The Future Of Working Lurchers.

Working lurcher Organisation - Countryside Alliance.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. With the recent rumbles regarding a amendment. Do lurcher men want & club that is willing to promote legitimate lurcher work , communicate their concerns at a higher level and a platform to share knowledge,experience & field trials etc.

• Yes - I think thats something we are missing.
    • I am not sure but, If i seen some action, id like to participate.
    • I am not interested.
  2. 2. Would You Join the CA "If " lurcher work was seen to be a concern of theirs?

• I already am a member.
    • Id join "IF" they were seen to be working, to protect & promote legitimate lurcher work.
    • I am not interested .
    • No . Id not even give them Ten pence.

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..

Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.

I've touched upon the subject with some like minded friends, however I am unsure how it can and will all pan out..

I'd personally feel disappointed if, there was missed opportunities.

I might not of captured the poll quite right ..

If not, just share your views on the thread..

I've contacted The CA before and to be fair, I never received the response I wanted...

Id have another crack and Id like to know how others feel about it..

Surely the CA or even fieldsports magazines - papers, have a bit of financial clout and are connected to these people, that have some say on how hunting is represented in the political scene .

Its easy to crack on with the season but think about the future of our sport..

I think a change in our situation is, within in our grasp.

It's just how could we, as a collective group make a difference ??

I dont know the answer and am keen to hear what lads n lasses think on the matter.

The Hunting life members have achieved some great feats and raised some amounts of money to help others..

I Hope we can pull together help ourselves and get some ideas..

Edited by Giro
  • Like 9

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be a long term campaign, tough and certainly not for the weak hearted or those who cannot commit to and stick to the proposals as regards time and enthusiasm. Every body ,who is involved in

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or unders

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..   Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.   I've touched upon the subject with some like

Posted Images

Think you just answered your own question Giro,you made contact and never got the response you wanted.....what did you ask of them and what was their response :hmm: I know I will be shot down for it (I don't even own a runner at the minute,) but to be honest,from what Ive seen they want as little as possible to do with running dogs ,IMO coursing will never be legalised again,they know that,and for this reason ,again JMHO,they want to distance themselves from what is a political "hot potato".Too many images /media footage of the Waterloo Cup etc every year it was on ,creating outrage/disgust from not only the antis but fence sitters who were fed one sided,biased nonsense whilst eating their evening meal, about the nasty savage dogs and the Neanderthals with limited mental capacity who owned them etc etc.Im sure there will be some "get the big picture " posts on this topic shortly,and as I have said previously this for me looks like if we amend enough of the hunting act somewhere along the line lurcherwork will slip below the radar and possibly some of it will be "technically" legalised that currently is not.For me it seems the only people to directly benefit from amendments are the mounted packs,if anyone else gets thrown a bone it will be a bonus :yes: ATB Dave :thumbs:

• Like 1

Imo lurcher work will go back to its original form more and more as time goes on. By original form I mean, poaching.

Lurchers came about as a means to feed a mans family, and as times become harder for working people around the country I can see things going almost full circle.

People who work dogs for a hobby will become less and less as and the people for who lurchers and working dogs are a way of life will carry on, passing down their knowledge and skills to those they trust.

for some their dogs are literally their life and nothing will ever change that. There will always be these people and they will carry on no matter what. But imo there are tough times ahead.

That's just my opinion and wether or not that's a good or bad thing, only time will tell.

• Like 8

Think you just answered your own question Giro,you made contact and never got the response you wanted.....what did you ask of them and what was their response :hmm:

I contacted them regarding their membership and the insurance cover.

I was quite matter of fact about exempt hunting and potential grey areas..

They did not respond -

I contacted the area rep regarding asking their advice or their interpretation of hunting hares with nets and dogs.

I asked them where I stood flushing to a net.. They never responded.

I contacted them via social media when it was the tenth anniversary of the last Waterloo cup and submitted photos of a trip to clonmel along with running dog photos. These never where given any air time but they are happy to put any amount of spaniel or hound photos on twitter or Facebook.

