Origin Of Black Eyed Whites

Most likely from breeding the tamest wild polecats to the tamest again over generations. So they could get an animal that could be handled and be used for working. Their was a documentry about silver foxes in a russian fur farm. They were bred for certain triats over 50 year. Some to be tame and others to be aggresive. The tame ones eyes changed shape. Also eye colour and their coats became lighter. Some becoming white. The rowdy mob of foxes coats became darker. They done it with mink too with the same results.

• Like 2

Most likely from breeding the tamest wild polecats to the tamest again over generations. So they could get an animal that could be handled and be used for working. Their was a documentry about silver foxes in a russian fur farm. They were bred for certain triats over 50 year. Some to be tame and others to be aggresive. The tame ones eyes changed shape. Also eye colour and their coats became lighter. Some becoming white. The rowdy mob of foxes coats became darker. They done it with mink too with the same results.

I saw that, really interesting documentary.

I think bew is just a silver without any black isn't it? never seen a bew myself.

This year I bred polecat to polecat and all were like this hob I kept back.post-747-0-54812200-1437328108_thumb.jpg

Except this wee Jill.

post-747-0-79488600-1437328155_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-35215200-1437328194.jpg

I've kept ferrets for over 35 years and never seen this. Silver body, white head.

Just hopes it works as good as the parents.

• Like 6

Look up Waardenburg syndrome in ferrets.

TC

Yes tiercel it was my first thought but is definitely not deaf, plays ok etc seems a normal kit except for the colouring.

Waardenburgs can cause deafness but not in every case. Humans get Waardenburgs also but not accompanied by the deafness. The main clue with that kit is the four white paws.

TC

• Like 1

Look up Waardenburg syndrome in ferrets.

TC

Yes tiercel it was my first thought but is definitely not deaf, plays ok etc seems a normal kit except for the colouring.

Waardenburgs can cause deafness but not in every case. Humans get Waardenburgs also but not accompanied by the deafness. The main clue with that kit is the four white paws.

TC

Interesting I didn't know that, what's the outlook for the kit then?

This year I bred polecat to polecat and all were like this hob I kept back. image.jpg

Except this wee Jill.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've kept ferrets for over 35 years and never seen this. Silver body, white head.

Just hopes it works as good as the parents.

I bred one identical to that Jill a couple of years ago, it was mental from the day I started handling it. Kept it for 5 months and couldn't tame it. It was like something possessed.

Most BEW get along OK work no different to any other ferret, although as stated above you do get the odd one that is a bit loopy. Certainly not a cull yet.

BEW is really a bit of a misnomer as once they have their winter coat they have black guard hairs.

TC

Edited by tiercel