thumbs:

• Like 2