Top Tips

Guest vin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont feed cheap cat biscuits from supermarkets as a staple diet for your ferrets excluding anything else...seen this done over a few generations with a mates ferrets and they always seem to snap thei

Try not to over-complicate the ferreting game,...keep it simple,..in and out,..no fecking about..

Always take a smaller bloke with you,,,,to order around and fetch and carry......

Posted Images

Always save the last caught rabbit un-gutted... We usually drop the guts after emptying a warren and bury them before moving onwards etc etc.. But I always leave the last caught bunny clean and fresh.

Just in-case of a ferret lay up in a tricky spot where you can't /don't want to dig etc etc.. Open up fresh stinky belly and blown down the warren the aroma of fresh bunny guts will often draw the ferret up for a quick sniffty...its your chance to move on from a tricky spot etc etc.

its the only way I've ever managed to evacuate a ferret that's maybe scratching away below at a balled up stop ended bunny etc etc..

You have to be quick and prepared to grab the fert quickly before it goes back down to the depths of the warren..and be careful the ferret doesn't grab a mouth full and go back down with it...lol. . . I sometimes open the guts up and then put the bunny in a purse net just down the entrance of a decent looking hole..If on a very big warren I put locator next to bunny in net and then when ferret is getting closer I get ready for the moment of contact.

Best value for money rabbiting knife..

Bought this next seasons supplies for me and shrekky from that shop that sells things for a pound...8 knives in 1 pack for a quid..you cannot beat that really...even if they are cheap shite...its only the blade you need for gutting nice and quick.

the smaller one is great for the keyring as an emergency spare.

attachicon.gifnew knifes.jpg

attachicon.gifnew cheap skinner..jpg

Forget all them fancy knives handmade from old hand files and crafted into spectacular pieces of art..Save them for the collection at home.

I taught him that...

• Like 2

Always save the last caught rabbit un-gutted... We usually drop the guts after emptying a warren and bury them before moving onwards etc etc.. But I always leave the last caught bunny clean and fresh.

Just in-case of a ferret lay up in a tricky spot where you can't /don't want to dig etc etc.. Open up fresh stinky belly and blown down the warren the aroma of fresh bunny guts will often draw the ferret up for a quick sniffty...its your chance to move on from a tricky spot etc etc.

its the only way I've ever managed to evacuate a ferret that's maybe scratching away below at a balled up stop ended bunny etc etc..

You have to be quick and prepared to grab the fert quickly before it goes back down to the depths of the warren..and be careful the ferret doesn't grab a mouth full and go back down with it...lol. . . I sometimes open the guts up and then put the bunny in a purse net just down the entrance of a decent looking hole..If on a very big warren I put locator next to bunny in net and then when ferret is getting closer I get ready for the moment of contact.

And I taught him that....

• Like 4

Ive used the method mentioned above for drawing ferrets out multiple times on spots I cant dig, good tip.

This ones for new ferreters, let your ferret get well clear of the rabbit hole hes exiting before picking him up, if you grab him when hes half way out he might learn to duck back inside the hole, this is called skulking.

Not suggesting anyone should go out and poach but if you do and you get caught be polite, youd be amazed how often you end up with the permission .

• Like 2

Starting a young ferret let him come out to the field a bit before picking him up, spit on the back of your hand and when he is getting a drink pick him up with the other hand,put ferret to the mouth of the burrow let him go down himself,put him in the deepest part off the burrow first.

When working thick cover, especialy if youre alone and cant watch the entire warren, try putting a cat bell on an elastic band and putting it on your ferrets neck, if it snags underground its easy for the ferret to pull off. Bells do stop working when they get full of mud so take spares.

• Like 1