Hunting Act Reform - Act Now !!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my reply -   Dear Julie, Thank you for your reply, although its not what I wanted to hear it is what I expected, you may not know this but the hunting act doesn't just stop people follo

It is now being widely reported that the Government will propose amendments to the Hunting Act and that THIS COULD GO TO A VOTE AS EARLY AS NEXT WEEK.   The amendments, if passed, would remove the a

No offence intended Len and certainly none taken..... but an open forum isn't a wise place to discuss tactics or details.   All I can say is that I wouldn't have put my name to it, if I didn't think

Done it but the daft Labour MP never came back before even after me chasing it up, I doubt the silly B*** will this time either!

had nothing but an automatic response from mine saying he will get back to me within 6 weeks!

Havent checked my email yet but that will be the standard, heres the link to the proposed amendments for anyone wants to look -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2015/9780111137628/pdfs/ukdsi_9780111137628_en.pdf

I got to admit i had a tantrum at first but it does look like a step in the right direction, plus more opportunity for digging!

• Like 1

I'm surprised just got my reply -

Dear Mr. Ballinger,

Thank you for contacting me recently regarding the Hunting Act.

I share your appreciation for the British countryside and believe that we need to do more to preserve our countryside and to support communities living in rural areas.

That is why I believe the Government should prioritise the wider issues affecting rural communities such as low wages, the shortage of affordable housing, improving infrastructure and protecting public services. I also believe the Government should be focusing on tackling rising energy prices and protecting rural bus services.

I know from the many e-mails and letters I have received that there are strongly held views on both sides regarding the Hunting Act. I support retaining the ban on hunting as I believe it is an important animal welfare measure and that we have a moral duty to treat the animals we share our planet with in a humane and compassionate way.

I also believe that the Hunting Act has strong support across Britain, including from many constituents who have written to me about this issue. Indeed, a recent Ipsos MORI survey showed that 80% of people support the ban on fox hunting.

As you know, the current Government is committed to giving Parliament a free vote on repeal of the Hunting Act and proposes introducing a government bill in government time, it has been confirmed this will now be this week on 15th July.

I will, of course, continue to listen to the views raised by all constituents on this issue and how we can do more to support rural communities. I cannot, however, support repealing the Hunting Act at this moment in time.

Thank you once again for writing to me about this issue.

Yours sincerely,

Julie Cooper MP

This was my reply -

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your reply, although its not what I wanted to hear it is what I expected, you may not know this but the hunting act doesn't just stop people following packs of hounds on horseback to cull fox, hard working men, women and children of this town risk persecution should their lurcher take chase of a mammal that is not exempt (rats & Rabbits). Common sense should tell you that the law is flawed by the following facts -

1) I can hunt a 7-9lb hare with a 2-3lb hawk but not with a 60lb dog, legally speaking this is absurd based on the law being about animal welfare (Whats the difference?).

2) I can use a terrier to ground to protect game birds for shooting but not to protect livestock for general consumption (Whats the difference?).

3) I can with my dog hunt a rabbit but not a hare, a rat but not a mouse (Whats the difference?).

4) What about invasive species like american mink and grey squirrel, i am sure you are aware of the damage caused by the local American Mink population on the river Calder due to anti types taking action based on emotion and not logic? These could easily be controlled if not eradicated by regular dog work, shooting/trapping is not an option in such an area.

5) If you are against hunting with dogs surely you against fishing for sport?

"I support retaining the ban on hunting as I believe it is an important animal welfare measure and that we have a moral duty to treat the animals we share our planet with in a humane and compassionate way."

Based on your above comment how do you justify any the above? While allowing indiscriminate shooting of fox year round, factory farming, halal/kosher slaughter?

With regards to your mention of the IPOS MORI poll of 2014 - A poll which asked 1,971 adults (15+) - being an MP that has taken part in the recent election you should know better than to trust polls that claim to be the view of the population, the above is 80% of 1,971 people surely you understand that this does not constitute the views of 60 + million people regardless of however many anti-hunt types throw it around the media?

I understand that you will probably be forced to vote against this by the Labour party but may I remind you that you have been elected/employed by the people of this town to represent our views and not that of the Labour party.

I trust following this email you will take action to do your own research and make your own mind up regarding this issue which has nothing to do with class or animal welfare just an attack on people that work dogs (Not necessarily hounds to which we are quite numerous in this town). I hope you take note of your former leader and our former Prime minister of the regret of this law passed through in such an undemocratic way, if Labour is to survive in the future i would suggest that it learns to ignore the extreme views and large donations of certain "charities" and focus on logical management of this country and its environment.

​Yours sincerely,

Michael Ballinger

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Micky that is a fantastic reply, well said mate. I hope it at least makes her stop and think.

Good to read that... ;)

Cheers Bosun, I hope so, i'm surprised she replied i didn't get anything back from the last one we did re: repeal, I do hope it goes through it could open some doors for me for digging in the future.

• Like 2

This was my reply -

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your reply, although its not what I wanted to hear it is what I expected, you may not know this but the hunting act doesn't just stop people following packs of hounds on horseback to cull fox, hard working men, women and children of this town risk persecution should their lurcher take chase of a mammal that is not exempt (rats & Rabbits). Common sense should tell you that the law is flawed by the following facts -

1) I can hunt a 7-9lb hare with a 2-3lb hawk but not with a 60lb dog, legally speaking this is absurd based on the law being about animal welfare (Whats the difference?).

2) I can use a terrier to ground to protect game birds for shooting but not to protect livestock for general consumption (Whats the difference?).

3) I can with my dog hunt a rabbit but not a hare, a rat but not a mouse (Whats the difference?).

4) What about invasive species like american mink and grey squirrel, i am sure you are aware of the damage caused by the local American Mink population on the river Calder due to anti types taking action based on emotion and not logic? These could easily be controlled if not eradicated by regular dog work, shooting/trapping is not an option in such an area.

5) If you are against hunting with dogs surely you against fishing for sport?

"I support retaining the ban on hunting as I believe it is an important animal welfare measure and that we have a moral duty to treat the animals we share our planet with in a humane and compassionate way."

Based on your above comment how do you justify any the above? While allowing indiscriminate shooting of fox year round, factory farming, halal/kosher slaughter?

With regards to your mention of the IPOS MORI poll of 2014 - A poll which asked 1,971 adults (15+) - being an MP that has taken part in the recent election you should know better than to trust polls that claim to be the view of the population, the above is 80% of 1,971 people surely you understand that this does not constitute the views of 60 + million people regardless of however many anti-hunt types throw it around the media?

I understand that you will probably be forced to vote against this by the Labour party but may I remind you that you have been elected/employed by the people of this town to represent our views and not that of the Labour party.

I trust following this email you will take action to do your own research and make your own mind up regarding this issue which has nothing to do with class or animal welfare just an attack on people that work dogs (Not necessarily hounds to which we are quite numerous in this town). I hope you take note of your former leader and our former Prime minister of the regret of this law passed through in such an undemocratic way, if Labour is to survive in the future i would suggest that it learns to ignore the extreme views and large donations of certain "charities" and focus on logical management of this country and its environment.

​Yours sincerely,

Michael Ballinger

Micky..... well done you, I take my hat off to you mate :thumbs:

I suspect the "Honourable Lady" got back a little more than she expected and all presented in a very courteous and informed manner.

As of 2.30 pm today, 38,324 emails had been sent to MPs in support of these amendments.

Please all keep up the pressure and share the link at the beginning of this thread with all your friends, relatives and contacts who are likely to support us.

If we can't win this one.... then we don't have a cat in hell's chance of winning the big one.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

• Like 2

There are over 56.000 members on this site and I would hope that everybody who is able to vote would do so even though it may not be the sport that the take part in, the outcome will affect you in the future wether you hunt, shoot or fish so please vote ASAP don't leave it to somebody else or you may regret it. 30 seconds of your life may preserve YOUR hunting for the future.

• Like 4

Fair play MickyB. Well written.

Hopefully plenty others will follow your example?

Sometimes I wonder if some people are more interested in the colour of patterdales or mystical Irish Staffs than actually doing something constructive for their own game? JMO.

• Like 2
  • IanB unpinned this topic