Dave Sleight Kelpie Lurcher

iv worked on farms with kelpies thay are so clever and hard workers so keen to please .I milk cows for a living so im looking for a dog to fill many roles . working cows plus ferreting ,lamping plus rats and mice in and around the yards most mornings at 4 getting the cows in there is pray to catch plus the cows to get in . so that's my reason for the kelpie lurcher . just lost my last bitch of 15 years bed x whip x collie . a very good dog and have been thinking of getting the same but I want to a kelpie I belive will just have the edge on other breeds . when I find one I will keep you all up to date thanks

I agree that they'd give you the versatility you're after. I have three pure kelpies (an ancient almost 16 year old dog, 8 year old bitch and 18 month old dog) and while I bought them for general mooching about, I've used them for ferreting, bushing etc on rat, rabbit, squirrel and pigeon. They're also very interested in flushing pheasant and pointing deer (for photographic purposes only of course) and the bitch has been known to work sheep; though only as a one off. The pup is a lot more interested in fox than the older two...I think the old boy in my avatar probably thought they were related and he's a lot bigger too: 22" and currently about 44 lbs as opposed to 19" and about 36 lbs. Edited to add: I mean the 18 month old is bigger; not the other way around.

Incidentally, I bought old Rusty after getting a kelpie/collie x greyhound from Dave Sleight's first litter of greyhound crosses and being so impressed by the difference in temperament compared to previous collie crosses. Having said that, Dave had said that the dam had a particularly good temperament too.

If you put a search in here there are several threads on kelpie crosses. Don't forget though that, like collies, not all kelpies are the same. My bitch is very "worky" whereas my males (related but from slightly different lines) are far more laid back.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

I don't think dave breeds them any more but pocherspocket as one off is old lines an he's a good dog been out with him on lamp he's as good as any other on lamp an very handy ferreting dog

cheers bud ☺ if you get chance stick that photo i sent of mac the other day up for him. My photo ap thing isnt working.
  • Like 1

not a dave sleight bred one but heres my dog hes a bull greyhound X kelpie whippet think not to sure on percentage but think the mother was 3/4 kelpie 1/4 whippet couldn't ask anymore of this dog hes a loyal as they come and trys his hardest one think tho is that he lacks a gear sometime

post-93580-0-45710400-1440460272_thumb.jpg

post-93580-0-85104900-1440460289_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

LurcherLad94; your dog really is a stunner. As for lacking a gear, just think how I feel...having said that, virtually all the rabbits they've caught have been because I'm able to work them in places where some other dogs either wouldn't be able to work or their owners choose not to work them and one of the reasons for this is, ironically, because they do lack that other gear. I think they've only ever caught one in the middle of a field...and that one had run under a cattle trough so can't really be classed as out in the open. :laugh:

Good luck with your search Nigel. :thumbs: If my pup was older I'd offer him at stud but he's not had a season yet so certainly not a proven worker...so far he's only caught one squirrel; well, caught it, dropped it, caught it dropped it, caught it, dropped it before it made it to an avenue of oaks. It was one of the rare occasions that I didn't have the catapult with me too. :censored: He had the same problem as Rusty: trying to retrieve it live. :angel:

• Like 1