River Aire Fish Passes!

No mate not fished there more down from the Abby to armley But this year trying up Rodney,will give back of pub ago mate

I not fished it either looks very fast and shallow but seen some nice trout while looking off the bridge.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went down to the river Aire on Saturday for a look at the new fish passes that have been built....       Eel board.......     And the other.....     Another eel board....    

A bit of revival of an old topic but I have to share the joy lol   I got a phone call from a mate who was fishing the aire and he caught 3 eels!!! So I shot down to see and here they are....    

i remember seeing fish trying to jump the weir at cas... i wasnt sure what they were, i was stuck on the bridge in traffic at the time. nice to see those pics tom .

Posted Images

It was a while ago now but the fish passes will no doubt help them move about...

http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/thousands-of-eels-are-released-into-the-river-aire-1-2090699

And the barbel.....

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/Barbel-boost-for-River-Aire/

Iv caught barbel in the stretch in kirkstall from stockings.

Top river is the Aire, did you catch much in theese swims jdarcy?

Good link about the eels, you learn something new every day! There's also a number of grayling in the Aire in that area. :thumbs:

Fished all them spots some nice chub,thay did put ells in the river at the old shit beds at rodley,have seen otters to,in the top pic there's an island an there's a man made otter Holt on it

You are quite correct about the 'holt', but it is the worst example of a 'holt' you'll ever encounter, basically a plastic box with 4 foot of plastic pipe leading into it and I would say that it's never had an otter in it! :laugh: Lots of trout and chub on the river there but there's also billions of minnows. And there's always a hell of a lot of otter trade, should someone know what signs to look for. :victory:

I actually have photos of the fish passes being made, as well as other areas on the Aire.... :thumbs: They were made late last spring/early summer.

Yes the minnows are a pain! Iv live baited them a few times and done quite well on them - doesn't take more than 5 mins to catch 20 live baits on maggot! Sounds like you know the place and the wildlife down there well, I need to start learning more as it sounds like I'm missing out quite a lot of knowlage about it's wildlife! As a kid I almost lived on the banks of the aire in Bramley but since I moved away from the river few years ago I miss it a lot! Think about it daily!

Have you had bream out of the air at back of railway pub mate?

There's Bream most of the way down and has been for at least twenty years that I know of. However, they must be few in number as they are hard to track down. The last one I heard of was just above the forge, the old weir above there has now been ripped out too.

Have you had bream out of the air at back of railway pub mate?

No iv not fished that stretch if you want bream try back of kirkstall abbey. It's odd you don't get them often but when you do you get several and had them to 4 lbs.

There's some huge perch in the wier sills too. Once had one unweighted but well over 3 lbs and when a bloke asked me if I had owt I said a big perch he laughed and said iv fished this river 20 years there's no perch in here. His face was a picture when I showed him pic.

• Like 1

It was a while ago now but the fish passes will no doubt help them move about...http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/thousands-of-eels-are-released-into-the-river-aire-1-2090699

And the barbel.....http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/Barbel-boost-for-River-Aire/

Iv caught barbel in the stretch in kirkstall from stockings.

Top river is the Aire, did you catch much in theese swims jdarcy?

Good link about the eels, you learn something new every day! There's also a number of grayling in the Aire in that area. :thumbs:
never new grayling are in them swims,have grayling been stocked in the aire

When the EA electro-net the Aire they always find Grayling around Armley, obviously in the faster runs.

Blooming heck saying that iv got a well trusted friend saying he seen one under the dark arches in Leeds centre. I seen lots of brown trout under there too.

When the EA electro-net the Aire they always find Grayling around Armley, obviously in the faster runs.

Blooming heck saying that iv got a well trusted friend saying he seen one under the dark arches in Leeds centre. I seen lots of brown trout under there too.

I used to get all the results handed to me from the electro team. :thumbs:

I used to get all the results handed to me from the electro team. :thumbs:

It's a surprising river the aire that's what makes it so interesting. Did they ever get any eels?

Nice pics and thread tom

Give me a shout when you go look at rest il come with you bring dogs and camera :)

You spent a lot of time on banks of aire too didn't you! Your one iv thd best river lure anglers I seen!

You caught the big perch too!