If You Could Go It Alone

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all. Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....b

I started up myself just over a year ago I passed my driving and my boss at the time was due me a few pounds and a window rounds 70 customers in a total mess we just went when we had a day of fencing

You and me both matey! I'm determined to invent something and become a millionaire..... only one problem...   One day, probably in my 80s, I'll figure out what I want to do with my life! LOL

Well at the moment I'm real busy with the fencing and I hope that continues. But I'm not wanting to be digging holes away into my 50s so I've a few ideas to make money a bit easier.

Because I have a bit of ground here I was thinking about breaking cars.......surely if you can buy a car for 200/300 quid and you strip it down and sell it as parts you have to make a bit.?

Another idea is shot blasting of some kind.....don't see much of that about these parts.

And my retirement plan is to turn my yard into nice stables.......money for nothing these horses. Maybe the fad of horses will have died down by then though.

Or I could just win the lottery......that would be just dandy and then I could piss about investing it in up and coming business's...

There used to be a guy through in Wishaw that did that Stevie, he started up with a couple of containers and a wee bit of someone else's yard. The last I heard he had a multi acre site and a massive house on a big bit of land he owned....cant remember his name, but he used to advertise in the wee ads in the back of the free car paper you used to get in the garage....worth a shot??

Definitely something I'm considering mate.....canny be hard and money too be made.

Just as the subjects about money and i hope i dont seem a nut case or immature. Every now n then i think about not just getting money. In love with the idea of actually changing the bloodlines social class. Most people are happy to work their whole life n have a big house (if lucky enough in this day and age). Never done my family tree really far back but noone could of ever done anything that has set the generations up. Look at the multi millionpound properties and stuff on rightmove and think how mad would it be if generations down dont even know what empty cupboards or being skint is. I suppose run the risk of em become snobs lol if it ever happened. Just like the romance of going down in the family history of being the one who really changed things n introduced em to a different world.

• Like 1

My mrs is a mobile hairdresser and has been for 20 years it's a cracking little business hardly any out lay no business premises or business tax etc she has around 200 clients on a monthly turn around its all cash obviously she declares everything ...it's all good! ..im a cabinet maker I wouldn't mind doing it for myself but the start up cost to do it properly puts me off I don't think I would get much change out of 150k then you got premises materials electric business taxes ect ect ...its easier to let someone else have the hassle I think.

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all.

Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....but once you have had it, then you have had it........now I am a big advocate of if you want something then have it, your a long time dead but never get to the point where you think these things matter.

You may be driving a Mercedes one day and a Morris minor the next......if either don't matter a f**k to you then your at the right place mentally imho

You see some people, they seem to have it all but lots of it is fur coat and no knickers and if they lost the lot they wouldn't know what to do because their life is built on shallow things........money is fairly easy in the scheme of things to get, your life, how you are, your relationships with people, with your kids, with your family no amount of money can buy or put right after the event........your kids won't give a toss about your Bentley they will care you didn't go and watch them loose 4-0 at football on a piss wet Sunday morning.

Some things are worth money and some things have "value".......they are not always the same things imho

I look at the likes of Duncan Bannatyne......the bloke has millions.......so a success yes?

Well he has 6 kids from 2 broken marriages......and I have to ask myself, I wonder if at the time his kids were thinking "oh well he has millions" or were they thinking "I wish my mum and dad would stay together and sit with us at tea time every night" ?

His single minded persuit of his business goals may well have cost him both marriages because he was too busy to make time to look after things at home?

Everyone's different, I'm not slagging the bloke, but that wouldn't be a bit of me I am afraid.

I think thats a lovely ideology but in reality how many extremely wealthy people do you see who have the cosy little wife,children and a dog thing going on as well.....not many.....by its very nature chasing after wealth requires a focus that will get in the way of most things.......some people see success as wealth some see success as family but they can both be lost just as easily as they are gained plenty of folk have kids too young and it doesnt work out or have broken marriages for any number of reasons as long as they look after their family financially i cant see any issue with the single minded pursuit of success in business.........there are plenty of different types of riches its just a case of striking a balance between all of them and its easier said than done in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just had a couple of lads down from sunderland doing a bit of work for me,one of them is a self-employed window-cleaner up there and earns £4 for a 3-bed semi whereas the bloke who does the local area down here charges £12 for the same sized dwelling,the lad from the north-east said his eyes are well and truly opened.

