Longnetting Foliage

pie-eater

Unless of course man in his ignorance then goes down the pathogenic path again as in 1953,by 1955 95% of the rabbit population was decimated,from a hunting point of view we are lucky the rabbits fecundity is what it is,amazing.there are now three times as many as what there was then.Which to some degree is worrying,for if it is decided at government level to be a pest threat who knows what they will now unleash upon the humble bunny.

Edited by woodman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been doing it for years, great sport with a pointer. Instead of surrounding the patch try and guess where the rabbit is going to run too and see if you can cut it off with a smaller net. I used to use

Gave it a try tonight after work. Small clump of dense brambles. I had a 25 yarder on me but just ran out 8 or 9 where I thought a rabbit might sneak across into the wood. Left the dog do his own thi

The thing with nets is if you can set a net anywhere rabbits travel you can catch them. Don't be afraid to try different things, some will work and some won't but unless you try you will never know.

Ill definitely be trying again, I have a spot on a cricket green to try, this spot has a rabbit fence all the way around apart from a gap about 6yds, the rabbits have gotten under the rabbit fence in places so Im wondering if I should block these gaps with some of the logs that are laying around so they have no choice but to go through the 6yd gap.

• Like 1

I would do the blocking a week in advance and go and drop somewhere else (thats the advantage of having more than one piece of ground scoped out"options")this will give them time to get accustomed to going through the 6yd gap and if possible go a least a couple times in that week to fill and block any digs they may have started now their runs are blocked.Do not forget to take the wind direction into account and pick a night when its blowing the same way you want them to bolt,so they do not get your scent when you are setting or you will be trying to spook an empty field.Because they would have bolted in every direction other than the one you want them too.

Edited by woodman
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been doing it for years, great sport with a pointer. Instead of surrounding the patch try and guess where the rabbit is going to run too and see if you can cut it off with a smaller net. I used to use a 15 yard net. Some of the drops you have to be quite imaginative as to how you set the net.

2003_0101hardground0001.jpg

2003_0101hardground0002.jpg

Try and use the wind so that you are pushing the rabbits to run with the wind.

2003_0101hardground0004.jpg

TC

good post tc ,because of this post its re kindled my interest in netting ,went out with the dogs this morning and did exactly this ! managed 2 rabbits off 3 sets ,"must try harder lol" the dogs aint the most sedate with bunnies to say the least !they are more accustomed to tracking deer and wildfowling " 2 year old gwp(still a pup) aka da wooluff and a 6 year old lab x gwp aka da hairy crocodile " but its the most fun ive had in ages ,cant handle long lengths of net now at night but this is DOOABLE thank you

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

good read im a great believer of learning from your mistakes and capatiising on them big style ,thats what makes hunting fishing exiting ,long nets have paid there way this season with time and cacthes no walking over burries a quick walk round peging them in dogs ready ferrets in woosh rabbits bolting left and [bANNED TEXT] ,,saves me a lot of time rather tnan setting purse nets , dog long net deadly ,

Edited by fluff