Had ferrets for about four years now, and always just kept jills as when I was starting out it's what people told me where best, then after reading on hear lately I noticed that a lot of peoples opinion that hobs where better, more thorough type of worker, so this year I got a hob kit and he is huge, at around 8 weeks I think he must be he is the size of my largest Jill, so my question was can they be too big to work? Should I have tried to find a smaller hob?

Yeah I think this one may end up too big, I can't see that when fully grown a rabbit would be able to pass him or get free from him to bolt if he had hold, but we will see. And thanks for the offer onemanandhisdog, but I'm in Hampshire

I use a huge hob for working. My best worker infact. He never touches the nets once hes in the burrows. Only comes out when the last rabbit is dead or bolted. Couple of people have said hes too big but hes out every chance i get and we always do ok on a days grafting. He works fine and works fast too. Never came across a burrow he couldnt get into.

• Like 2

Even with Jill's you need a good working hob if you want to breed them there's no use having a good Jill and putting here to any old hob and breeding crap a good hobs a important part of the team or a breeding product , if the hobs no up to the job it's time to cut your losses and move on and I don't mean pass it on to somebody , where it will sire Kitts or be sold as the best working ferret ever in a few weeks it costs as much to fed a good one as it does a crap one

Aye. Hobs they seem to be faster and catch more. In small sets you would have the spade out a fair bit. I only use mine in the big warrens in the sand dunes where your not always going to be able to dig. As they often go too deep. Anything under a thirty holer use a jill.