• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could al ways paint it black

Just let vis do it Mac. Too much willy waving on this thread.   Chris

It's getting there, now get off the net and keep on rubbing it !

Posted Images

Looks good Mac.

If you do want to get it out of the stippling try Nitromors and rub it in with a toothbrush. Two or three applications with a rinse in between should lift it out with no damage.

Chris

Bump.......said that on page 2 lol.

Looks good Mac.

If you do want to get it out of the stippling try Nitromors and rub it in with a toothbrush. Two or three applications with a rinse in between should lift it out with no damage.

Chris

No mate, you said wire wool which will smooth off the checkering whereas a toothbrush won't.

Chris

Looks good Mac.

Chris

No mate, you said wire wool which will smooth off the checkering whereas a toothbrush won't.

Chris

only If you rub like sandpaper, hard wood is hard but if sanded will remove timber you just need to agitate the stripper and loosen the black stain and yes it is a delicate and a toothbrush will work. Once the surface of the stain is opened the next treatment will get to work but it could take ages but is well worth doing. I work with wood for a living and restoring old hardwood is very rewarding as it takes many years to grow in the first place. Walnut looks gorgeous when it's flat and fed with oil. I only have beach stocks which have to be dyed before its lacquered to get its dark colour but the walnut has that natural deep colour. You can get very fine wire wool as used in the French polishing world.

• Like 1

Looks good Mac.

Chris

Chris

only If you rub like sandpaper, hard wood is hard but if sanded will remove timber you just need to agitate the stripper and loosen the black stain and yes it is a delicate and a toothbrush will work. Once the surface of the stain is opened the next treatment will get to work but it could take ages but is well worth doing. I work with wood for a living and restoring old hardwood is very rewarding as it takes many years to grow in the first place. Walnut looks gorgeous when it's flat and fed with oil. I only have beach stocks which have to be dyed before its lacquered to get its dark colour but the walnut has that natural deep colour. You can get very fine wire wool as used in the French polishing world.
I don't see how you could agitate the depth of the checkering with any grade of wire wool without flattening the peaks of it. An old toothbrush is an easy way of getting to the depth without any abrasion to the peaks.

I work with wood for a living also although no longer in a hands on role.

Chris

Looks good Mac.

Chris

Chris

I don't see how you could agitate the depth of the checkering with any grade of wire wool without flattening the peaks of it. An old toothbrush is an easy way of getting to the depth without any abrasion to the peaks.

I work with wood for a living also although no longer in a hands on role.

Chris

wire wool and toothbrushes? how do you strip carvings?

if your wanting to get stippling or chequering back to the white forget the wire wool and the toothbrush apply nitromors yellow original(none of the green water based crap)a good dollopcover the area you want to strip,and then cover it/wrap cling film around it :yes: these strippers work by evaporation the cling film stops it evaporating and it continues to work deep,leave at least a couple of hours and the peel the cling film off and the polish will come off stuck to the cling film

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Right lads this will stop the argument

Vis just took the stippling off all together for me so no stippling what so ever left on her now just been on all day sanding her back down and a lot more sanding to do

will get some photos up soon atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: