• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FHH Flyer

FHH Flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:47 pm

Well yesterday was the day Merlin came off the creance for the first time weighing in at a scale busting 1lb 1oz!! Up until yesterday I haven't shown or used a dummy bunny with him as he has been quite nervous through training but thought I would get it out for him while he was flying tree to tree. No sooner had I started pulling the dummy out of the tree he came like a missile and hit it no hesitation :icon_eek: .I couldn't be more pleased with the way he has turned out. Now to get him entered and off to a good start.

I'll try and get some picture of him tomorrow.

• woodman likes this

#2 pointer

pointer

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:16 pm

Good luck with it all.

#3 mick1212

mick1212

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:31 pm

Like to see a pic of him he a bit on the small side sounds like a Peruvian Harris great birds

#4 FHH Flyer

FHH Flyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:54 am

Like to see a pic of him he a bit on the small side sounds like a Peruvian Harris great birds

He is certainly the size of a peruvian but as there aren't many breeders in the uk i'm not sure he is. The guy that I bought him from certainly didn't have any but he was in an aviary on his own and I didn't pay peruvian prices for him.

#5 All-terrain

All-terrain

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:04 pm

sounds like an Ethiopian to me lol atb AT

#6 sean goshawk

sean goshawk

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:06 pm

His not a big Harris make sure when he gets the hold of a rabbit run like a mad man after him as he mite find it hard to stop the rabbit on a head hold .as the rabbit could run on with him still attached to the rabbit.

#7 Accip74

Accip74

Hardcore Belgian Ale Drinker, so there..

• Members
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:39 pm

His not a big Harris make sure when he gets the hold of a rabbit run like a mad man after him as he mite find it hard to stop the rabbit on a head hold .as the rabbit could run on with him still attached to the rabbit.

They'll still run with a 1lb 8oz a Harris attached, so a 1lb 1oz bird is in for some ride!

Corvids from out of a window I reckon.......;-)
  • HPR likes this

#8 sean goshawk

sean goshawk

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:10 pm

They'll still run with a 1lb 8oz a Harris attached, so a 1lb 1oz bird is in for some ride!
Corvids from out of a window I reckon.......;-)

Yeah ive even seen it with my female gos shes 2lb 7 oz and on a head hold ive seen them run on to with her still attached.

#9 charlie caller

charlie caller

Triple Two Fan

• Donator
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:08 am

My little male, 1lb3oz got pulled down many a rabbit hole lamping, it was rather frustrating, as he would hit rabbit after rabbit, and lose a good few if I could not get to him in time, for that reason, for my type of hawking, I would never have another male.

#10 sean goshawk

sean goshawk

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:13 pm

My little male, 1lb3oz got pulled down many a rabbit hole lamping, it was rather frustrating, as he would hit rabbit after rabbit, and lose a good few if I could not get to him in time, for that reason, for my type of hawking, I would never have another male.

I think its a male thing as I had a mate that had a male goshawk and couldn't hold a rabbit down as the female have bigger feet and hold on better.

#11 Accip74

Accip74

Hardcore Belgian Ale Drinker, so there..

• Members
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:36 pm

Tbh if you've got a male of the right size, ie anything above 1lb 7oz, rabbits shouldn't be much of a problem......

The last male gos I flew in the UK was around 1lb 11oz + & he was absolutely deadly on rabbits, put a few females to shame in the field as well......;-)

Edited by Accip74, 21 October 2015 - 06:37 pm.

• downsouth likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users