The Future Of Working Lurchers.

Working lurcher Organisation - Countryside Alliance.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. With the recent rumbles regarding a amendment. Do lurcher men want & club that is willing to promote legitimate lurcher work , communicate their concerns at a higher level and a platform to share knowledge,experience & field trials etc.

• Yes - I think thats something we are missing.
    • I am not sure but, If i seen some action, id like to participate.
    • I am not interested.
  2. 2. Would You Join the CA "If " lurcher work was seen to be a concern of theirs?

• I already am a member.
    • Id join "IF" they were seen to be working, to protect & promote legitimate lurcher work.
    • I am not interested .
    • No . Id not even give them Ten pence.

I would be happy to help any of the "old farts" :laugh: who know what their doing in any way i can, it would be a learning experience in itself. To show lurcher & terrier work in a true light, the lads that live for the work and not just the thrill of a kill, IMO it is a must we that we dont hide anymore and stand up and shout with good publicity not arrogance, the CA and others will only listen if we have a voice, if that's a club so be it, maybe someone with some clout can email Tim Bonner and ask exactly why Lurchers &Terriers are being cast out from their campaigns? You can say what you want but its clear the CA is focused on mounted hunting to fox rather than hunting with dogs in general.

Moon

I've been on this site a good few years and theirs clearly some of the older chaps with the experience and the care for the future of this way of life to help with a push for a voice before its too late.

Is it too late to try this again ?

Maybe the CA focuses the mag and suchlike on the people who are in the CA. It's hardly going to fill the mag and website with lurchers when there are practically no lurcher owners in it.....

Get 500 lurcher owners to join up and i can guarantee there'd be more pics and articles for them.

There's many thousands of lurcher owners out there.....but I bet you'd never even manage to recruit 100...no 50 even.....too many want a free ride....

We will go round in circles until it's too late.....sadly. :cray:

The sad thing is Darcy, we dont have to go round in circles, I would of thought with your reputation and following you would be more positive towards creating a voice for lurcher work, but it seems you stick up for the CA every time someone says anything slightly negative about them.

I've got the of dogs and deer book, good read and quite inspirational. But when it comes to publicly speaking about true lurcher work you seem to shy away by saying the CA is the only way forward and we are all doomed, I dont think it is I dont see them on our side. Its the working dogmen & woman that will make a change for us not the CA unless they decide that hunting with dogs means just that and not mounted packs pursuing fox.

Ok Buddy. Firstly, you are quite wrong about what you say. I have been instrumental in starting a national lurcherwork body. :thumbs: But I was only one of several individuals that was in talks to try and iron out the guidelines. After months of debating everyone lost interest at the fine-tuning stage. I was the one who was pushing for this to be completed, as was witnessed by everyone else in the discussion. So, I have tried. So please don't say I shy away from things. :thumbs:

However, my opinion is still that the CA is the best way forward. That's why I stick up for them. There's a hell of a lot of things that go on in the background that no one hears of, they are on our side.

But good luck to anyone else who wishes to venture into such a project.... :victory:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be a long term campaign, tough and certainly not for the weak hearted or those who cannot commit to and stick to the proposals as regards time and enthusiasm. Every body ,who is involved in

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or unders

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..   Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.   I've touched upon the subject with some like

Posted Images

I would be happy to help any of the "old farts" :laugh: who know what their doing in any way i can, it would be a learning experience in itself. To show lurcher & terrier work in a true light, the lads that live for the work and not just the thrill of a kill, IMO it is a must we that we dont hide anymore and stand up and shout with good publicity not arrogance, the CA and others will only listen if we have a voice, if that's a club so be it, maybe someone with some clout can email Tim Bonner and ask exactly why Lurchers &Terriers are being cast out from their campaigns? You can say what you want but its clear the CA is focused on mounted hunting to fox rather than hunting with dogs in general.

I've been on this site a good few years and theirs clearly some of the older chaps with the experience and the care for the future of this way of life to help with a push for a voice before its too late.

Maybe the CA focuses the mag and suchlike on the people who are in the CA. It's hardly going to fill the mag and website with lurchers when there are practically no lurcher owners in it.....

Get 500 lurcher owners to join up and i can guarantee there'd be more pics and articles for them.

There's many thousands of lurcher owners out there.....but I bet you'd never even manage to recruit 100...no 50 even.....too many want a free ride....

We will go round in circles until it's too late.....sadly. :cray:

The sad thing is Darcy, we dont have to go round in circles, I would of thought with your reputation and following you would be more positive towards creating a voice for lurcher work, but it seems you stick up for the CA every time someone says anything slightly negative about them.

I've got the of dogs and deer book, good read and quite inspirational. But when it comes to publicly speaking about true lurcher work you seem to shy away by saying the CA is the only way forward and we are all doomed, I dont think it is I dont see them on our side. Its the working dogmen & woman that will make a change for us not the CA unless they decide that hunting with dogs means just that and not mounted packs pursuing fox.

Ok Buddy. Firstly, you are quite wrong about what you say. I have been instrumental in starting a national lurcherwork body. :thumbs: But I was only one of several individuals that was in talks to try and iron out the guidelines. After months of debating everyone lost interest at the fine-tuning stage. I was the one who was pushing for this to be completed, as was witnessed by everyone else in the discussion. So, I have tried. So please don't say I shy away from things. :thumbs:

However, my opinion is still that the CA is the best way forward. That's why I stick up for them. There's a hell of a lot of things that go on in the background that no one hears of, they are on our side.

