Identifying Edible Fungi

Better to stick with just a few of the common ones that are good eating like the cepe and birch bolete. They are pretty distinctive once you've figured them out.

I was brought up around it with my mum and grandad knowing loads more good ones but I tend not to piss about and take chances with more obscure ones. Most of what I find round here are orange birch bolete or cepe anyway

Any pic,s mate.

Better to stick with just a few of the common ones that are good eating like the cepe and birch bolete. They are pretty distinctive once you've figured them out.

I was brought up around it with my mum and grandad knowing loads more good ones but I tend not to piss about and take chances with more obscure ones. Most of what I find round here are orange birch bolete or cepe anyway

Any pic,s mate.

Cep

http://www.wildmushroomsonline.co.uk/Identifying-Edible-Mushrooms-The-Cep/index.php

Orange birch bolete

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/leccinum-versipelle.php

Both look pretty similar as they're both part of the same family. Both are really tasty. OBB is found around birch trees and has a more orange tint to it.

As the other lad said field mushrooms are another commonly found easy to recognise one

Done this thred a few weeks back Buster. After reading the posts I went an bought the Observers book on the subject for a fiver.

In my opinion it's a fecking minefield mate, with just as many confusion species as edibles, that'll have you in hospital or worse...!

So feck that, i'm picking feck all till i can get out with an expierienced forager, i'm too young an pretty to die over a poxy mushroom..!

Yes, the same question came up a while back and though its not a paper-back this is the only book I would bother with if you are a novice mushroom hunter.

post-13773-0-78925300-1444654983_thumb.jpg

post-13773-0-30818500-1444654999_thumb.jpg

Its worth noting that the author is also a fisherman and hunter . I've recommended his book so often I should be his agent:)

• Like 1

Stay well away from anything with white gills, white or off white cap and slender stems. Could well be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroying_angel Even one in a basket of edible field mushrooms can contaminate the whole lot, and kill you.

Important to see how different they look when young and haven't yet grown a stem. I wouldn't even touch an unknown specimen of fungi in case it was one of those that can contaminate all it touches. Turn it over with your foot or a stick if you are unsure.

With the boletus family, or any mushroom for that matter, their colours can be very different depending on the weather and the type of soil they have grown in. It really is a minefield out there> best to go with someone who knows their fungi very well before going it alone. But the only book I would recommend is this one, though hardly a pocket hand book, but is nonetheless very clear with excellent photos:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Roger-Phillips/dp/0330442376

Thanks for all your input and pic,s folks, i have been picking and eating Fungi all my life but only Horse/Field Mushrooms and Blue Stalks, i see so many different types while out with the dog and think if they are edible its such a shame to walk on by, i,ll get one of the recommened books and have a read, i might also see if there are any forageing groups near me, many thanks, buster.

• Like 1