Hi folks, just looking for some advice.

I would like to stalk a muntjac via a deer stalking agency.

What do I need to do this? I don't currently have an FAC, would I need one with appropriate cal., and would I need to state the intention to hunt deer with it?

Would I need to arrange some relevant insurance?

Thanks

J

For what it's worth, stalking a munti would be like stalking the Holy Grail. Bet your agency would put you in a seat on a known munti raodway and leave you to it.Good luck. And incidentally, you'd be covered by the agencies insurance. Have a go son. :victory:

Cheers for the replies gents

Jok- sorry I probably should have said shoot rather than stalk, wouldn't be too fussed if they put me in a high seat, cheers

Hydro- I'm based in West Yorkshire, and would love to be as local as possible if possible. I'm a BASC airgun member, so not sure if I'm still covered? That would be awesome if I can use an estate gun and get away without needing an FAC

Well that's honest. I had a lovely day in Glastonbury on the Somerset Levels. Absolutely fantastic. Roe and Muntis. When the guide gave me the high seat I thought what a load of bollocks. 2 Muntis later from the same roadway changed my opinion. Go for it. And I totally agree with the estate rifle. If you are with an acredited FAC holder then you are fine.

• Like 1

Well that's honest. I had a lovely day in Glastonbury on the Somerset Levels. Absolutely fantastic. Roe and Muntis. When the guide gave me the high seat I thought what a load of bollocks. 2 Muntis later from the same roadway changed my opinion. Go for it. And I totally agree with the estate rifle. If you are with an acredited FAC holder then you are fine.

Thanks again for the reply Jok- sounds like you had a great day out! Wouldn't mind a Roe either, but I'm particularly after a munty- they are awesome beasts. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your stalking day?

Actually it was a favour returned but I think it was £60 per person per evening. Chaps name is Derek Stocker living in or near Wells, Somerset. The shooting took place both there on the Somerset Levels and at Stanstead. Well worth trying to find him. I've no longer his number. Good hunting.

• Like 1

I have heard the name Dereck Stocker but I cant put my finger on where from, was he Ex Forestry Commission?

Anyway, Jonny. From West Yorkshire I guess you would have to travel a bit south to find a good population of Muntjac. You need to phone BASC and ask them if you are covered by their insurance and you need to find a guide with an estate rifle. I would have though google would be your friend to begin with. There is another forum you could try called the stalking directory. There are one or two guides on there and plenty of reviews that might help you find someone to stalk with.

• Like 1

Once again Jok you have been a wealth of knowledge! I shall get on google and have a deek at what you mentioned I've left an email with Yorkshire deer stalking- the website says they can offer shooting around north Yorkshire which is brilliant, but I think it's mainly Roe, they do mention muntjac but I think like you say it's down south somewhere. Hopefully their reply will clear that up.

Do not book with Andy Pane as you will be poaching from the off .West country deer services i believe ,wide berth .

Heard some people say this and others defend him.

Can you give more info so we can decide ?

• 2 weeks later...

What more info do you need ,mans a poacher .Been seen on many a lads ground around me with definately no permission .He dropped off two foreign guests at a gateway once saying stalk these fields then drove away .Old bill called to the two for armed tresspass and Pane contacted ,denying all knowledge of them .His reg number now appears on the farm watch app for smart phones .Dont waste your money with this chancer is my advice .