Does anybody have any experience with these? I have access to quite a bit of wood in the form of windblown hardwoods, some of which seems criminal to log for firewood.

How difficult to use are they physically?

What does the finished article turn out like? I am expecting it to be rough, but how rough, and how square/true are the cuts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard work, and slow compared to a wood mizer, but you can turn out decent planks if you are careful. We ran a few planks out with some nice burl in recently, was planning to make tables over the winter but people bought them all so none left now! If you have plenty to go at see what it costs to hire a wood mizer (bandsaw mill) in for the day we pay about 400 a day, machine and operator, with minimum 2 day hire. You'll need someone handy with a digger too to feed it but you won't believe how much timber it'll turn out in 2 days!

if its just for hobby use and your not planning on doing it comertially, why don't you make one? ive been watching a few videos on youtube and they are pretty simple bits of kit. All you need is some 1" box section and a welder? im gonna get some steel and make one soon as I get chance, I think it would be a handy thing to have :thumbs:

• Like 2

Its the saw that's the expensive bit, £1500 for an 880 I think

yeah I agree, but ive got a cheapo chainsaw at home with a 20" bar and I reckon I could probably mill logs up to maybe 15"? still get some reasonable timber from 15" logs, just need to do more of them lol but it would be nice to have one of them with a really long bar, and do some table tops or worktops or something? money to be made im sure! (if you have access to the wood in the first place)

if its just for hobby use and your not planning on doing it comertially, why don't you make one? ive been watching a few videos on youtube and they are pretty simple bits of kit. All you need is some 1" box section and a welder? im gonna get some steel and make one soon as I get chance, I think it would be a handy thing to have :thumbs:

That's a good idea. One I have toyed with myself...

I may well gice it a go.

• 10 months later...