Kayaking On The West Coast Of Scotland

Got a little thread going in General talk, but it's turning into a fishing thread really lol.

Fishing off the kayak on the West Coast of Scotland has been great fun,

Took a few trips to suss it out, starting on feathers with a pirk and drifting about, catching small pollack and coalfish and some little codling..

I paddled further afield and found some really deep drop offs against the islands around the edge of the loch entering the sea.. Now these looked really fishy, a good tide sweep around them, so letting the kayak drift naturally and bouncing a fiish black minnow behind, twitching it with a really slow retriev soon produced some bigger fish..

The first night I had 8 fish up to 6lb.. Really nice fishing and gave a good pull on a 15-50g lure rod and 2500 size reel.

post-50738-0-70918800-1438516739_thumb.jpg

The next night it was a bit rougher and made it a hard paddle, but the island offered a bit of shelter and the drift was perfect around the island..

Then bang I was hit by a real big fish, it took a load of line and kept going, I could feel the line cutting through the kelp, and tried to slow the fish.. The 10lb leader wasn't up to it and with a snap it was gone!! That was a big fish.

On with a 15lb trace and try again!!

An hour or so later, the lure was hit again and I was back into a big fish, it ran hard and felt really heavy, after 5 mins or so I had alongside the kayak.. It was a big pollack, around 3ft long and I'd guess at 10lb or so.. A really cracking fish for inshore waters, I've only caught them into double figures wrecking, this was miles better!!

post-50738-0-32112000-1438517159_thumb.jpg

I put the big boy back to fight another day, he was too nice to take lol.

Back out this morning, and same drill.. Only the one fish but another nice one of about 6lb..

Got another couple of days here, so I'm after a 20lber lol!!

post-50738-0-09320900-1438517305_thumb.jpg

post-50738-0-17218600-1438517335_thumb.jpg

post-50738-0-40534300-1438517409_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Looks like your having some cracking sport

There mate. Never fished the west coast but its on the too do list. Lovely sized pollock too. Keep posting the pics an updates looking forward to seeing a double figure monster lol

ATB

MAG

• Like 1

3rd thread Ive seen that pollock on today :whistling:

Cheers, D.

Don't exegerate.... It's the 2nd lol..

Thought I was gonna run the wrath of the mods on he General section lol

Cheers all,

I had a pod of porpoise around me the other night Ken... Only 10ft or so away all up and blowing... That had the ass hole twitching a bit lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 4

Cheers all,

I had a pod of porpoise around me the other night Ken... Only 10ft or so away all up and blowing... That had the ass hole twitching a bit lol

Did you paddle fast enough for them to ride the bow wave? :laugh:

TC

Cheers all,

Did you paddle fast enough for them to ride the bow wave? :laugh:

TC

I paddled after them TC lol... I chased em around for a bit, then sat still for 5 mins and they popped up all around me, I've seen all sorts in boats, dolphins, porpoise, basking sharks etc.. but it's all a bit more up close and personal on the kayak.. makes you feel a bit smaller for sure lol..

Even the seals which pop up with a snort each time I'm out here make you twitch a bit lol

:laugh: fecking seals. I had been out one night, and decided to drift the flood in as it was a beautiful morning. So I shot all my nets out, turned the net bin upside down and lay across it holding the line to the net. I must have dozed off as I was woken by a seal that came up by the side of the boat and snorted, the water went all over my face and with the noise, water and opening my eyes to see a seal about 2ft from my face. I shat myself. :laugh:

TC

• Like 3