Help On Starting Up

Off topic maybe but informative none the less, I like informative discussions (not arguments) as I think you can learn both points of view and decide for yourself and as a novice to stalking the more discussions the better, most of the threads on stalking are about a stalk someone has had and whilst interesting it's not very educational, some of the questions I've been asking on the stalking directory are probably starting to piss everyone off and I'll get barred from the site for stupidity,but in the quest for knowledge I'll continue.

Hi timmy k You keep your questions coming and if it pisses people off that's tough, the only way to learn is by asking questions, i know you would rather get some stalking under your belt before doing dsc1, but if you know anybody who has done the course ask to borrow the course notes and if you can find a copy of deer quest which you can load on to your computer you will find a lot of good info which will probably answer a lot of your questions,

Do your DSC1 it will help you get your FAC. As other have said not a legal requirement, but recognised by lots of police forces as acceptable training. It's no alternative to experience but that's a bit of a chicken and an egg situation isn't it in your position. You mention paid stalks this is what I was going to do, but my local force, Sussex, would not accept my application even though I had a letter for a professional stalker saying i had been out stalking with him and had paid for more. What was missing was a bit of land to shoot on on which my gun (FAC application) could be registered too.

I was stuck for a while and then remembered an old mate that had a farm, and quick call and all was solved.

Good luck.

Kev

• Like 1

It depends on what you want to do, to gain experience or pay someone £70 to be taken to a high seat, is that going to teach you anything, you are paying for a days shooting not a days lesson. Whilst they might give a pointer or 2 they don't care if you shoot or not, you could be paying to sit in a hedge that deer haven't been in for years.

There are those on here and out there who pay to shoot and those who have their own land. Those who have their own land do far more than pull a trigger and that is a good half of what you need to know and a classroom is not the place to learn that but it is a start.

Today ive been out since 5 am checking land seeing what's about watching deer counting them, then I've gone round 7 high seats checking painting and I'm out again in morning, then I will instal a tower I've spent a month prepping. I've a tree to cut down, and signs to put up, So yes there will be someone who will guide you, if those are doing it in secret I am happy to say publicly get your @rse down south and I will take you out.

Looking at the DSC half of it is useful stuff the other half is a waste of time, you will learn far more in the field but if you've done the course it will go some way to say you've got commitment.

• Like 1