Fancy A 99S In .177

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so got those crono results 567.1 568.8 562.5 568.2 563.4 562.5 562.5 559.5 562.5 561.2 so running at about 11.2 put about 300 jsb's through it seems to be settling down nice.

Dont get confused there Bernie,look at my reply to your op, in which I did state the diference between a break barrel and a HW97/ or a AA TX. the major diference between them is the underlevers have a

Nearly had three this morning...

Posted Images

To be honest, I think you will find its just the same spring in both calibres, thats the reason the .177 only makes 9.5-10 ftlbs out of the box, and the .22 around 11ftlbs, I dont like piston sleeves, and did not rate it in my .177 99, a tbt kit will improve things, I never thought my .177 was very snappy/twangy, the 99 has a very short stroke so lock time is dead quick,

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/172796-HW99s-has-anyone-actually-shortened-a-barrel-on-one

Here is a very good thread on the .177 this guy knows his stuff, and as you will read, actually got the .177 over the limit using(you guessed it) ultimox 226 grease :D the piston seal usually benefits from a slight reduction,as I find them rather tight, which saps power, all that is needed is a go round with some 2000 grit wet and dry, take your time, and if you find consistency is poor remove the piston sleeve and try it then, you could shorten the spring,plenty of vids on youtube about doing it, but you will find you will add both power washers from the tbt kit, but its all trial and error, keep us posted mate.

• Like 1

Feck me I started reading that threw last night finished it about an hour later lol.

Good read that's got me thinking, I'm a little more confident in the .177 99 now!

Put the Bushnell on it tonight and removed the open sights- they look bloody lovely with them removed! The Bushnell looks massive though! Needs a 4x32 on low mounts to balance it out

Nobody used to be concerned about the weight of HW77's, 80's and TX200's.

Has there been a sudden outbreak of 'noodle arms' in the airgun world?

Also if i were to get another gun, I definately wouldn't compromise on my prefered calibers .177 or .20.

Nobody used to be concerned about the weight of HW77's, 80's and TX200's.

Has there been a sudden outbreak of 'noodle arms' in the airgun world?

Also if i were to get another gun, I definately wouldn't compromise on my prefered calibers .177 or .20.

Well shepp I see what you mean, but my choice of the 99s was based mainly on the interals, I wanted a break barrel that was designed to shoot optimum around 11ft/lbs. After a lot of research it seems that some are not I.e. Prosport, 80, 35.... These are more optimised for FAC power, in the same way that a 30 is better for around 6ft/lbs

Well down the range tonight again with the 99.

It has now been cleaned and lubed, and fitted with the Bushnell.

First few shots were very ropey. After 50 or so she settled down, doing ragged one hole groups at 20 yards, lovely. The action is smoother and quieter.

A couple points though, I couldn't get the scope to zero as I ran out of elevation. I think this down to a slight bit of barrel droop so it'll be a case of shims on the scope mounts. Secondly the trigger is set forward quite a bit and isn't ideal.

After hearing pianoman saying that his sweet shooting 77 has original internals (no tophat!) I'm loathed to by any parts for this one I think I'm going to just try and get the best from what it is so polish lube and maybe new seals, trigger tune and just see what I can get from it.

Cheers

Stripped the 99 again today, full clean and relube. Polished the piston, piston chamber and spring ends. Added a washer on top of the ptfe piston sleeve to allow the spring to twist easier when cocking and firing. Adjusted the trigger to a much lighter setting (not too light mind!!) really looking forward to trying her out Monday!

Got a selection of sample pellets to try too, should be good

• Like 1

Stripped the 99 again today, full clean and relube. Polished the piston, piston chamber and spring ends. Added a washer on top of the ptfe piston sleeve to allow the spring to twist easier when cocking and firing. Adjusted the trigger to a much lighter setting (not too light mind!!) really looking forward to trying her out Monday!

Got a selection of sample pellets to try too, should be good

Let us know how you get on jonnie.

• Like 1

Well gents I'm starting off with an apology- I had an epic fail at the range tonight. I put a few shots through the 99 with exacts, looked good. Then the grouping slowly grew and grew. What feck??? Turns out my scope mounts were loosening up. I'd shimmed the back mount as the scope elevation was maxed out the previous week, and I was a bit shy when tightening the screws as to not damage the scope. Feck sake. So back to the range next week.

So never ended up getting any useful results!!

However I did stuff a few sample pellets in her.

H+N hunter extreme - very solid fit in the barrel, well made

Webley accupel- pretty loose fit, about as loose as jsb exact 4.52's

RWS superdomes- snug git, slightly less snug than H+N

RWS superfield- more like super slack. These were very loose

Until next time eh? Think a new piston seal might be in order. Trying to find ultimox....

Well gents I'm starting off with an apology- I had an epic fail at the range tonight. I put a few shots through the 99 with exacts, looked good. Then the grouping slowly grew and grew. What feck??? Turns out my scope mounts were loosening up. I'd shimmed the back mount as the scope elevation was maxed out the previous week, and I was a bit shy when tightening the screws as to not damage the scope. Feck sake. So back to the range next week.

So never ended up getting any useful results!!

However I did stuff a few sample pellets in her.

H+N hunter extreme - very solid fit in the barrel, well made

Webley accupel- pretty loose fit, about as loose as jsb exact 4.52's

RWS superdomes- snug git, slightly less snug than H+N

RWS superfield- more like super slack. These were very loose

Until next time eh? Think a new piston seal might be in order. Trying to find ultimox....

Don't forget your Allen keys next time jonnie.....I've done similar many times.

• Like 1