But good luck to anyone else who wishes to venture into such a project.... :victory:

JD is there any way you could get a representative of the CA to come on hear and discuss peoples thoughts and views on the subject of lurcherwork and its affiliation to the CA,just a thought :thumbs:

I'm a member of the C.A. simply because I feel that any step in the right direction is...well...a step in the right direction.

I've not owned a lurcher for ten years (since I moved to the dark side of using only base blood) but I'll always be extremely pro-lurcher work partly I suppose because I sometimes forget mine aren't lurchers and I tend to work them as though they're first cross kelpie x kelpies!

When I started out with lurchers, about twenty four years ago, I was always secretive about what I did; assuming people were naturally anti but have found over the intervening years that the more open I am, the more positive responses I get. I think lurcherwork can sometimes be its own worst enemy not because of what it does and what it stands for but because it almost expects to be regarded as the black sheep of the family.

Be proud!

• Like 4

Some fantastic posts on here folks and it's great to see some positivity.

I do think some sort of pro-lurcher work club would be a great idea and can only help us going forward.

If we could get lurcher-work advertised in a positive light to the public then it can only be a good thing. So many members of the public just think we are all bad guys, and that's only down to the antis having a bigger voice than us. We've never done anything to promote lurcher-work or show it in a positive light. Or if we have it hasn't been enough.

I also think it would help if we could get someone like the CA on board like a few have already said. And let's face it, enough money can make anything happen ?

its 9-30PM I have just viewed the site statistics of activity in the last 30 minutes it roughly collates as follows 245 members 2200 guests this poll has generated approx 64 responses dont know about apathy , personally I would suggest it is pathetic, more lads involved with dogs ferrets birds need to come to the table and support the country activities or we will be consigned to the pages of history in the next few years, no doubt some will continue no matter what legislation is imposed but is that really acceptable or even wanted we are betraying generations of hunting history remember some of your ancestors may have been transported to Australia for poaching a deer or even a rabbit is it going to go down a similar route now where you will be banned from owning running dogs or terriers of a working type. time to wake up boys.

my post shows 8-45 pm my computer shows 9-30pm so dont think I am senile just yet but who knows :icon_eek:

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 4

Definitely some positive and great posts..

Be good if lads can vote & if there's anything I've missed or you feel it needs said don't hold back..

Maybe folk will feel more passionate and vocal,if there was something in their sights.

Some of the members and guests won't read a running dog section.

It's only been live slightly less than 24 hours.

Thanks for the input and responses so far..

These lacs and antis are not confining their vicious activities to just terriers and running dogs, they will eventually target every country activity in fact every outdoor sporting activity that includes any animals. That is another imperative that makes a working dog site and associated links to other like minded groups the need of the hour so we get our version of our activities across to as wide a group of people as possible from every walk of life and age group.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

True mate..

They will be aftertrapping,shooting,fishing.

They might not stop until we are all vegans..

I don't mind if people don't agree with hunting and they don't want to do it..

They should in return respect my right to hunt and exercise my dogs.Doing what come instinctively to them.

• Like 2

just read the "suffolk police hare coursing" post. though it may be crap it sticks. the antis do get plenty of publicity whether what they're spouting is true or not. thats where we fall down as a community. we sit back , say feck all and let it happen to us. its like not being arsed to vote and then complaining about the government. do feck all and all we deserve is what ever someone decides to do to us.

:tongue2:

your using a steel knife and fork what about your carbon footprint to produce them should be hand made wooden cutlery and no chain saw to cut the trees down enjoy your meal :thumbs:

you used electricity from fossil fuels to enable you to type that :laugh:

following giro's post on the future of working lurchers my blood was up yesterday and i emailed the CA.

Tim Bonner actually replied. Below is the email i sent and his reply.

Surely there's an opening here ????????????? anyone wanting to be copied in on this or taking up the mantle, message me your email address.

from me to them

"Hi.

I am part of a thousands strong community that work lurchers legally in the UK. It is generally felt within our community that the CA do not represent the working lurcher fraternity and have more pressing public issues that are demanding their attention. Hence many thousands of pounds in funds are missed.

Would the CA be prepared to open a sub section to working lurcher owners or a UK working lurcher club via affiliation ?

Surely all country sports are important to the CA. and working lurcher owners need to feel they are represented too. Unity is surely the way forward.

I will be interested in your thoughts on this matter.

Regards Rob "

Tim Bonner's reply

"Rob,

We absolutely represent working lurcher owners but, like some other forms of hunting, we probably don’t communicate as well as we could with lurcher owners. There is an Association of Lurcher Clubs which is represented on the Council of Hunting Associations but again I am not sure how widely it communicates. I always try to raise matters of interest in Countryman’s Weekly which is well read by lurchermen.

We obviously campaign for the repeal of the Hunting Act which would extend the quarry species available to those working lurchers. We also liaise regularly with police forces across the country and brief officers on all forms of legal hunting.

Lurcher clubs can become affiliate members of the Alliance and I, or colleagues, are always happy to talk to clubs and other groups.

I would be very interested in having a chat about how to improve our communication with lurcher owners. Are you ever in London? Or could we meet elsewhere?

Tim

Tim Bonner

Director of Campaigns

Countryside Alliance

Mob. 07977 460811

DD. 020 7840 9221

Follow me @CA_TimB

• Like 9

I bet you had two helpings of that for breaky Paulus :laugh:

Ive started to do a bit of looking into this issue and like said above we seem to sit back and let it happen, there is no positive light for lurcher work at the minute we need to change it

stuff like the below doesnt help either