Just Because I Can Should I ?

Yeah it's worth mentioning as well that .22-250 is based on a 25 calibre case and so is a big step up from .223:

You really get a feel for it from this pic when you look at the diameters:

22%20cartridges.jpg

...and in Scotland is legal for Roe deer as well as Muntjac (a testament to it's performance) - I don't deer shoot, but I know people who do, and I've never heard of anyone not dropping a Scottish Roe cleanly with a .22-250, (sure it has happened at some time through a bad shot), but most people says it drops them like a stone.

As I'm sure you know, if you need deer in England though, due to legislation you need to go .243 or higher unless your content with MJ and CWD, but as I mentioned above, beware the land clearance aspects when on a closed ticket of going larger than you need for varmints.

Did not realise the difference in 22-250 to 223 never seen them side by side like that

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ohh ok there statement is wrong they just made it up! Dan simple fact is once you have the experience and we both know you don't you will realise that the caliber of gun you use is irrelevant no one i

Alsone I think they are both great calibres and you are right it is personal preference, having shot a .223 and a .220 swift all winter long I can say that IMO it makes no difference as to where you

.243 is good for any animal you wish to kill in the uk including big red stags, you do not NEED anything else, and .243 shoots with a much flatter trajectory than .308, so is far better for lamping ch

Quite simply any advantage a 250 may have is outweighed by the increase in noise recoil barrel wear and ammunition cost anyone who has real world experience knows that the majority of fox are shot sub 250 yds so any ballistic advantage is minimal but then if your only experience comes from looking on the internet I guess the 250 looks impressive

• Like 1

I've only really used 5.56mm which is the same as a .223 barrel wear isn't noticeable using ammo velocities less than 3800 fps ammo cost is within pences here. Recoil isn't to bad with a mod as I've recently found out but it is very slightly louder. But to be honest if your shooting in a built up area people will here a .223 as much as a .22-250. The biggest benifit Imo is the trajectory whilst lamping when range estimation is different. I agree most foxes are shot under 250 yards and me personally 90% of the time are under 150 yards. But it's nice to no if I get a lamp shy fox running from the lamp but stopping outside of 250 yards I can just literally point and shoot with no holdover to work out ;)

Even at 4000fps velocity it'll take thousands of rounds to wear the barrel down. I spoke to my local gunsmith regarding barrel wear and he reckons even when the barrel is worn down you'll still have more than enough accuracy to nail a fox it just won't be good enough for serious target shooting. How true this is I'm not sure.

Edited by shropshire dan

So Dan I have hornadys reloading book here using there maximum loads

If zeroed at 200yds

.223 40gr 3800fps

.22-250 40gr 4100fps

@ 300 yds the difference in drop is 0.9"

.223 50gr 3400fps

.22-250 50gr 3800 fps

@ 300yds the difference in drop is 1.5"

To gain these small advantages means burning at least 10grs of powder or to be precise some 50% more than the .223 in the real world there is no advantage over the .223 at low range

With the .223 recoil is minimal noise is minimised and barrel wear is negligible and as is demonstrated only marginally lacking in ability my statement stands the 250s advantages are outweighed by its disadvantages

• Like 1

Factory or reload makes no difference the data speaks volumes as does hornadys statement on their website that their .223 53gr super performance Matches a 250

Quote from website-

223 Remington at 3,465 feet per second pushing 53 gr V-MAX bullet that has been optimized for peak performance from the 223 Remington chamber. This new bullet boasts an amazing .290 BC that enables this load to produce trajectory and wind drift equaling that of a conventional 22-250!

Ohh ok there statement is wrong they just made it up! Dan simple fact is once you have the experience and we both know you don't you will realise that the caliber of gun you use is irrelevant no one is the best you can claim it's awesome and Alsone can post YouTube vids but those of use that get out there and put foxy to sleep every day can see it for what it is.the 250 has its place 300yds +it has an advantage over the .223 but sub 300 nah it's all snot and nonsense is it the best over 300yd gun no way so where does that leave us well it's a compromise as all calibres are is it the best for fox no again cause no one calibre is best and no two peoples ground/situation or application is the same

• Like 5

Alsone can post YouTube vids but those of use that get out there and put foxy to sleep every day can see it for what it is.the 250 has its place 300yds +it has an advantage over the .223 but sub 300 nah it's all snot and nonsense is it the best over 300yd gun no way so where does that leave us well it's a compromise as all calibres are is it the best for fox no again cause no one calibre is best and no two peoples ground/situation or application is the same

Not posted any vids Dan although that is the only way to illustrate things online been as you can't witness live shooting on a forum. Rather than hating, maybe you should respect a differing opinion.

I know plenty of people with .22-250 including someone I meet 7 nights a week in the pub who goes Roe Deer Stalking in Scotland with it several times a year. I've also gone on many a walk around with people with both .223 and .22-250. The terminal performance of .22-250 is the best I've seen from any .224 calibre bullet. That's just my opinion and you're free to disagree but personally I think the destructive power is the best I've seen this side of .243, even better in my opinion than the faster Swift.

Does that make it the best? Not necessarily, but it would be my choice of the .224's for knock down power.

..and yes every calibre is a compromise and personal choice. Some people value trajectory and power whereas others value comfort, low noise or other factors, plus usual range plays a factor in choice.

Everyone has a favourite calibre for their own situation.

I own a .223 and have shot it side by side to a .22-250 and a .220swift..... My Opinion of the 3 is that the 22-250 and the swift are considerably louder and kick a little harder than the .223, and they use a lot more powder for the minimal gains in performance that they offer.

I think people read to much into ballistics charts and believe because one calibre shoots marginally flatter to 250m, its better... But ballistics charts don't give you the feel of recoil, the decibel reading or the cost of more powder....

One thing I can say for a sure is you wont shoot any more foxes, or any foxes at longer distances with either the 250 or the swift! You will just make a louder bang doing it!!

• Like 2