I don't want to give the CA a bashing..

However if the cap fits..

It may well be the the hot potatoe they don't want to be seen holding.

I'd like to have some assurance I'd be covered,when conducting myself within the law by their insurance.

I'd like to think they woukd support all feild sports & see that they are equally represented.

I think your right to some degree Gareth for some the hunting act had no impact on what they done and they have continued business assusal.

• Like 1

There was a similar thread a while ago,I happened to mention that Id just read the latest issue of the CA magazine and there wasn't a mention of lurchers at all,the word terrier was mentioned in one advert.....some on here replied with "You should send articles in to them ,to print" Well....you've just answered that question :yes: You asked them perfectly straight forward questions and were completely ignored :censored: Its got to be said,I would definetly be concerned on relying on their support if things go tits up in the field whilst out with a lurcher,it very much sounds like they would be of little or no use,maybe someone on here has used them in such situation and can enlighten us....Personally I just couldn't give my money to an organisation who really would rather I didn't exist....As I stated previously ,its all about getting the mounted packs back in business (I don't have a problem with these by the way,the Cheshire Hunt comes through some of my permission,nice people always say hello and ask how its going) I don't think they are remotely interested in what lurcher folks are upto,(As long as its not on there land :laugh: )Ignoring the tenth anniversary of the last Waterloo Cup.....that in itself speaks volumes :no: Stop paying you subscription Im sure they will contact you soon enough,just remember not to ask any awkward questions :laugh::thumbs:

the CA will represent in the most effective and cost efficient manner. I dont think that will include the lurcher fraternity. whatever happens in terms of amendments to legistlation its not gonna stop folk working their lurchers ( and it never has ) but it would be nice to think we were a little more looked after. i've had running dogs for almost 40 years now and i cant remember a day apart from when i was a kid ( and didnt notice or care) that walking round with lurchers didnt provoke some kind of funny look or comment.

i have some real good friends in the local hunt but there's still folk in hunt circles that think lurcher lads are scruffy feckers covered in tattoos. and they're right, I am.

Dont think anything will change for us working dogs but at least lurchers are more common now they're fashionable as pets but i think thats the best we're ever gonna get.

16 years ago i moved with my family and dogs to an area of the country i could go about my sport unhindered. never looked back

• Like 1

Giro, I think you're wasting your time buddy.

The CA are our only chance. That's a fact. A lurcher club within the CA and affiliated to the CA is the answer, but who would join? Who would donate? The fact is that we'd much rather call names than do anything positive. I'm sorry, but that seems to be true.

Would a couple of articles in the CA mag change anything? or photos? If it did I would get something put in there, but as most lurcherlads are not members what would be the point. We'd much rather sit on the sidelines and be negative, but let us remember that without the CA we probably wouldn't be able to work the lurchers today the way we can.

I wish anyone well who is starting a lurcher club up....

• Like 1

The CA are our only chance. That's a fact. A lurcher club within the CA and affiliated to the CA is the answer, but who would join? Who would donate? The fact is that we'd much rather call names than do anything positive. I'm sorry, but that seems to be true.

Would a couple of articles in the CA mag change anything? or photos? If it did I would get something put in there, but as most lurcherlads are not members what would be the point. We'd much rather sit on the sidelines and be negative, but let us remember that without the CA we probably wouldn't be able to work the lurchers today the way we can.

not sure that most of us are negative but not sure i'd like to be a formal member of a club either. i find it much easier going about my business quietly and not drawing too much attention. i would however donate to the ca if they were to start representing lurcher work. mounted packs and hunts are only going to get any discretion and recognition based upon tradition and the role they fulfil in the countryside. we're never going to be seen in the same light. the only light i'd rather be seen in is the very edge of the beam when out lamping.

• Like 1

My opinion is ,the CA is the way forward. Possibly a club, however I hAve no ambition to start said club.

To be honest I woukd not have a clue where to begin.

