Brian Brindred D V D A Review.

Tiercel

I watch the beginning of this DVD yesterday for the first time, the part about traditional netting. I must say I was pleasantly surprised some real good information on it for a first time netter. Obviously I did not agree with everything he done, but he would say the same about the way I net. He does state that you do find your own way that suits yourself, but to be honest if you followed his way to the letter you would catch rabbits no problem.

There were only two major problem I had with his way of setting the net first one was the hight of the net then the speed that he wanted the rabbits hitting the net. To my mind / way the net was set was just too high, by decreasing the hight of the net you increase the depth of the net. I have never been fan of rabbits hitting the net at speed for a couple of reasons. The perceived wisdom is to angle the pegs away from the oncoming rabbits, for the reason that the rabbit is standing on the net when it hits the wall of netting hanging down, there by enabling the net to catch in it's claws. This method can only work if the rabbits meet the net relatively slowly, for obvious reasons. Another factor is when a rabbit hits a net at speed it stretches the netting out to it's maximum depth, if it's head does not go though a mesh, there is only one option and that is the rabbit bounces off the net.

Any of you that have used long nets when ferreting will be familiar with a rabbit hitting the back of the net at speed, then starting to bounce and flip over the head line, sometimes they create a pocket over the head line for themselves, others they get away scot free. That could be the reason why he employs the upright setting of the net? For that very reason when using long nets for ferreting, I angle the pegs towards the oncoming rabbits I have found that it does cut down on the bounce overs somewhat.

All in all I would give that section of the DVD an 8 out of 10 well worth a watch. A down to earth practical no nonsense guide to traditional long netting.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 5

I had that DVD making and repairing nets and long netting or something gave somebody a loan of it and they kept it LOL anyway I think if you can learn one thing from watching a DVD or video there worth the cash ?

• Like 2

Have known Brian for quiet a while,He has stayed with me twice while holidaying in Australia.He introduced me to the quickset method also the dropnet & last time over helped me make up the lift system which I find very usefull in an area that has little cover, as you can lift from a long distance away . I also use his longnets that he brings over for me to try & have found them to be of good quality,

Kevi

• Like 1