Daystate Regal .177 Becoming A Great Rifle Worthy Of A Second Glance.

Gentlemen.
As we all well know, by now, Daystate have come in for a lot of critical schtick about their HUNTSMAN REGAL almost since it came out on the market. Apart from complaints about issues with loose barrel shrouds and stiff bolts, in almost every case it's been found to be leaving the factory woefully underpowered. These complaints are not without justification.

A rifle costing the best part of £800 new in the box should not be performing way less than a Turkish Hatstand springer. Add a couple of hundred quid or so for a scope and an effective silencer (the A&M mod. I have is amazingly silent.) a sling and swivells and a gunslip/case and you are going out with about £1,200 or so of shooting rig.

Not the sort of money you want to spend on a gun that can't humanely kill a rabbit at much over 30 yards as less-costly spring rifles so easily can.

But that's what I and other owners here found after we had parted with our thick wedge of hard earned for this rifle. Not a very satisfactory state of affairs. A lot of these rifles have been returned to Daystate for sorting out, or back to gunshops for refunds and very black marks all round. Enough to give Daystate cause for concern over this product of theirs.

So that's been the hard story of this rifle.

However, don't write the Regal off entirely. I almost did, as a pile of un-shootable rubbish but, I persisted with it, instead of writing it off and demanding my money back.

I spent just £25 quid with REDBECK SHOOTING SUPPLIES nr Wakefield Yorkshire, to have mine serviced and tuned up in power to about 11.3 ft/lbs. The loose shroud tightened up and the rifle generally returned to how it should have left the factory in the first place.

I find the air indicator guage is unreliable as for an accurate read of the air you're using but, the rifle performs very sweetly at what seems to be about 150-160-bar pressure.

It is unquestionably, an incredibly accurate rifle over my garden range and it's now run-in to become a real field hunter.

Last night on one of my permissions it produced some amazing shots for me. A prone position, headshot woodpigeon at over 45 metres out of a tree and a bag of 9 rabbits in 9 shots, four of them from standing -basically, a full magazine for my evenings shoot.

This morning it took 27 rabbits, 6 woodies and a crow! At differing ranges from close 15-20 metres to one rabbit headshot and killed at pushing it out at near 60!

I am now, seriously well impressed by what this rifle has now proved itself capable of. It's not a hefty rifle and this factor makes it absolutely superb for stalking/mooching where standing shots sometimes present themselves. The stock really comes into it's own for making standing shots comfortable to compose and bring on aim. After decades of doing this with hefty spring rifles it was an almost negligably easy monoever to shoulder and settle the rifle into a welcome comfortable aim with accuracy.

So, all fair play to it! Now, my .177 Regal has begun to perform like a proper air rifle of this level of price-point should.

My Regal's set-up is comprised of a HAWKE PANORAMA EV AO 4-12X40 IR scope, A&M MARKSMAN SILENCER and two magazines.Best Pellet is AIR ARMS FIELD 4.51MM .177.

Without a doubt, Daystate have the potential for a truly world class PCP air rifle here with the Regal. We should not have to seek necessary aftermarket tuning and servicing with a brand new rifle or anything else in this day and age..

BUT...If you are prepared to invest a bit of cash or a beer or few with a tame gunsmith who knows PCPs and, can sort out the power, there's a magnificent air rifle with looks to die for that handles every shooting position and situation beautifully. I honestly cannot fault this rifle at all.

But, the faults with the rifle that have blacked its books, genuinely lies with the company itself. If you send it back to Daystate you are in for a long wait and a disappointment when you find there is little or no improvement to power performance.

DAYSTATE, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE BUILD THE BLOODY THING PROPERLY AND SEND IT OUT LIKE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

Pianoman.

• Like 7

Well i never , Simon singing :guitar: the praises of a pcp and a bloody gaystate at that :doh:

you will be selling your springers next Simon

cracking shooting by the way as if it needs to be say,d

glad its sorted for you bud

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS you will be getting an hw100 next :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

• Like 2

Totally agree

It's just a fecin shame that daystates after sales services are pure shit , I phoned them about the m4is less than 3 months old being under power at 10 .4

There reply no problem take it back to rfd where bought , and it would take about 6 weeks to sort out ( bollo$$s )

Then they said take it to dave at staffordshire custom rifles they could do it a lot quicker

I rang dave , no probes mate bring it up , so I did , 1/2 hour later it was all sorted and it's now bang on the button

Point being , why the fec should I have to do this , simples I WANT IT RIGHT AS IT SHOULD BE .

Simion never a truer word spoken

I just hope that some one from day state is on this site ,, and TAKE FRIGGIN HEED OF WHAT THERE COUMSTERS AR SAYING

it's just a piss take when your good hard earned cash is spent a a product that does NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN

atb

Dave

• Like 2

These things should be sorted before they reach the shops,if problems arise they should be sorted pretty quickly but unfortunately this is the way it is sometimes,hopefully the company is doing something notable to put this behind it,Simon I think you've started a day state bashing thread!!

Does anyone think daystate would benefit from a springer on its list?

• Like 1

I don't want to start a Daystate bashing thread random. I really am trying to speak up for what is proving a great rifle to own and shoot with. But the company has to really pull its socks up if it wants to stay in business. You should not have to spend time and money finishing off the job for them. But if you do, at least you get a top notch rifle working properly for you.

It's the company that's the problem. Not the product.

I waited over two months for my Regal to be repaired; until I sent an email to Daystate's customer service dept. That same day, they emailed back to say the rifle is repaired and on its way back. They might as well not have bothered for all the good it had done.

These are brilliant rifles being made like Bentleys and fitted with lawnmower engines.

Put some oomph in it and it's a blistering hunting tool!

As for a springer on the Daystate list, No. They will never compete with Weihrauch while they can't even complete the rifles they do make properly.

Simon

• Like 4

These things should be sorted before they reach the shops,if problems arise they should be sorted pretty quickly but unfortunately this is the way it is sometimes,hopefully the company is doing something notable to put this behind it,Simon I think you've started a day state bashing thread!!

Does anyone think daystate would benefit from a springer on its list?

Yes.

wasn't there a guy on here from daystate? soon went quiet :laugh:

A lad in our club bought one a bit back took it back as soon as he been on the range and swapped it for an r10 and pocketed the change,

No doubt they make good looking and very capable all be it expensive rifles its all down to the QC.

Edited by treecreeper
  • Like 1

i know i will get the defending Daystate for this ;) And trust me if i had experienced all the above probs i would be screaming from the rooftops but i own an Airwolf and a Panther and both have not skipped a beat have been shot in all weathers and trust me they are used :yes: both over two years old now and other than routine cleaning etc i have not spent a penny more on them ;) Just my experience of Daystates ;) i do not agree with the recent designs on the pulsar and the discontinued Mk4 as well as cost but again personal choice ;)

Edited to say i have no experience of the pulsar other than what i have seen in pics but would like to shoot one if the oppotunity arised ;)

• Like 1