Adding Fat For Stamina.

While out with my eighteen month old kelpie pup recently I noticed that his tongue was out and he was looking tired much earlier that my eight year old bitch. Now, while this didn't overly concern me, as he's only a pup so not his "true-self" yet, it did get me thinking about feeding for stamina so I did a little research this morning.

I found one PDF of some research by a Canadian vet which said that while adding carbs to a human diet increases stamina (as is the case with marathon runners for example) this won't work in the same way with dogs because of the different ways in which our bodies use the different elements of our diet. She recommended increasing the fat content. I also found another site (though admittedly I believe it was a research paper pertaining to "complete" foods) which agreed and recommended feeding 20% fat and said that lowering this amount to 10% would mean you'd need to increase portion sizes by 20% to keep dogs in the same condition.

What are peoples thoughts on this and, if you agree, what would you say was the best way of adding fat (there was a lot of stuff about the different types of fat but I was in a rush and my brain started hurting :blink:).

Incidentally I feed mine using frozen 400g packs of chicken and liver, chicken and rabbit, beef and tripe etc combined with either turkey necks or chicken wings plus whatever else is left over from food preparation or after the kids have eaten. :D The info on my packs said they vary from 10% to 16% fat.

Also, not that it matters as every dog is individual, Rusty weighs about 35 lbs and gets 300g (he's fifteen so just manages to bimble into the garden for a wee and then goes to sleep again), Scout is about 27 lbs and gets 400g and Noggin is about 40 lbs and is on 1kg +...greedy pig!

Edited by Neal

Nowt wrong with plenty of fat in the diet.

I've started to cut down on the pig skin/fat I was feeding him as he now needs more protein. He's coming up to a year old and has plenty of puppy fat on him. I've replaced it with lamb/sheep bellies and less of it but increased the protein to lean and muscle him up over the next 3-4 months, to get him going this winter ;)

Whether it increases the stamina well I guess that depends on the dog tbh and how it uses the nutrients.

• 4 weeks later...

mine gets chicken carcasses, lamb ribs ( nice and fatty) and i also feed skinners duck and rice kibble. if he's looking a bit lean i mix hard beef fat in with his grub ( usually after working him) . get down to a big butchers ( that actually butcher carcasses ) and they'll have plenty they want rid of free.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that's the one I read too. :thumbs:

I swapped him over to minced beef for a while, as it had a higher fat content, and, as a result, his intake has gone down to around 800g...then again it could just be his age. :hmm:

A thought most working dog men women actually knew fat was the fuel for working dogs but hey ,worlds a funny old place any animal can run out a gas irrelevant of breeding stamina make up etc ,one needs to realise and see when ones animal his running low on fuel ,and of course in young saplings rest and rest equally has important.atb bunnys.

• 1 year later...