When I was still at school in the 80's was charging 3 quid for a 3 bed!

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all.

Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....but once you have had it, then you have had it........now I am a big advocate of if you want something then have it, your a long time dead but never get to the point where you think these things matter.

You may be driving a Mercedes one day and a Morris minor the next......if either don't matter a f**k to you then your at the right place mentally imho

You see some people, they seem to have it all but lots of it is fur coat and no knickers and if they lost the lot they wouldn't know what to do because their life is built on shallow things........money is fairly easy in the scheme of things to get, your life, how you are, your relationships with people, with your kids, with your family no amount of money can buy or put right after the event........your kids won't give a toss about your Bentley they will care you didn't go and watch them loose 4-0 at football on a piss wet Sunday morning.

Some things are worth money and some things have "value".......they are not always the same things imho

I look at the likes of Duncan Bannatyne......the bloke has millions.......so a success yes?

Well he has 6 kids from 2 broken marriages......and I have to ask myself, I wonder if at the time his kids were thinking "oh well he has millions" or were they thinking "I wish my mum and dad would stay together and sit with us at tea time every night" ?

His single minded persuit of his business goals may well have cost him both marriages because he was too busy to make time to look after things at home?

Everyone's different, I'm not slagging the bloke, but that wouldn't be a bit of me I am afraid.

I think thats a lovely ideology but in reality how many extremely wealthy people do you see who have the cosy little wife,children and a dog thing going on as well.....not many.....by its very nature chasing after wealth requires a focus that will get in the way of most things.......some people see success as wealth some see success as family but they can both be lost just as easily as they are gained plenty of folk have kids too young and it doesnt work out or have broken marriages for any number of reasons as long as they look after their family financially i cant see any issue with the single minded pursuit of success in business.........there are plenty of different types of riches its just a case of striking a balance between all of them and its easier said than done in my opinion.
gnash i know yous go back a long way a little bird told me the new ray winston tv programme starting tomorrow night is based on you summat about how people told you how family would turn out in later life do you wish you had done things different it's all easy with hind sight i suppose it will be a canny watch lol

Been thinking recently that I'd like to start my own business and work for myself so I've been trying to come up with business ideas with the idea of getting set up to start in 3 years or so but other than it being something outdoors I don't really know what I'd like to do.

So if you could start up a business what would you/did you do?

It'd have to pay the mortgage so full time man whore probably won't cut it!

GaZ

It has to be something your good at or can become very good at , reputation is everything when your small , it helps if your passionate and really want to do it, so think hard before you do , once you get a reputation and people like you , there's nothing better than folk talking about you, or seeing your work and wanting it , of course you can go down the route of, thank you very much see you later how's your father once the cash has cleared , but your allways looking for new work then , and that leads to uncertainty , dress profesional act profesional , look about first . Find out what's already happening , but if your more passionate than the bigger monkeys who have got to big then your service will be better ,

• Like 1

Well at the moment I'm real busy with the fencing and I hope that continues. But I'm not wanting to be digging holes away into my 50s so I've a few ideas to make money a bit easier.

Because I have a bit of ground here I was thinking about breaking cars.......surely if you can buy a car for 200/300 quid and you strip it down and sell it as parts you have to make a bit.?

Another idea is shot blasting of some kind.....don't see much of that about these parts.

And my retirement plan is to turn my yard into nice stables.......money for nothing these horses. Maybe the fad of horses will have died down by then though.

Or I could just win the lottery......that would be just dandy and then I could piss about investing it in up and coming business's...

There used to be a guy through in Wishaw that did that Stevie, he started up with a couple of containers and a wee bit of someone else's yard. The last I heard he had a multi acre site and a massive house on a big bit of land he owned....cant remember his name, but he used to advertise in the wee ads in the back of the free car paper you used to get in the garage....worth a shot??

Definitely something I'm considering mate.....canny be hard and money too be made.

