charlie caller a wize man once revered by J,F.K. said... when you know the truth you will act... . This is what happened to me when the claims made by the 22 devotes where discovered to be false. I went 177 . Its like dropping the red pill I can no longer go back .

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanyou for your erudite explanation,you are correct about my sexual leanings,I freely admit to being a raving lesbian,albeit trapped in a mans body are you alluding to my debatable sexuality,or the

Iv say,d this before you pick a target and let fly a 177 and ill put the 22 on top of yours shot for shot   me and vis were doing this at the farm he put a 177 pellet in a 177 size hole in the wall

Good advice above, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for,dont fall into the trap of buying a cheap and cheerful starter rifle,unless all you want to do is plink tin cans, I have no ide

Iv say,d this before you pick a target and let fly a 177 and ill put the 22 on top of yours shot for shot

me and vis were doing this at the farm he put a 177 pellet in a 177 size hole in the wall and i put the 22 in the same hole every single shot .

at the end of the day its what ever cal you prefer

its not the cal its the person behind the rifle that is the best :thumbs:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

I`ll stress it again,- yes i totally agree "in open areas" !

Reproduce that test through spindle branches and the trajectory of the .22 lets it down "not it`s accuracy".

I can thread a .177 within a 1 inch flight path through those tight branches out to 40 yds using the cross hair only, .22 requires hold over and your shot becomes a "I hope i miss the spindle" shot.

atb

I`ll stress it again,- yes i totally agree "in open areas" !

Reproduce that test through spindle branches and the trajectory of the .22 lets it down "not it`s accuracy".

I can thread a .177 within a 1 inch flight path through those tight branches out to 40 yds using the cross hair only, .22 requires hold over and your shot becomes a "I hope i miss the spindle" shot.

atb

300+ crows in three after noon's with 22 and not one miss puts that theory to bed Mark

just ask vis

both on 22 mate and spring rifles to boot one

pro sport 22

one

tx 200 22

sorry bud but you will have to come up with some thing more than that. :tongue2:

If you no your rifle and your kit branches should not mater :tongue2:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

well as YOU have say,d your self in the past

that 177 is easier to shoot as it fly,s flatter and is better for shooting throu branches as its flatter trajectory helps

you who shoot 177 only shoot it becouse its easy and you lot cant get your heads around 22

SO ITS THE 22 SHOOTERS THAT ARE THE MARKSMAN NOT 177 SHOOTERS

get out of that mark its your own words

atvbmac no3 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The times when .22 is required is when the shooter is not as good a marksman with the shot placement as .177 is.

:snack: here we go

Say,s the man that used to own all of these

1, Relum Tornado 1976 .22

2, BSA Meteor .22

3, BSA Mercury .22

4, BSA Airsporter .22

5, FWB Sport 127 1980 ish - 2013 same gun .22

TRAITOR springs to MIND

TWAT

• Like 1

Oh yes from the early 70`s right through to 2013 i shot .22 exclusively.

I went along to the new ranges in my neighborhood, shot the HW 100 .177 and my 40 year marriage with .22 was "OVER" :yes: .

A .177 cal pcp is a very "forgiving" cal/rifle combination and the flat trajectory a million miles better for shooting through dense branches,- no one will ever persuade me differently :no: .

To understand milldot calibration on a .22 or .177 or any other calibre is easy, if memory is a problem, a short pencil will cure it.

Now pick up a .177 springer, or .22, and "hold sensitivity" kicks in does it not ?

So, for me, .177 and .22 are every bit as accurate as each other, - "on open ground or open areas" but in dense woodland or branches the flat trajectory of .177 far surpasses the loopier trajectory of .22 for "threading" your shot to it`s target.

It may sway one or two`s thoughts if the HFT lads were asked their preferred calibre and "WHY",- would it not ?

atb

p.s. Mac :feck:

Oh yes from the early 70`s right through to 2013 i shot .22 exclusively.

I went along to the new ranges in my neighborhood, shot the HW 100 .177 and my 40 year marriage with .22 was "OVER" :yes: .

A .177 cal pcp is a very "forgiving" cal/rifle combination and the flat trajectory a million miles better for shooting through dense branches,- no one will ever persuade me differently :no: .

To understand milldot calibration on a .22 or .177 or any other calibre is easy, if memory is a problem, a short pencil will cure it.

Now pick up a .177 springer, or .22, and "hold sensitivity" kicks in does it not ?

So, for me, .177 and .22 are every bit as accurate as each other, - "on open ground or open areas" but in dense woodland or branches the flat trajectory of .177 far surpasses the loopier trajectory of .22 for "threading" your shot to it`s target.

It may sway one or two`s thoughts if the HFT lads were asked their preferred calibre and "WHY",- would it not ?

atb

p.s. Mac :feck:

Nope, I think you will find its a hangover from the old days of outward scoring in Top level competition. .177 is favoured for virtually ever type of competitive air shooting because the pellet is smaller and therefore likely to score fractions more. With changes in the way top competitions are scored these days, ie electronically, and commonly down to 0.1 (or more) of a point it isn't quite so important. However, with the lighter weight of .177 there is less likelihood of shooter/rifle movement upon firing, a tiny difference which will only show in very few cases but may still win a competition over .22. HFT doesn't allow any scope alterations etc so a flatter trajectory may also be of some assistance with .177.

There is no specific suggestion or scientific evidence that I am aware of that suggests .177 is intrinsically more accurate than .22, indeed if more air competitions were held outside today, rather than virtually all of them inside you may actually find .22 takes over.

Both have their uses, advantages and disadvantages, which Is why I suspect both will be around for a long time yet.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I started in .177, soon saw the light! .22 os nice, but .20 is simply the best. End of ;)

My missus swears by her air arms S400 in .177, ive recently got rid of my springers (4 of them, half and half .22 and .20) ive just got my HW100KT in .22, only because I couldn't get a .20 in a reasonable timeframe. When funds allow I will be ordering a .20 HW100.

.177 is a brilliant target shooting round but for hunting i prefer the smack of the bigger rounds.

Sean