Vehicle Night Vision

Thank you very much for the product introduction Ian, I can't think of anything more to add to it but members can contact me for specific information as required, or ask me on this thread.

The spotter is best used in a static role or by a lamp man/spotter man lol. I should caution that 'driving by spotter' in the past has led to me running over golf course greens etc that I didn't ought to have. I got completely disorientated because my natural night eyesight had been lost due to concentrating on the screen - and I also got motion sickness.

I have been involved in hand held and truck mounted spotters since making this video that I recorded in 2011.

After getting over the driving novelty I now position the monitor down near the truck gear gear stick so it is out of my driving field of view and only look at it when stationary or on clean ground with no iffy bits. That also helps to avoid nocturnal quarry seeing the illuminator light source on the spotter that is noticed much easier when mobile than if it were static. It also prevents a fox coming from behind the truck area from seeing the monitor through side windows.

Here's a couple more photos:

DSCF4827_zpshnzsoz6t.jpg

DSCF4930_zpsilxkahbi.jpg
  • Like 2

Got mine today great thanks

Looking forward to trying it out at the weekend

I have a couple of Pulsars the ns550 and the 870 off Ian

One of the places we shoot foxes they are baited in and this devise looks ideal....we can just sit and watch the screen rather than looking through the scopes for long periods of time.....as I'm not sure its not goof for my right eye

Are they in stock or are they made to order thanks

I sometimes have to wait a few days for parts. I have three cameras due tomorrow for example, all other parts are currently here. I can usually supply one within a week.

I took a mate out lamping with me on Sunday night and exploited the opportunity to video some spotter lamping - he's a member on here so will probably chip in lol

https://youtu.be/b3JODhah--k.

Edited by some bloke

Short notice demo night for this spotter, a hand held spotter and rifle night vision rigs. All are more refined than average digital home built rigs, and I don't use cheap cameras unless stated. Location Eastern Leicester city border.

I can carry up four passengers so if anyone wants to see this tonight or tomorrow night get in touch - or arrange for next Sunday or Monday, weather permitting. you need to be able to arrive at dark and be able to stay for an hour or more for the demo.

I'm offering this to people with some forum history - and across other forums too.

• 2 weeks later...

A 'one off special' version is currently for sale.

This specific one has the usual 12v 5" HD monitor replaced by a used but good condition self powered 5" screen DVR with a custom made AV in camera cable. 3 x 1 meter extension cables, four self adhesive cable tidies and an adaptor that will allow it to be fitted to a light force remote handle.

The 501b IR and my car plug test power supply are not included in this sale. I only have one of these and it is posted elsewhere too.

[/url]

DSCF4976_zpspsseisfp.jpg

Price is £260 posted RMSD.

This specific one has the usual 12v 5" HD monitor replaced by a used but good condition self powered 5" screen DVR with a custom made AV in camera cable. 3 x 1 meter extension cables, four self adhesive cable tidies and an adaptor that will allow it to be fitted to a light force remote handle.

The 501b IR and my car plug test power supply are not included in this sale. I only have one of these and it is posted elsewhere too.

[/url]

DSCF4976_zpspsseisfp.jpg

Makes a cracking vehicle setup Dave, easy to mount, they work very well in low light without any IR with the aperture fully open like you said. I'm just making up a bar, so I can mount my vehicle spotter alongside my thermal which I use, should be an awesome combination and remove the need for separate IR on the rifles fitted with NV.

[/url]

DSCF4976_zpspsseisfp.jpg

Makes a cracking vehicle setup Dave, easy to mount, they work very well in low light without any IR with the aperture fully open like you said. I'm just making up a bar, so I can mount my vehicle spotter alongside my thermal which I use, should be an awesome combination and remove the need for separate IR on the rifles fitted with NV.

Thanks Ian, as you say, it can avoid having to turn on a rifle IR (unless the quarry moves out of the spotter view while your lining up the shot)

Also saves the quarry from seeing the rifle IR movment as you address it, and if you are recording the shot from either or both camera's you don't get the IR reflection from muzzle blast obscuring the strike. :D

Here is another quick 'Spotter Lamping' video.

Basically I mostly drive a bit then stop to scan with the spotter, quarry will often spot a moving illuminator if it points at them. Don't believe the myth they cannot see it, it's just harder to notice it if they are not looking at it while its focused into their eyes.

If I'm in a bad position I mostly turn off the illuminator before relocating, then try again. If happy I start the recording, get the rifle into about the right position and only then turn on the rifle mounted red lamp. Be advised if you don't need to record don't get involved because the time being taken to get things 'just so' often result in a missed opportunity.

https://youtu.be/c1OqGClUNDw

It's been pointed out that this dyslexic old git forgot to put a price on the basic unit. :icon_eek:

I have also added some little extra's:

2 extra 1 metre extension cables to facilitate placing everything exactly where you want them to be. The monitor can now be secured almost anywhere in the truck with blutack or velcro. + four self adhesive cable tidies to allow you to leave the cabling neatly in place and just bring in the camera assembly to stow somewhere out of sight in the car, remember it doesn't need charging up - so you'll never forget to load it. :huh:

So here is the new packing list of parts:

DSCF5010_zpsz0db4b68.jpg

E700 camera - modified with the neck milled back… set to black and white - installed and lid fitted.

50mm F1.4 C mount lens - will be supplied by default as best option for mixed fox and rabbit spotting.

5" HD LCD monitor with modified cable and plug.

Torch saddle clamp.

4x M4x40 cap head screws.

4x cable tidy to permanently leave cable in place.

3x 1 meter extension cable to facilitate all mounting preferences.

12 volt car accessory plug with soldered cabling and plugs.

Suction mount assembly with a replacement stainless steel pivot ball stud and wing nut.

Rain shelter and fixing bolt - to be fitted as needed.

Price is revised to £210 posted RMSD to UK addresses.

As this spotter is strictly truck powered it never needs to be taken indoors for charging, changing batteries etc. So it - nor its accessories need ever be left at home. I leave the cabling in position with supplied self adhesive cable tidies.

Consequently it is very quick to remove the camera assembly from out of sight under the seat and fit it to the windscreen or wherever when I'm ready to use it. I'm only using one of the three 1 meter cable extensions that are supplied for larger trucks or extended mounting requirements.

• 1 month later...