Lurcher Showing Does And Donts

Hi All. I've taken my Lurcher pup to a couple of local terrier and Lurcher shows and really enjoyed it in the under 12 month classes. Can any one give me the heads up on does and don'ts with regard to showing. Just the basic things will do so I don't make a tit of myself. Cheers nat.

post-100245-0-34935000-1437736280_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

If you enjoy it then just keep on doing what your doing. It's 'supposed' to be a bit of fun at the end of the day. Some take it far too serious but let them crack on if that's their thing. Others like to prove their dogs in other ways. Each to their own!! As said sometimes the winner has been picked before you go in the ring. ATB

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1

Sad isn't it, but I had to steel myself to write this, as showing seems to be looked down upon so much by many of the members on here as something that non-working lurcher owners do, and not something that real 'hunters' would ever stoop to :laugh: but I used to show my dogs a bit, and judge occasionally and even enjoyed some success in the ring for a couple of years. Being, as some people would say, a smart a*rse :tongue2: , I try to do everything to the best of my ability: sorry, a very annoying trait to some people, but it's just who I am, so here is a list of tips gleaned from my fairly brief foray into showing ....

Have a confident dog that isn't scared of being handled by a stranger: this means that your dog must trust you not to put it in danger, so even if you don't normally let strangers handle your dog it should tolerate this in the ring under these circumstances. Find like-minded people to approach your dog under supervision to pick up its feet, for example.

A narrow rope lead shows off a dog better than a wide greyhound type collar, particularly if the dog is light coloured. A wide dark collar can 'cut' a chunk out of the dog's outline and make its neck appear shorter. Lurchers are generally supposed to have long elegant necks, and a thin rope lead of similar colour to the dog helps to show this off to its best.

Make sure the dog is clean, ears, eyes and coat. Nails trimmed to the correct length and neither overweight nor underweight and with the appropriate amount of muscle for its age and type.

Never put yourself between the judge and your dog: sounds daft, but some people, when they are asked to 'trot' their dog up do so with the dog on the wrong side. Many judges ask people to 'trot a triangle' when you move the dog individually for them after they have examined it. Make sure that your dog is always between you and the judge even if it means changing the side on which you lead the dog.

Trot the dog at the best speed for its size and age. Too slow and the dog will amble like a camel, moving both legs on one side at the same time. Don't run with a tiny dog, but do run with a bigger dog that needs to move faster to make it trot properly. A slow but steady trot should show off the dog to its best; long loose stride which covers the ground well.

Don't haul the dog's head upwards or hold the lead so tight that its front feet barely touch the ground as it trots in an effort to make it move prettily. If the dog tries to trot with its nose on the floor try moving the lead up its neck to just behind its ears and lock it there with the keeper and keep the lead taut without stringing the dog up unnaturally.

Stand the dog properly, without stretching out its hind legs and front legs so it looks like a bloody rocking horse. If the dog keeps moving its hind legs forward when you have stood it as you think fit, then they are too stretched out. The front legs should be vertical, not at an angle.

Answer the judge's questions, if any, honestly and don't try to influence their decision by rabbiting on and giving them yours or the dog's life story: they won't remember a word you said anyway unless it's to repeat any ridiculous tall stories to their mates afterwards.

Only let your dog lie down and relax while the judge is checking individual dogs over if it is a very big class; otherwise try to keep the dog standing and looking alert as the judge will often take a quick glance over the line up between dogs.

All this will only help if the judge actually knows what he or she is looking at, and then you'll only do well if the judge happens to like your particular type of lurcher, even if it is the 'best' in the ring. Most lurcher judges have an idea of movement, but many have little or no idea of correct conformation for the type, and in the end it is only one person's opinion, and your opinion of your dog is more important than anyone else's.

Show well but don't place any importance on the result: plenty of 'ugly' dogs do well in the field.

• Like 3

Hi All. I've taken my Lurcher pup to a couple of local terrier and Lurcher shows and really enjoyed it in the under 12 month classes. Can any one give me the heads up on does and don'ts with regard to showing. Just the basic things will do so I don't make a tit of myself. Cheers nat.

Don,t take it to serious,steer clear of the NRLC organised shows and just enjoy the day for what it is,the chance to meet a few like minded souls and an education into the nuggets that are about.