My .17Hmr Sucks Won't Group As Well As My Old One

Tried various ammo in the 16" cz 452 stainless

Hornady

federal

winchester

I usually zero my 17hmr rifles at 120 yards

tried zeroing at 100 yards but best groups I was getting were around 1.5" to 1"3/4 (good still summer day)at 100 yards my old cz I had about 8 years ago would put bullet on bullet all day long at 100y

I thought it was my rifle at the start so I arranged to go out with two other friends to check the accuracy of there's at the 100 yards.

Results were not better than mine with and ammo yes there were a few good groups but a average 5 shoot group was still around the 1.5".

So now I believe it's the new ammo compared to to my hornby I shoot 8 years ago.

It's annoying me that bad I'm considering trading it in with my o/u shoty for a new sx3 semi shotgun ?????????????

Was considering changing it for a weihrauch hw66 17hmr

I have tried everything to get it to shot i the first one i had the accuracy got better over time so i rammed 300 shot down it one cleaned the done several groups still no difference

i feel clever having seen the light early.........17 hornet

How do you rate the. 17 Hornet Mike?

i'm one fussy customer,i hated the savage when they first came out.the cz is a game changer ..75 moa max 5 shot factory (waiting on dies)no silly flyers, light weight, no louder,set trigger .can't say one bad thing and that extra 1000 fps smacks hard.i know you had/have anni thumbhole elliot ,i sold mine to get this and so glad i did.

mike

The CZ 452 has a relatively light for-end and can be susceptible to movement. You should check that the barrel is completely floating. Touching the wood at any point will cause poor grouping.

Did you shoot your friends rifles or was it them?

Edited by Cedric

I have owned a CZ452 HMR with a heavy 16 inch Varmint barrel for about 10 years. I did the mods, trigger and relieving the woodwork round the barrel, when I first bought it new. It remains as accurate as those early days, if rested on the bi-pod with the butt supported and have had many rabbit kills, well beyond 150 yards on a still day. I have only cleaned it with a bore snake and Bisley gun oil. The first shots may be off by an inch at 100 yards after cleaning, but chest shots will do the job well enough, then it's back to 12 mm groups at that range.

My latest blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cz-452-hmr-varmint-is-a-verminator-at-long-range/

Seen a nice 20 tac set up might trade the 17hmr in and my 223 against it ☺

You won't go wrong with a 20 tac, I have 2 one with nv an the other in day set up,

The only thing is it turns rabbits into glove puppets,

Bob