River Aire Fish Passes!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went down to the river Aire on Saturday for a look at the new fish passes that have been built....       Eel board.......     And the other.....     Another eel board....    

A bit of revival of an old topic but I have to share the joy lol   I got a phone call from a mate who was fishing the aire and he caught 3 eels!!! So I shot down to see and here they are....    

i remember seeing fish trying to jump the weir at cas... i wasnt sure what they were, i was stuck on the bridge in traffic at the time. nice to see those pics tom .

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the same JDarcy and was shocked when I discovered it. I dare say it spoiled the stretch above it even. It was a top chub stretch I tried to look positively at it been removed but I can't see how it helped. I imagine making the one above it (by pollard bridge) easier to pass would have been more beneficial as over the years when I was down there a lot I used to watch trout try jumping up that all the time.

I can't knock the EA for all the other work they have done on the river tho, it is superb.

I been thinking about this wier been removed and I think maybe they where creating a good habitat for grayling? While speaking to a fisherman last time I was down there he said he had caught a few from this stretch. It will be very interesting to see if they appear in good numbers down there and would be great!

I been thinking about this wier been removed and I think maybe they where creating a good habitat for grayling? While speaking to a fisherman last time I was down there he said he had caught a few from this stretch. It will be very interesting to see if they appear in good numbers down there and would be great!

Theres a hell of alot of good grayling habitat around there, I can hardly imagine them spending thousands to worry about grayling.....I wouldn't be surprised if the canoeists are anything to do with it...

Theres a hell of alot of good grayling habitat around there, I can hardly imagine them spending thousands to worry about grayling.....I wouldn't be surprised if the canoeists are anything to do with it...

Yes very true I was trying to think of a good reason why it was removed but I can't!

• 1 year later...

A bit of revival of an old topic but I have to share the joy lol

I got a phone call from a mate who was fishing the aire and he caught 3 eels!!! So I shot down to see and here they are....

20170625_052842_zpsx0b0myte.jpg

Here's one he caught while I was there....

20170625_014119_zpsm6kqkg3e.jpg

I'm soo chuffed to see this. It shows the passes are working and the aire is improving. Iv known old men who fished the river for 40-50 years and never caught one in the aire and argued there ever will be any in there. The EA is doing a top job!

• Like 3