Longnetting Foliage

pie-eater

I was out ferreting the other day having a bit of a crap morning due to there being very few rabbits to ground, I got bored and surrounded a large patch of stinging nettles with my long net, got in there and bashed about with my spade and drove a rabbit out into the net. Does anyone else use longnets in this way?

Also has anyone ever tried laying a longnet between a crop that is being cut and the rabbits warren?

Edited by pie-eater

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been doing it for years, great sport with a pointer. Instead of surrounding the patch try and guess where the rabbit is going to run too and see if you can cut it off with a smaller net. I used to use

Gave it a try tonight after work. Small clump of dense brambles. I had a 25 yarder on me but just ran out 8 or 9 where I thought a rabbit might sneak across into the wood. Left the dog do his own thi

The thing with nets is if you can set a net anywhere rabbits travel you can catch them. Don't be afraid to try different things, some will work and some won't but unless you try you will never know.

Been doing it for years, great sport with a pointer. Instead of surrounding the patch try and guess where the rabbit is going to run too and see if you can cut it off with a smaller net. I used to use a 15 yard net. Some of the drops you have to be quite imaginative as to how you set the net.

2003_0101hardground0001.jpg

2003_0101hardground0002.jpg

Try and use the wind so that you are pushing the rabbits to run with the wind.

2003_0101hardground0004.jpg

TC

• Like 12

Some thing I have been meaning to do I know a small wood that has clumps of cover along the top and twice the lurcher has marked one particular patch and I lob a stone in and a rabbit has used the same route each time to nip across into the wood. His in for a surprise the next time he tries it :)

• Like 5

ive a great little spot for working a net like that, have had some good results and its a good bit of sport. I've got a nice little bit of young woodland to do in a few weeks, 25 yards of net and beat through. If i can find the video camera and tripod i'd like to film the action at the net. :thumbs:

• Like 4

When we take the dogs over the local golf course at night my son often puts a short net in his poachers pocket and picks up the odd rabbit as I beat threw the rough . its a great way to be in and out and nobodies any the wiser

• Like 3

I hadn't realised this was a common method, I don't work a dog but I can see how that would make things easier. Ill give it another go soon.

The thing with nets is if you can set a net anywhere rabbits travel you can catch them. Don't be afraid to try different things, some will work and some won't but unless you try you will never know.

TC

• Like 8

I hadn't realised this was a common method, I don't work a dog but I can see how that would make things easier. Ill give it another go soon.

TC

It was nice catching a rabbit with a new method. I also have 3 separate spots where Im thinking about trying a night time drop, never tried night time longnetting before so should be interesting.

• Like 2

Careful you will end up a net junky like me. I have one night time drop that is only 5 yards wide, but it picks up a rabbit or two each time I use it. Don't be afraid of experimenting because as sure as eggs is eggs you will not learn any other way.

TC

• Like 5

Gave it a try tonight after work. Small clump of dense brambles. I had a 25 yarder on me but just ran out 8 or 9 where I thought a rabbit might sneak across into the wood.

Left the dog do his own thing while I set the net. Then walked around the other side and there he was marking the cover. I ploughed in up to me chest try to tramp it down. Only a took a few yards and I saw the net bouncing down below me. There was no quick way of going forward or back so I gave the dog a yell. He was way ahead of me and was on route lol. He pinned it in the net until I got there though that is a generous description :laugh:

Great bit of fun for ten minutes and really perked me up and the dog enjoyed it too :thumbs: The best thing is that cunning plan will work till the day I die as long as there is rabbits about

22170819305_9e101b1bc8_b.jpg

and I get some therapeutic leaf plucking out at the weekend

21548106644_48b69a51c9_b.jpg

• Like 9

Gave it a try tonight after work. Small clump of dense brambles. I had a 25 yarder on me but just ran out 8 or 9 where I thought a rabbit might sneak across into the wood.

Left the dog do his own thing while I set the net. Then walked around the other side and there he was marking the cover. I ploughed in up to me chest try to tramp it down. Only a took a few yards and I saw the net bouncing down below me. There was no quick way of going forward or back so I gave the dog a yell. He was way ahead of me and was on route lol. He pinned it in the net until I got there though that is a generous description :laugh:

Great bit of fun for ten minutes and really perked me up and the dog enjoyed it too :thumbs: The best thing is that cunning plan will work till the day I die as long as there is rabbits about

:thumbs: That's great sport stick a 10 or 15 yard net in your pocket and away to go. I really used to love doing that with the pointer, good part was he would go into the brambles for me.

TC

• Like 2

:thumbs: That's great sport stick a 10 or 15 yard net in your pocket and away to go. I really used to love doing that with the pointer, good part was he would go into the brambles for me.

TC

I remember you saying about his bald lugs looks like I will be the one with the bald lugs in this partnership :laugh: