We've got a borehole for our water. Bearing in mind I used to do a bit of plumbing you'd think I could figure it out, but it's all Greek to me.

The pipe comes out of the ground into the boiler room, goes through 2 filters and a water conditioner, then back into the house. That bit makes sense. BUT...

there is a pipe teed off the feed into the house that goes into some sort of holding tank. Also makes sense, but there is no pipework coming out of this tank??

We had the electric off for a few hours the other day and we still had water, so I know the tank works but I can't see how.

Could someone please explain in simple (townie) terms if this is correct and how it could possibly work?

Ta.

It's not a townie question there has too be a pipe and pump coming off the tank or you would not have any water unless you've now got a mains hookup

No mains here mate. The pump is at the bottom of the borehole and definitely only one pipe going into the bottom of this tank thing. Only thing i can think is its pressurised so if the pump stops running there is still pressure in the pipes, but seems a bit odd.

the back up tank is often in the loft. gravity feeds your taps when the lecy is off. goes back down the fill pipe when needed. I assume the tank has a float valve!?

Edited by trenchfoot

the back up tank is often in the loft. gravity feeds your taps when the lecy is off

We can't afford a loft, so maybe this is the same principle but under pressure? Ah well, as long as it works I suppose.

Daft question, but what shape is the 'holding tank" as it could just be an expansion vessel. This, if you don't know already is essentially a metal bubble with a bladder within it that allows in the case of most boreholes for the fluctuations in pressure caused by the pump/demand allowing a more constant flow to the taps and is essentially a store of pressurised water... Some are large some are small depending on the system... Unless it is a open tank then in which case show us a picture of it as I am curious as hell!!!

Daft question, but what shape is the 'holding tank" as it could just be an expansion vessel. This, if you don't know already is essentially a metal bubble with a bladder within it that allows in the case of most boreholes for the fluctuations in pressure caused by the pump/demand allowing a more constant flow to the taps and is essentially a store of pressurised water... Some are large some are small depending on the system... Unless it is a open tank then in which case show us a picture of it as I am curious as hell!!!

It looks like a large cylinder. Similar to a domestic hot water cylinder.About 5ft high by 3ft across. It also has a pressure gauge sticking out of the top.

Yep, sounds like a expansion/pressure vessel. Does exactly what I've just said but your one will deliver quite a large amount of water, which is handy if you have a power cut. It may also have a pressure switch on it, so that when your store has reached say 4 bar it will shut off then when it depletes to maybe 2 bar it will kick the pump in and replenish the tank, this stops excessive cycling of the pump (therefore less wear) and keeps a relatively constant supply to the house etc.. Run a tap and see what the pressure gauge on top does, is the gauge on a small box with a wire or 2 coming out of it?

They generally don't need to be maintained, things to look out for would be pressure gauge on top rapidly increasing and decreasing in pressure when pump kicks in and when drawing water, which would indicate the precharge pressure in the vessel needs to be replenished or the bladder has gone, pressure switches sometimes go but apart from that nothing, they do trap a bit of sediment in them but generally shouldn't need cleaning if your filters are replaced often enough...

Deep boreholes are unlikely to have any problems regarding listeria, so long as no surface water can run down hole (which is where most of the bacteria come from) Legionella is more of a concern when, especially when exposed pipework can reach temperatures of above 20 degrees, a lot of farms/farmers have pipework above ground and run along hedges etc. which could cause problems if they were to breath any steam/vapour in...

Hope that helps!

Anorak, out!!!!

Yep, sounds like a expansion/pressure vessel. Does exactly what I've just said but your one will deliver quite a large amount of water, which is handy if you have a power cut. It may also have a pressure switch on it, so that when your store has reached say 4 bar it will shut off then when it depletes to maybe 2 bar it will kick the pump in and replenish the tank, this stops excessive cycling of the pump (therefore less wear) and keeps a relatively constant supply to the house etc.. Run a tap and see what the pressure gauge on top does, is the gauge on a small box with a wire or 2 coming out of it?

They generally don't need to be maintained, things to look out for would be pressure gauge on top rapidly increasing and decreasing in pressure when pump kicks in and when drawing water, which would indicate the precharge pressure in the vessel needs to be replenished or the bladder has gone, pressure switches sometimes go but apart from that nothing, they do trap a bit of sediment in them but generally shouldn't need cleaning if your filters are replaced often enough...

Deep boreholes are unlikely to have any problems regarding listeria, so long as no surface water can run down hole (which is where most of the bacteria come from) Legionella is more of a concern when, especially when exposed pipework can reach temperatures of above 20 degrees, a lot of farms/farmers have pipework above ground and run along hedges etc. which could cause problems if they were to breath any steam/vapour in...

Hope that helps!

Anorak, out!!!!

Very informative thanks.

I'm not worried about it being worn out yet as it's only a few years old and still under warranty. The only pipework above ground is the bit in the boiler room. We had the water quality tested before we moved in and it was good. I might add a UV filter to it though just to be on the safe side.

Is there a rough cost in getting a bore hole done.?I've always thought about it as I don't have a mains supply.