Best Small 4X4S ?

I used to rate the Pinin - still do as a tool to get out of almost anywhere but I'll never forgive Mitsubishi UK about not undersealing them for the UK's salted roads - they rust like buggery. It failed the MOT this year with umpteen massive holes in difficult to weld places.

Their GDI engines also get bunged up with carbon and run lumpy - and noisy tappets are a known niggle too.

I replaced it with a Honda CR-V but wish I'd took a better look at the ground clearance rather than be more interested in checking it was factory undersealed and without a hint of rust at nearly 16 years old. lovely runner too. I've grown out of getting into dodgy places just for the hell of it now though. :laugh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vitara no questions

Pajero - four track - vitara.

vitara will piss all over an l200 or similar size

Posted Images

subaru forester. bulletproof engines and permanent 4wd with a high and low box. i've had 2 foresters and 2 jimnys. jimny ok for playing in the mud but the forester beats it hands down on all round useability and just as good off road

Bit low though, my mate (who has offroaded farther in reverse than I have done forwards) won't follow my Jimmy in quite a few spots we've been on the moor.

Cheers, D.

all depends what you do D. Followed many a fourtrak and defender in a forester albeit with decent a/t tyres not the sh*te they're specced with. they easily have the ground clearnce of a freelander. no drama and in comfort. the jimny is fragile. rotten boot floors, suspension like glass and when lifted the're poorly geared. to get a jimny anywhere near the spec of a landy you might as well buy a landy. good fun though

• 2 weeks later...

Suzuki grand vitara 2.5 v6 twin cam goes like shite of a shovel on road and with a a hi/lo 2wd/4wd box capable of most things off road 30 honest mpg I use mine as a everyday motor and never had a problem in the 3 years I've had it and if you do get a problem parts are cheep as chips IMG_20150919_171154_zpsw2wh00n6.jpg

• Like 1

just about to buy my 3rd subaru forester. As an all round vehicle i've never had anything better.

Glad you've wrote that I've just bought one and love it.

get a decent set of all terrains on it and it won't be getting stuck. hankook dynapro atm rf10 or maxxis 771 would be my choice. good on road and off and high mileage

I think there is a big hole in the market for an uncomplicated, easy to repair, reliable, small to medium 4wd.

Suzuki could do a bigger and updated Jimny, with a tried and test 1.6 petrol or 2 ltr diesel engine.

Soft top or with a ridged removable top. No carpet inside just vinyl for easy cleaning, like a van.

I am sure more knowledgable people on here could add a lot to my suggestions.

• Like 1

I think there is a big hole in the market for an uncomplicated, easy to repair, reliable, small to medium 4wd.

Suzuki could do a bigger and updated Jimny, with a tried and test 1.6 petrol or 2 ltr diesel engine.

Soft top or with a ridged removable top. No carpet inside just vinyl for easy cleaning, like a van.

I am sure more knowledgable people on here could add a lot to my suggestions.

i think you're bang on with that and with the demise of the defender the hole gets bigger.