I am on my phone.

I can't get the statistics however, were the CA to appear empathetic and supportive of lurcher men & women.

If 50% of the hunting life joined and paid membership, that would be a significant sum of money and swell in their ranks.

JD your a man with a instant following and other high profile authors. Could you folks not use your profile within feild sports magazines to raise awareness and inject " these CA bashers" with a bit of hope and optimism ??

If lurcher lads want something. .

Its possibly lurcherlads as a collective group that need to start something.

The Hunting life it's self, have proven when a cause hits a chord, we can and help our own.

The huntinglife life as I know it, has changed and evolved with the hunting ban becoming more established.

No longer condoning poaching or other unlawful activities.Having the potential to become ambassadors in feild sport's, with things being done in the right way.

One thing I have noticed, that Sacs do mention lurcher work on their home page..

CA only mention fox control.

I will try and post a letter from my MP and again this only appears to be looking to increase the number of hounds in flushing. He even states this would be a comparmise instead of a repealing the full act.

• Like 1

I for one would join a lurcher club that was affiliated to the CA if the aim was to extend lurcher work to other species, promote the message of ethical, sustainable management of ground game etc and try to redress the balance in regards to some of the idiotic behaviour of some lurcher owners on Facebook etc with write ups of decent people doing a decent job.

• Like 8

I for one would join a lurcher club that was affiliated to the CA if the aim was to extend lurcher work to other species, promote the message of ethical, sustainable management of ground game etc and try to redress the balance in regards to some of the idiotic behaviour of some lurcher owners on Facebook etc with write ups of decent people doing a decent job.

we just found a chairman :)

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or understand what the majority of it entailed, rabbiting lamping field trials etc Where the problem lies again in my personal opinion is within the area of coursing particularly hare coursing, it is the predominant target of the anti cruelty lobby particularly the LACS and the RSPCA it began their campaign with all the negative publicity about the Wateloo leading to its banning, then clock forward and the Hunting with dogs Act legislation focused on fox hunting and coursing. The amount of money in the Huning fox packs allows them to campaign for a amendment to the Hunting Act , the Hill farmers and landowners either have involvement in this particular activity or gain financially from it just as the do from shooting associations etc. The running and hunting with lurchers and sighthounds has always been an activity for the individual or a few mates to get out for a few races,The organised events were pretty well a closed shop to the ordinary lad out for a bit of sport on a Saturday or Sunday. As a couser (EX) :angel: I think we have three hurdles in front of us, first the lack of unity and trust within our ranks this leads to apathy in galvanising any organised support to move us forward, Two the amount of adverse publicity that a lot of the day walkers and the bull x boys attract from not only the lacs and antis but also the general public, this I am sad to say is well deserved and is given wings by some of the antics and self publicity the boys on the likes of F/B like to display on public forums. We are labeled by the LACS , antis even the police as, thieves of red diesel, farm machinery ,vandals of fences standing crops, farm gates, beer swilling pot smoking gambling ner do wells who roam the country terrorising the farmers and gamekeepers day and night to ply our evil trade. No one ever shows the hard working ,lads the small business owners, the retired folk who are being criminalised for enjoying generations old country pastimes, they never show the kindness of many lads involved in raising money for national charities and small local charities and helping individuals that have fallen on hard times, the evidence is out there but never gets publicised Third the widening gap there appears to be between the older hands in the game and the younger lads trying to get into the activities, its a lack of respect from both side, The young one think they know better than the old farts and dont want to learn the right ways and the old lads who think the youngsters are all tracky bottom trainer wearing red bull drinking crack heads :laugh: (f**k me I sound like one of the old farts LOL) Some of the best hopes we have for our sports are some of the genuine young lads I have met in the last couple of years they live for the sport and deserve a future in it so with unity and hard work we could move mountains A new Lurcher /running group may or may not be the way forward but at least it needsto be discussed and considered before the final nails in the coffin of country life are driven home .

• Like 10