Lab my pal has a big yard and a good business. its taken years to build it up to what it is. i have a pint with him every week and there's not a month goes by that the environmental agency isnt slapping a big bill for some made up nonsense. he is getting more and more pissed off with the way they are telling him to run his yard. if you dont pay up and comply they shut you down, stop you trading. the government is not wanting these type of yards anymore. they want you to take your cars to a state of the art facility that they can keep tabs on. the rule and regs will put you off if you looked into it believe me.

I agree with plenty of that mate, getting a balance can be almost impossible......I certainly wouldn't have the skill for it and that's why I will never have what I would think of as a "lot" of money..

An old boy, who I worked with as a kid and eventually bought out has what I would call proper money......he has worked like a dog all his life and is probably good for about 4 mil in readies not to mention property, boats blah blah.....he is a funny man, generous and mean all at the same time.

He give me my chance in life, alright I had to pay for it, but he learned me a lot.......on the flip side his wife told me that when their youngest was born and she went into labour he said "there's nothing I can do about, I have got deliveries to do.....here's £20 for a cab to the hospital" !!!

When I bought him out his phone just stopped ringing so he had to start working again in order to have any life at all because when he packed up, his family had all gone off and done their own thing.......I think that's a bit sad myself, but very much his own fault.

I guess I just never wanted the pound note enough to be that way.

I agree with plenty of that mate, getting a balance can be almost impossible......I certainly wouldn't have the skill for it and that's why I will never have what I would think of as a "lot" of money..

An old boy, who I worked with as a kid and eventually bought out has what I would call proper money......he has worked like a dog all his life and is probably good for about 4 mil in readies not to mention property, boats blah blah.....he is a funny man, generous and mean all at the same time.

He give me my chance in life, alright I had to pay for it, but he learned me a lot.......on the flip side his wife told me that when their youngest was born and she went into labour he said "there's nothing I can do about, I have got deliveries to do.....here's £20 for a cab to the hospital" !!!

When I bought him out his phone just stopped ringing so he had to start working again in order to have any life at all because when he packed up, his family had all gone off and done their own thing.......I think that's a bit sad myself, but very much his own fault.

I guess I just never wanted the pound note enough to be that way.

I know someone just like that. he bought me out 3 times just because he had to have the money I was making. He'd buy my business, I would work for him for a while as factory manager then I'd start back up. Once I was up and running he's buy me out again. I looked on it as a bonus. Now he's sold his business and retired he's got nothing, got the money but no family except a wife who likes money as much as him. He left his first wife when the daughters were born and didn't see or speak to them for years, got no family, no hobbies and no mates ............... poor sod.

Thing is can you ever switch off? How does someone just stop earning money? My mum answers it by saying take the time to enjoy life. How people can relate spending money to joy is weird to some degree. Gotta be a better feeling counting your money or seeing it increase rather than working out what youve actually spent. Also where does it end? Million pound houses are nice but the multi million are alot nicer lol. If you mamage to earn enough for a million pound house your ovbiously not too bad at earning a pound note so how and why would you stop?

hopefully i dont sound like a money obsessed tight sod cause im not. I just think too many people under play how important money is. People who dont chase money are money i find abit alien. With my age its like alot of people dont seem to think about the future enough or ever want to break the cycle of living in the same sort of means as their parents. Work crap paying jobs with no prospects but happy because it pays for a messy weekend. Maybe i just know alot of useless people though lol.

Gonna give that ray winston a watch though my dad mentioned that. I aint saying his a shit actor but seems abit of a danny dyer. Plays the same role every film lol.

I aint too bad i mean i love a pound note but i have things i enjoy that cost sod all. Getting out with the dogs for example and being in the middle of no where. Soppy b*****d i even love the fact the dog sleeps downstairs but seems to know when im pissed she can follow me up n jump on the end of the bed.

I understand the cemetery comment but in reply to that. If you dont have any money are you actually living? Constant stress and worrying about bills or looking at stuff you cant ever afford. Just getting by aint no life i would ever want to live seen it with my own mum and dad and it aint for me. My mum thinks im greedy but i hate that word as it implies im tight which im not. I dont have enough money to even be considered greedy in my books lol. Im just hungry and want something out of life, abit more than just getting by.

• Like 1