Will Buzzards/kites Kill Chickens?

I'm getting very pissed right now I've been fox free at my smallholding since I installed an electric fence around the whole perimeter, that was about 18 months ago and Ive built up a nice flock of chickens suffering no losses since, but in the last 3 days I've lost 2 fully grown hens (just head found with one and picked clean bones of the other) also 2 goslings only 3 day old in with chickens as hatched by a hen

I get buzzards and kites on holding all the time but never bothered them before, would it be one that just learned to kill chickens?

What can I do to stop it?, I've shut them in the run (they usually have run of whole holding) I've hung up CDs last night and I'm going to criss cross string over the run today (it's a big run) I also stood out my crow decoys as I know they mob buzzards

I'm annoyed because i started selling eggs from front of house a couple months ago and it's going really well and I've just brought 10 point of lay pullets to keep up with demand and it was one of these that was the first victim?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone knows buzzards and kites only eat worms and roadkill, like badgers

Lets not kid each other on. Every bird of prey will catch and kill anything it thinks it can handle.

Birds of prey regardless how hungry they are ,are all restricted to what they can take by the size of their feet . Our buzzard in comparison to a Harris or redtail have small feet which when coupled

Posted Images

Sounds like you`ve covered most safety measures. Obviously a net over the top would be better than string, as it dont seem to keep cormorants off ponds... What about a scarecrow or one of them big bird scaring eagle owl deeks on a high pole? Failing that I think the only thing you can do is only let them out when your in the yard too. You could put a cheap trail cam up, be certain who the culprit is.

I watched a kite try it's hardest to catch a crow the other day, the other crowd were going mad but the kite had singled one out and nearly had it a few times....it went out of my view over some trees so I never got to see wether he got his catch or not! Great to see tho

Buzzards will definitely take chickens although the kills you describe to me don't sound like typical buzzard.

Kites much much less likely. Although they are a big bird their talons are piss weak. Despite sarcasm from other members kites are most definitely carrion feeders. Never say never but like I say very very unlikely it was a kite.

It could even be Tawny owls at dusk doing the killing with badgers or some other thing taking the bodies away through the night.

One question, was the bread bone intact or did it look like lots of little bites were taken out of it?

Doesn't really matter though. Your only legal method to ensure it won't happen again (if it is an avian predator) is to net the top of your run as has been suggested above.

Cd's, scarecrows, decoys etc work for raptors for a day or two but unless you keep them moving about they soon get used to them same with all scaring methods really.

• Like 1

Kites much much less likely. Although they are a big bird their talons are piss weak. Despite sarcasm from other members kites are most definitely carrion feeders. Never say never but like I say very very unlikely it was a kite.

You clearly haven't seen kites taking pheasants out of the air. I have.

• Like 2

You're right, I havent. A buzzard perhaps but personally I doubt a Red Kite.

Like I say. Never say never but I am sceptical that that happened. Perhaps it's true, Perhaps it was mistaken identity or perhaps you made it up. Until I see that happen with my own eyes you and me won't agree on this I am sure.

• Like 1

You'd recommend them for use in falconry then?

You'd recommend them for use in falconry then?

Obviously not, I was stating a fact. No self respecting austringer would be seen dead with a kite for hunting ...

I really don't see what the big deal on here is all the time about the realisation that birds of PREY are inclined to PREY on other animals. Hardly unlocking the mystery's of the natural world is it?

I've never personally heard this myth that buzzards are ONLY carrion & insects eaters only, its obvious that they will be opportunists, wether that's an easily taken pheasant or a worm or road kill, whatever comes easiest at the time.....hardly a revelation.....

I've personally witnessed a 1lb 9 oz male Harris give chase on a roe deer, very unlikely to be regularly on the menu though, is it?

Buzzards & Ive got no doubt red kites make fcuking piss poor falconry birds.........if they didn't, folk wouldn't of spent so much time & money importing all kinds of other birds for the hunting & killing of game for all these years.....

No doubt they are being verminous in some parts of the country towards game & other species, but I won't be rushing out to get one to take game, because there fcuking shite! haha.....

• Like 2