What Pcp?

Good Morning All,

I am in the process of introducing my 14 year old grandson to rifle shooting. He has fired (for the first time), using an FAC pcp air rifle belonging to a friend of mine under strict supervision by both of us needless to say, on paper targets. I must I was pleasantly surprised to see his 5 shot groups shrink to around an inch at 50 yards after a few targets were shot...............that for a beginner is pretty good but I guess a lot of you seasoned shots on here would be doing just a ragged hole at that distance.......something, pardon the pun, for him to aim for.

I am planning to buy him a sub 12ft/lb pcp (I do not want to go down the springer route), for his birthday later this year if his interest has not waned and he continues to practise the safety rules I have rammed into him.

So Gents, over to you, what in your opinion is the best one to look for? Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

(New, not secondhand and cost not really an issue).

Thanks..

atb

Frank

• Like 1

I'd just say get to your local RFD and shoulder as many as you can mate with your grandson and see which fits him the best.

You'll find people will just recommend the guns they like for themselves not meaning they're not good guns but may not be good for the young un.

Get some pics up once you're sorted

I agree with bunny blatters comments generally. However, with the wealth of experience here it seems a shame not to listen to a few possible suggestions. Maybe Im very cynical but an RFD wants to make a sale. For what its worth in my opinion an Air Arms S200 would be a great little gun. Yes Im basing that on my experience. Yes I own a mark 2. However, with a ten shot conversion and the fact that it is relatively small and light. It is easy to handle and for the price it is very accurate. It would make a great hunting rifle in .22 you could possible use it for target shooting too.

Any of the HW 100`s.

It is no coincidence that most shooters own or have owned one .

They have a magazine that is bomb proof, their accuracy is incredible and it is rare to hear of one letting the owner down.

HW 100 in the format of your choice (by a country mile) :yes:

• Like 3

The chaps have mentioned some of the best. Without starting a row and Mark is right, the HW100 is probably the way to go, but if you start 'smaller' as in cost, its something he can work up too and appreciate the lesser models so to speak. Not that any aren't gonna put all mags worth of pellets inside 1/2 inch at any distance. Ive mentioned before if you dont start with other models, you dont really see the amount difference a top end field PCP/Springer makes. If you got him a 100, when he gets the urges to want something new... it'll only be as good performance wise, as they really dont come much better.

• Like 1

Whoa HW100 built like tank! Weighs as much as a Krupp 88mm cannon! It may prove too much for the average 14 year old to hoist about and shoot!

Much as I am loathe to suggest it, the Air Arms S200 is ideal for what you are looking for, as is the BSA Ultra (but avoid the MMC model, way too complicated and prone to bits snapping), Brocock do some nice rifles as well.

The BSA Scorpion could also be worth a look.

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1

Whoa HW100 built like tank! Weighs as much as a Krupp 88mm cannon! It may prove too much for the average 14 year old to hoist about and shoot!

Much as I am loathe to suggest it, the Air Arms S200 is ideal for what you are looking for, as is the BSA Ultra (but avoid the MMC model, way too complicated and prone to bits snapping), Brocock do some nice rifles as well.

That's in your opinion and I have never heard of things snapping ,you just don't like that cocking system full stop .

I have never had a problem with mine in 4+ years and I like the cocking system , its not complicated either

• Like 1

To be fair, one of the old ultras in single shot, of the old boys at the club, wasn't standard at all internally, was one of the top 3 most accurate rifles I've shot. It was old too, but literally blue printed to an inch of its life. Never forgot those 6 shots I had with it, only looked like I'd had one at the target end :D

Rez , with the MMc cocking ,your hands are always on the gun and they have that extra safety as well .Probably the most accurate air gun I have ever shot , my shooting mates just cant believe the shots I have pulled of with the ultra

Rez , with the MMc cocking ,your hands are always on the gun and they have that extra safety as well .Probably the most accurate air gun I have ever shot , my shooting mates just cant believe the shots I have pulled of with the ultra

Took the words from me Mitch, - an Ultra SE (.177) is absolutely outstanding and in my humble opinion 2nd "just" to the 100`s and half the price but if cost is not considered go 100`s (for me). :yes:

Are you asking or answering a question there v'man? :)

That's in your opinion and I have never heard of things snapping ,you just don't like that cocking system full stop .

I have never had a problem with mine in 4+ years and I like the cocking system , its not complicated either

The probe has a habit of snapping due to springing back and coming to a sudden stop, the bit you push in snaps due to being made of a low grade alloy. Similarly the probe release switch can also break making it so you cannot reload the gun. Two weak points.

The MMC has been known to confuse even experienced shooters in the field leading to, though more usually on magazine fed models, two up the spout! I have owned an MMC and found that compared to a decent bolt or side lever it is a right damned faff. Second safety my behind. Slows you down when with a quick second shot you could have got a double (as I have found when roost shooting). What ever way you look at it, pressing the side switch, catching the probe on it's spring assisted launch back, pushing probe forward, then pulling MMC is a damned site longer than pull bolt back, push bolt forward! Also the MMC can be so badly set up at the factory that it is akin to a bullworker for the hand rather than a simple 2 finger pull back. The MMC can also take you off aim if it is badly set up leading you to have to reacquire the target. I know, my .22 was not easy on the MMC and within 3 weeks had been returned to the shop from which it was purchased!

Google BSA Ultra breaking pellet probe or probe release switch. The MMC was not BSAs finest hour!

Edited by secretagentmole