Rabbit Hunting In A Remote Land Allowed?

Good Morning All,

Im a newbie and all new to this hunting in Highlands. I bought an air rifle yester after making calls and confirming with English and Scots firearm departsments of buying and carrying in a car an air rifle without FAC (fire arm certificate). Now, Im here to ask you kind people that If I can hunt rabbits and pheasant if I see them in a land where I wouldnt see general publics, houses or farm animals (like pictured below). I know there is no 'common land' anymore as it belongs to someone.

So am I allowed to do hunting in a remote land at all?

Any advice on this much appreciated.

Cheers

post-100166-0-02855900-1437041145_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck me it never ceases to amaze me why new starters dont take any notice of us and go and buy a fecking cheep useless peace of crap   BUY CHEEP BUY TWICE end of   Listen if your wanting to shoot

Welcome and no, you still need permission. Also pheasants are subject to closed seasons.

The only thing that I can add to this advice is that if you were shooting on said types of land it would give all the types of people that don't like this sport more amo to get it stopped all together

Posted Images

zacmuh - you need permission, preferably in writing, from the land owner before you can even carry a gun on any land. This includes shooting at targets (cans etc.).

It's also a good idea to join a shooting organisation such as BASC or Countryside Alliance, they provide third party insurance for your shooting activities.

• Like 1

You will find that land like what you have photo,d is national park land and if court on it you WILL find your self in a hole Heep of trouble

as they prosecute every time

Just get your self smartly dressed no camo gear at all and go and knock just like the rest of us

and leave the rifle at home when you do .

you will get a few knock backs and a few other words to lol

and be polite to the farmers

but just keep trying and some thing will come along

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Welcome to the Forum.

As with other good advices here.

It's also highly unlikely you'll get permission to carry and shoot your air rifle in the sort of landscape in the photo you provided. There is no such thing as un-owned remote land no matter how remote it may appear to be. Somebody or groups of bodies, trusts and commissions owns it or has control and management of it.

Something like The National Trust, Scottish Wildlife Trust. National Parks commissions, The Forestry Commission, The Queen's Highland Estates and God knows who else will be responisble for it. It will likely have public right of access to roam and walk over/through and if you are found with an air rifle on this sort of parkland you are in for a court summons and even a possible prison sentence. Your rifle will be confiscated for good, for certain just to begin your troubles.

Follow the good advice here about getting written permission from landowners aznd farmers and ensure that you are fully aware of the boundary limits of the land you have permission to shoot over. You cannot allow your shot to pass from a field you have permission to shoot in, over a boundary line into a field you do not have permission for.

The UK laws on shooting and firearms are very strict indeed and ignorance of them is no excuse. Show yourself to be responsible and fully aware of the law and you'll be in good stead to get permission.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

The only thing that I can add to this advice is that if you were shooting on said types of land it would give all the types of people that don't like this sport more amo to get it stopped all together.

Try to find a club in your area and mix with like minded people and some thing will come up.

Also do some reading on BASC web site.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum.

As with other good advices here.

It's also highly unlikely you'll get permission to carry and shoot your air rifle in the sort of landscape in the photo you provided. There is no such thing as un-owned remote land no matter how remote it may appear to be. Somebody or groups of bodies, trusts and commissions owns it or has control and management of it.

Something like The National Trust, Scottish Wildlife Trust. National Parks commissions, The Forestry Commission, The Queen's Highland Estates and God knows who else will be responisble for it. It will likely have public right of access to roam and walk over/through and if you are found with an air rifle on this sort of parkland you are in for a court summons and even a possible prison sentence. Your rifle will be confiscated for good, for certain just to begin your troubles.

Follow the good advice here about getting written permission from landowners aznd farmers and ensure that you are fully aware of the boundary limits of the land you have permission to shoot over. You cannot allow your shot to pass from a field you have permission to shoot in, over a boundary line into a field you do not have permission for.

The UK laws on shooting and firearms are very strict indeed and ignorance of them is no excuse. Show yourself to be responsible and fully aware of the law and you'll be in good stead to get permission.

Thats what i meant to say lol

cheers Simon :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanking everyone for the great piece of advice. Yes, I'm searching for a shooting club to join as I type :)

I drove up to Highlands on the 17th looking for Rabbitland. While heading for Inverness I took A93 then A939, through Cairngorms National Parks and found loads of deers, hares and rabbit in a field near a littel village called Tomintoul. So I popped into this restaurant and asked them if that field belongs to them and got an answer saying it belongs to one the the Estates. Then I googled and rang the Park people trying to get permission but they refused saying they've sold it to a hunting sports agent and I have to go through them.

