11 replies to this topic

#1 fat man

fat man

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:06 am

Got a call from 1 of the lads in the gun club that a local farmer had seen a fox enter 1 of his sheds and would i come with a terrier to try get it.I knew the place well as we do earths and a shore in this area every year and know the farmer PJ very well.He had a plank up against the door to stop the fox from pushing it out.I opened up the door and had a look with the other chap ready with shotgun,no sign of the fox.The shed held about 50 small hay bales + a load of scaffold planks and steel +a load of old furniture all in a very untidy manner,lol.I stuck a coller on the dog and let him in,he straight of went in behind the bales and within seconds out comes the fox and my mate shot him,quickest fox ive had in many the year,farmer happy as he keeps a lot of chickens-ducks +there is a pheasant pen on the land.

• wipeout and Zilverhaze like this

#2 neil cooney

neil cooney

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:00 pm

I bet you were glad there was no digging involved Fat Man, as it's so hot and you hadn't the lads with you who usually do all the digging anyways, LOL.

What terrier was it ?

• wipeout and tank34 like this

#3 wipeout

wipeout

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:21 pm

Good thing it wasn't the shore we were lucky last time luggs worked well saved the day
  • fat man likes this

#4 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:49 pm

Daft question, what's a shore?

#5 neil cooney

neil cooney

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:53 pm

A shore is a man made drain that's lined with flag stones.

If it is the one I think Fat Man is talking about it's a dry shore beside a farmers yard that is like a magnet for foxes. 

I often remember regularly bolting 3 or 4 foxes out of it. In fact we often popped into it on the way home just to have a quick bolt to give a lurcher something to do. 

But, my father had a very promising lurcher who was killed coursing a bolted fox out of it, Fatman's great little lakeland Tiny had her last hunt there as did one of my terriers.

It's not that they were lost in it but that it was the last place they were in. So maybe it's cursed, LOL.

#6 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:00 pm

Yeah I get ye, we got em here in Yorkshire, thought it was either that or an artificial, cheers
  • tb25 likes this

#7 fat man

fat man

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:58 am

I bet you were glad there was no digging involved Fat Man, as it's so hot and you hadn't the lads with you who usually do all the digging anyways, LOL.

What terrier was it ?

Barney.

#8 fat man

fat man

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:06 am

A shore is a man made drain that's lined with flag stones.

If it is the one I think Fat Man is talking about it's a dry shore beside a farmers yard that is like a magnet for foxes. 

I often remember regularly bolting 3 or 4 foxes out of it. In fact we often popped into it on the way home just to have a quick bolt to give a lurcher something to do. 

But, my father had a very promising lurcher who was killed coursing a bolted fox out of it, Fatman's great little lakeland Tiny had her last hunt there as did one of my terriers.

It's not that they were lost in it but that it was the last place they were in. So maybe it's cursed, LOL.

Yeah same shore,it has held some amount of foxs down through the years and i bolted an otter from it a couple of year back.I remember the day your fathers lurcher hit the stump,i think Spud was involved in that accident.Tiny took a lot of stick that last day out o a bad fox,i remember your punch dog was in it a long time and we could not even find him,but it was only a couple of year ago that we found out that the shore heads out towards the main house,right up next to the gable infact and then heads towards the field at the front of the house,as wipeout said we were lucky to locate LUGS in it.

• neil cooney likes this

#9 neil cooney

neil cooney

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:22 am

What terrier was it ?

Barney.

Ah, some great breeding in that fellow.

#10 fat man

fat man

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:53 am

What terrier was it ?

Barney.

Ah, some great breeding in that fellow.

Yeah nice bit of wheaten in him back the way,lol.

#11 neil cooney

neil cooney

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:21 pm

LOL, but there must be some other good blood in there carrying the wheaten blood ?

#12 fat man

fat man

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:23 pm

LOL, but there must be some other good blood in there carrying the wheaten blood ?

Yeah some looney up in CO,Meath put something into the mix but i eventually bred that cur blood out and finished up with Barney the ugly b*****d.

• neil cooney and Keepbordersworking like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users