Identifying Edible Fungi

Done this thred a few weeks back Buster. After reading the posts I went an bought the Observers book on the subject for a fiver.

In my opinion it's a fecking minefield mate, with just as many confusion species as edibles, that'll have you in hospital or worse...!

So feck that, i'm picking feck all till i can get out with an expierienced forager, i'm too young an pretty to die over a poxy mushroom..!

when picking, always make a note of what trees, if any, the shrooms are growing with and the area/habitat take a couple home, take a spore print. check the gills etc. all this gives a better chance of a positive I.D. only ever eat what your 110% certain of. i'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the fellows that will kill you or put you in hospital, then you know what to avoid...regards book, the roger philips book is the best bar none, but it's a bit big to use as a field guide...

Yokel

Would have said honey fungus and trametes versicolour at a vague guess. Wouldn't bet my life on it though ;)

could be turkey tails, very old specimens, but usually a lot more of them on the trunk...wouldn't bet my life either.... :thumbs:

Yokel

Edited by YOKEL
  • Like 1

Collins did a really good small pocket field guide.

Roger Phillips is the best as has been already said but it's A4 sized .

You need to be 100% on your id . As some are edible and others poisonous and just to confuse you even more others are edible but become poisonous if taken with alcohol.

Always keep a small bag of what you eat in a bag in the fridge so if it does go pear shaped and you accidently poison yourself you can show doctors what it was you ate. It's easier to id the fungi from the bag than from your sick.

Better to stick with just a few of the common ones that are good eating like the cepe and birch bolete. They are pretty distinctive once you've figured them out.

I was brought up around it with my mum and grandad knowing loads more good ones but I tend not to piss about and take chances with more obscure ones. Most of what I find round here are orange birch bolete or cepe anyway

• Like 2

Better to stick with just a few of the common ones that are good eating like the cepe and birch bolete. They are pretty distinctive once you've figured them out.

I was brought up around it with my mum and grandad knowing loads more good ones but I tend not to piss about and take chances with more obscure ones. Most of what I find round here are orange birch bolete or cepe anyway

That's the best advice for a novice, focus on one or two species that are easy to indentify and common in your area.

Ceps, field mushrooms and giant puffballs are all relatively common and easy to indentify without any really nasty look-alikes. Good eating too :thumbs: