The Future Of Working Lurchers.

Working lurcher Organisation - Countryside Alliance.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. With the recent rumbles regarding a amendment. Do lurcher men want & club that is willing to promote legitimate lurcher work , communicate their concerns at a higher level and a platform to share knowledge,experience & field trials etc.

• Yes - I think thats something we are missing.
    • I am not sure but, If i seen some action, id like to participate.
    • I am not interested.
  2. 2. Would You Join the CA "If " lurcher work was seen to be a concern of theirs?

• I already am a member.
    • Id join "IF" they were seen to be working, to protect & promote legitimate lurcher work.
    • I am not interested .
    • No . Id not even give them Ten pence.

hell of a lot to consider, and in a lot of ways Im tempted to say nothing as Im sure are a lot of people, and just continue to do what i do regardless of what happens regarding bans, repeals etc. On the other hand if there was a national working lurcher club that offered a voice of its members and insurance cover etc, then yes i would join. I might not be convinced its going to make a difference but I would rather have that glimmer of hope and support something i firmly believe (freedom to work my dogs) than role over and do absolutely nothing.

There's a good few thousand people on this site with a similar mindset, we want to hunt legally, it would be a shame in ten years time when we have an anti for a prime minister that's coming down on everything because the antis pay more to think that collectively..we could have done something

• Like 1

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be a long term campaign, tough and certainly not for the weak hearted or those who cannot commit to and stick to the proposals as regards time and enthusiasm. Every body ,who is involved in

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or unders

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..   Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.   I've touched upon the subject with some like

Posted Images

I have SACS membership mainly for the insurance cover . but far from providing a service i find they just dont respond to queries when aaked of them especially regarding working dogs and the programme of SACS for supporting England Wales and N/ireland regarding the repeal of the Hunting with dogs Act.if these other associations are of the same ilk as Sacs then we need a working dog association for providing us support with insurance and legal cover on a UK wide basis I am certain even the Eire lads would support it also.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 2

Just to note, while i am at work doing nowt :whistling: i googled hunting with dogs, one of the first things that pops up and a quote from the bottom of the article, they (the Anti's) are clearly well ahead of us in this game to stop hunting with dogs, the CA by the way didn't even make the first page on a search over the last week in the UK.

http://www.houndsoff.co.uk/archives/katie-angus-friends-make-history-at-the-148th-bucks-county-show/

"A committee of volunteers will be formed & across every region we will be targeting as many county shows as we have the resources to cover to ensure they follow in the footsteps of Bucks County Show in accepting a Pro Ban presence at next years shows. Thank you all so much for all the messages of support, for signing & sharing the petition & for helping me make this happen! This is just the beginning…..❤️ x"

Edited by MickyB
  • Like 1

Imo lurcher work will go back to its original form more and more as time goes on. By original form I mean, poaching.

Lurchers came about as a means to feed a mans family, and as times become harder for working people around the country I can see things going almost full circle.

People who work dogs for a hobby will become less and less as and the people for who lurchers and working dogs are a way of life will carry on, passing down their knowledge and skills to those they trust.

for some their dogs are literally their life and nothing will ever change that. There will always be these people and they will carry on no matter what. But imo there are tough times ahead.

That's just my opinion and wether or not that's a good or bad thing, only time will tell.

100% bang on, :thumbs: with the ban now it only making a lot harder to run the dog legal , as before a farmer might have let you go on his ground to control rabbits, but being honest I found most didn't really want on there in the 1st place with a lurcher, they rather have stuff shot :yes: . so your right lurcher activity is finished unless the law changed, at that's not going to happen in my life time, or my 28 year old son time . :yes:

Lurcher clubs have been coming and going for a long time and there biggest downfall is MONEY they organise a fund raiser be that a show, film night or feildsport related raffle all goes well and the money rolls in, it gets counted and all the members have different ideas of how they would like the money used to their benefit. So the first stumbling block to address is what any money is to be used for i.e. a charity gets good publicity and raises the publics awarenes of the fund raisers or donated to the CA fighting fund to fight for us.

As a club membership of the CA is reduced providing there is a certain number of members.

Where previous posters claim that the amendment/repeal will only benefit the mounted packs :hmm:my partner(member on here) and I judged lurchers at Belvoir post ban and placed the kennel mans bullx which was a mighty stamp of a dog,the hunt tolerated him having a lurcher and so did the estate the kennels are on, I was present at every NCC coursing meeting from the M62 north including Scotland (7 clubs) as slip steward many landowners had lurchers about the place and the greyhound kennels had also,JH was CA rep and he had a lurcher, Garry Kelly RIP had a rough haired blue lurcher that travelled with him to meetings, many racing stables had their lurchers and their own coursing stakes

The CA not interested in coursing? well they had a syndicate that had coursing greyhounds in training with top kennels

So my point is not everyone is against lurchers far from it

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 5

I would be happy to help any of the "old farts" :laugh: who know what their doing in any way i can, it would be a learning experience in itself. To show lurcher & terrier work in a true light, the lads that live for the work and not just the thrill of a kill, IMO it is a must we that we dont hide anymore and stand up and shout with good publicity not arrogance, the CA and others will only listen if we have a voice, if that's a club so be it, maybe someone with some clout can email Tim Bonner and ask exactly why Lurchers &Terriers are being cast out from their campaigns? You can say what you want but its clear the CA is focused on mounted hunting to fox rather than hunting with dogs in general.

I've been on this site a good few years and theirs clearly some of the older chaps with the experience and the care for the future of this way of life to help with a push for a voice before its too late.

Maybe the CA focuses the mag and suchlike on the people who are in the CA. It's hardly going to fill the mag and website with lurchers when there are practically no lurcher owners in it.....

Get 500 lurcher owners to join up and i can guarantee there'd be more pics and articles for them.

There's many thousands of lurcher owners out there.....but I bet you'd never even manage to recruit 100...no 50 even.....too many want a free ride....

We will go round in circles until it's too late.....sadly. :cray:

The sad thing is Darcy, we dont have to go round in circles, I would of thought with your reputation and following you would be more positive towards creating a voice for lurcher work, but it seems you stick up for the CA every time someone says anything slightly negative about them.

I've got the of dogs and deer book, good read and quite inspirational. But when it comes to publicly speaking about true lurcher work you seem to shy away by saying the CA is the only way forward and we are all doomed, I dont think it is I dont see them on our side. Its the working dogmen & woman that will make a change for us not the CA unless they decide that hunting with dogs means just that and not mounted packs pursuing fox.

Ok Buddy. Firstly, you are quite wrong about what you say. I have been instrumental in starting a national lurcherwork body. :thumbs: But I was only one of several individuals that was in talks to try and iron out the guidelines. After months of debating everyone lost interest at the fine-tuning stage. I was the one who was pushing for this to be completed, as was witnessed by everyone else in the discussion. So, I have tried. So please don't say I shy away from things. :thumbs:

However, my opinion is still that the CA is the best way forward. That's why I stick up for them. There's a hell of a lot of things that go on in the background that no one hears of, they are on our side.

But good luck to anyone else who wishes to venture into such a project.... :victory:

• Like 1

I would be happy to help any of the "old farts" :laugh: who know what their doing in any way i can, it would be a learning experience in itself. To show lurcher & terrier work in a true light, the lads that live for the work and not just the thrill of a kill, IMO it is a must we that we dont hide anymore and stand up and shout with good publicity not arrogance, the CA and others will only listen if we have a voice, if that's a club so be it, maybe someone with some clout can email Tim Bonner and ask exactly why Lurchers &Terriers are being cast out from their campaigns? You can say what you want but its clear the CA is focused on mounted hunting to fox rather than hunting with dogs in general.

I've been on this site a good few years and theirs clearly some of the older chaps with the experience and the care for the future of this way of life to help with a push for a voice before its too late.

Maybe the CA focuses the mag and suchlike on the people who are in the CA. It's hardly going to fill the mag and website with lurchers when there are practically no lurcher owners in it.....

Get 500 lurcher owners to join up and i can guarantee there'd be more pics and articles for them.

There's many thousands of lurcher owners out there.....but I bet you'd never even manage to recruit 100...no 50 even.....too many want a free ride....

The sad thing is Darcy, we dont have to go round in circles, I would of thought with your reputation and following you would be more positive towards creating a voice for lurcher work, but it seems you stick up for the CA every time someone says anything slightly negative about them.

I've got the of dogs and deer book, good read and quite inspirational. But when it comes to publicly speaking about true lurcher work you seem to shy away by saying the CA is the only way forward and we are all doomed, I dont think it is I dont see them on our side. Its the working dogmen & woman that will make a change for us not the CA unless they decide that hunting with dogs means just that and not mounted packs pursuing fox.

Ok Buddy. Firstly, you are quite wrong about what you say. I have been instrumental in starting a national lurcherwork body. :thumbs: But I was only one of several individuals that was in talks to try and iron out the guidelines. After months of debating everyone lost interest at the fine-tuning stage. I was the one who was pushing for this to be completed, as was witnessed by everyone else in the discussion. So, I have tried. So please don't say I shy away from things. :thumbs:

However, my opinion is still that the CA is the best way forward. That's why I stick up for them. There's a hell of a lot of things that go on in the background that no one hears of, they are on our side.

But good luck to anyone else who wishes to venture into such a project.... :victory:

Thats fair enough, and if you've tried you've tried, but you cant expect people to go running to the CA because they are the only organization, from my point of view, the CA campaign for mounted hunts only, myself and a lot of others dont know what is going on behind the scenes (this has spurred these topics) so maybe you can enlighten us on what the CA are doing for lurcher work behind the scenes, because it is this very quiet on their front at the minute. Give me a reason and i'll join today mate.

• Like 2

maybe they just need to do more to publicy support us then. if they did and folk believed they would they would get much more support and membership. i've just been on their website and there's nothing there that suggests they are interested. A little recognition would go a long way.

• Like 2

J how far did you get with these talks??

Who were the drivers and how viable were the purposed ideas??

Why was it such a clandestine approach? ?

Surely a lurcher club would look for market research from potential members.

To me the huntinglife life is a captive market for any proposed club..

J if you were so keen don't become deflated as Churchill said " Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".

• Like 2

I cant speak about other working dog lads but most of the coursing and running lads have moved on to the other sites. and onto f/b, some lads were a liability but plenty of good lads dont come on here now or pay only the odd visit. thats another reason to have an association site to gain as wide participation as possible and the link could be put up on other sites that would permit it.

• Like 3

I would also like You to expand JD, ( if You dont mind ) i fear if some fell by the way side then, their heart was in it,

Passion drives people, to keep going. if a hurdle comes You find away round, rather then refuse.

It heartens me to know You have tried, tis by far better to try and fail then never try at all.

I have tackled the CA and yes i am a member @ the CLA game fair, as to why THIS year no Lurchers were represented, sadly Bonner was AWL... no matter, its the Midland soon ( he wont escape me this time ) :thumbs:

We had/have a club with a foot in the parlimentary door, with meetings regarding hunting held regularly and a chairman, who could attend as he is on the said the said commitee...... (((( he has no member left in this club!!!! )))

The same man who has stood with the CA year after year, till this year.....

A club that has required members to join the CA has to be a step forward :victory: .

This sitting on the "I cannot be bothered" fence or it doesn't affect me, serves no purpose to the good of the working lurcher, if we are to have our voices heard we near to raise our heads above the parapet and show those who dont care that there are so many more of us who do, passion drives... others issues can always be resolved.

Do we have a leader that those of us with passion, will follow? !!!

The times for circling has to end a way forward has to begin :thumbs:

• Like 6

I have SACS membership mainly for the insurance cover . but far from providing a service i find they just dont respond to queries when aaked of them especially regarding working dogs and the programme of SACS for supporting England Wales and N/ireland regarding the repeal of the Hunting with dogs Act.if these other associations are of the same ilk as Sacs then we need a working dog association for providing us support with insurance and legal cover on a UK wide basis I am certain even the Eire lads would support it aI also

I have also been a SACS member for a few years, and TBH, other than one conversation with Tam at Lowther one year, I havnt had so much as a newsletter from them or a renewal notice for my membership which Im pretty sure has just expired.