Advice On Foot Injury (Pics)

Cut the nail off as close to the toe as you can. Keep dog out of mud etc for a couple of weeks. Let him lick it to keep it clean. Watch out for signs of infection: toe swelling. If this happens you'll need antibiotics, but I've never had this happen after taking the nail right off. It will probably grow back fine, but if it doesn't grow back then no problem either.

• Like 2

quote name="skycat" post="4022694" timestamp="1441267678"]

Cut the nail off as close to the toe as you can. Keep dog out of mud etc for a couple of weeks. Let him lick it to keep it clean. Watch out for signs of infection: toe swelling. If this happens you'll need antibiotics, but I've never had this happen after taking the nail right off. It will probably grow back fine, but if it doesn't grow back then no problem either.

What would you use to cut it skycat? I have antibiotics just in case he had anything like this happen.

So if I cut it off won't it bleed a lot? Will dog nail clippers do it?

Think he will lose the nail looking at it

yeh he will, my dog did the same, was out for about a month, the vet pob take the nail right off , and it will be bloody saw for the dog, just like it would be for you if you had your nail off. you got give them plenty of rest with it, because if you push it the dog will favour in the injured toe when running, and not run proper with (even gait) and put his other foot under more strain , plenty of rest once the nails off :yes:

• Like 1

No worries bird. He will be rested till I know he is good to go. I noticed last night, well the early hours when he done it, his foot and surrounding areas was hot. I got some 500mg Amoxicillin here. You reckon I should just start the course as a precaution anyway?

No worries bird. He will be rested till I know he is good to go. I noticed last night, well the early hours when he done it, his foot and surrounding areas was hot. I got some 500mg Amoxicillin here. You reckon I should just start the course as a precaution anyway?

]

What would you use to cut it skycat? I have antibiotics just in case he had anything like this happen.

I use dog claw clippers, and yes it may bleed a lot, but not always if the blood vessels have already been damaged when the claw twisted. Heat and inflammation set in to protect the joint. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is infected. Antibiotics should only be used if it is definitely infected. The trick is knowing when there is infection and when it is just localised inflammation: if in doubt go to the vet.

]

I use dog claw clippers, and yes it may bleed a lot, but not always if the blood vessels have already been damaged when the claw twisted. Heat and inflammation set in to protect the joint. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is infected. Antibiotics should only be used if it is definitely infected. The trick is knowing when there is infection and when it is just localised inflammation: if in doubt go to the vet.

Got to phone vet back in the norning at 8.30 am for an appointment which is a bit of a joke.

I had him home within 35 mins of injury. The toe stopped bleeding after I cleaned with salt water.

He is not just hot around the injury, he is hot all over skycat.

Vet has said to just make sure to keep it clean till tomorow.

Not sure if the vessel is damaged but at a guess I think it may be.

]

Got to phone vet back in the norning at 8.30 am for an appointment which is a bit of a joke.

I had him home within 35 mins of injury. The toe stopped bleeding after I cleaned with salt water.

Wouldn't the vet prescribe antibiotics if they where to take the nail off anyway?

]

there is a bone in the nail I'd be wary about cutting it back to the pad get infection in the bone it's not going to be nice...??

[quote name="maxhardcore" Muzzel him and cut the nail right back as Skycat said

It takes all the pressure off

Don't pussy foot tip tapping about

Be brave on swift precise cut with k9 nail clippers

If you got some give the dog loxicom or metacalm and 7 days of Antibiotics just to air on the safe side of infection .

Thanks max I am game enough to do it myself but what crackers says below puts me off with there being bone there or will the bone be missed if I was to just cut it at the very top of the nail. I often read your posts and I am aware of your knowlege regarding dogs as skycat. So your reply is much appreciated. I would like to take the pressure off asap but cannot get an appointment till tomorow. I don't want to make it worse instead of better. Can I buy Loxicom or Metacalm over the counter ?

Edited by flipbull