Then started again from Fort William to Glasgow but couldn't fin any single rabbit. Stopped by and asked a farmer. He gave me permission to shoot them saying I'd be lucky if I found any because he hadnt seen them for 3 years or so in that side of Highlands because they all died due a disease. Then I thought I would go through a sporting agent, rang couple of them but due to short notice, most of them were not available. Then luckily I found a dearstalking person through Google in Dumfries who was more than happy to take me to his back graden/field to shoot rabbit for free of charge. I got there in the dusk all geared up, took my spring piston 177 rifle (please see attached pic below) out and shot four rabbits in 40, 30 and 5 yards and guess what....all four of them were shot yet they managed to escape before I got to them. The last one I shot within 5 yards was a headshot though!

That gentlemen said that my gun isnt powerfull enough to kill but bruise them and I would need a 22 one if I want to kill a rabbit. Is he refering to .22 calibre rifle? Should I get a PCP or Co2 one?

Cheers

post-100166-0-68179500-1437996997.jpg

Zakmuh, im not expert but you say the last one was a head shot? They should all be head shots!

You want to aim for the brain just behind the eye do some researcher first..

Nout wrong with a .177 but maybe your gun is underpower due to being poorly made? How old is it? Get a crono and check the fps before firing off at live targets ??

Gl and have fun

• Like 2

Feck me it never ceases to amaze me why new starters dont take any notice of us and go and buy a fecking cheep useless peace of crap

BUY CHEEP BUY TWICE end of

Listen if your wanting to shoot live pray then do it properly and use the right tool for the job

dont listen to what a shop keeper is saying to you ask us we will tell you all he wants is to sell his crap rifles to people like you

If money is no object then hears a few

HW100 kt 177or22

hw100k sporter 177 or 22

hw 100 full length kt 177 or 22

hw 100 full length sporter 177 or 22

these are the best out standing but they cost a fortune from £715 to £800

then daystate but they have issues at the moment so stay clear

rapid seven 177 or 22

s410 s200 177 or 22

s510 177 or 22

bsa ultra 177 or 22

bsa r10 177 or 22

spring rifles

hw97 kt 177 or 22

hw97 sporter 177 or 22

tx 200 177or 22

pro sport 177 or 22

hw77 177 or 22

hw 80 177 or 22

hw 90 177 or 22

hw 95 177 or 22

and so on any one of these rifles if you only ever bought one in your life would out last your life if looked after and more than capable of taking down rabbits and other pray

another is the raider a rifle that is not as dear as the rest but will olso take down your pray to

all of these rifle,s you can find cheaper in the second hand market just make sure they have been looked after

and dont go and shoot live pray until you can put ten pellets or more in side of a five pence size circle at your zero,d distance I.E> 25.30 40 yards

And ALL WAYS CHECK ZERO WHETHER HUNTING OR AT THE RANGE be fore you start

and 177 or 22 cal will kill full stop if from the right rifle

well thats my rant over

• Like 4

Feck me it never ceases to amaze me why new starters dont take any notice of us and go and buy a fecking cheep useless peace of crap

BUY CHEEP BUY TWICE end of

Listen if your wanting to shoot live pray then do it properly and use the right tool for the job

dont listen to what a shop keeper is saying to you ask us we will tell you all he wants is to sell his crap rifles to people like you

If money is no object then hears a few

HW100 kt 177or22

hw100k sporter 177 or 22

hw 100 full length kt 177 or 22

hw 100 full length sporter 177 or 22

these are the best out standing but they cost a fortune from £715 to £800

then daystate but they have issues at the moment so stay clear

rapid seven 177 or 22

s410 s200 177 or 22

s510 177 or 22

bsa ultra 177 or 22

bsa r10 177 or 22

spring rifles

hw97 kt 177 or 22

hw97 sporter 177 or 22

tx 200 177or 22

pro sport 177 or 22

hw77 177 or 22

hw 80 177 or 22

hw 90 177 or 22

hw 95 177 or 22

and so on any one of these rifles if you only ever bought one in your life would out last your life if looked after and more than capable of taking down rabbits and other pray

another is the raider a rifle that is not as dear as the rest but will olso take down your pray to

all of these rifle,s you can find cheaper in the second hand market just make sure they have been looked after

and dont go and shoot live pray until you can put ten pellets or more in side of a five pence size circle at your zero,d distance I.E> 25.30 40 yards

And ALL WAYS CHECK ZERO WHETHER HUNTING OR AT THE RANGE be fore you start

and 177 or 22 cal will kill full stop if from the right rifle

well thats my rant over

I put it next to the s410 Tim

its hard trying to type and knit lol :laugh:

when being mad at some one :laugh:

IMO you should have learnt what gun you need and where to shoot before you started taking potshots at living animals. 4 out of 4 rabbits escaped to possibly die a slow death or at least have a few painful days ahead of them when a bit of research could have prevented that.

IMO you should have learnt what gun you need and where to shoot before you started taking potshots at living animals. 4 out of 4 rabbits escaped to possibly die a slow death or at least have a few painful days ahead of them when a bit of research could have prevented that.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: