A Confession And Request For Advice

I must confess I never really liked BSA guns. I always found them to be a little 'rougher' around the edges, less refined, etc than other guns. This opinion was based on their springers, from about 30 years ago. They certainly had charm, but were not refined in any real way.

When I started out, I shot with a Webley Vulcan and then a tuned MK II HW80. The HW was streets ahead of what my mates had back then (a hodge-podge of guns and lots of BSA springers). My HW was better than my shooting buddies Theoben Sirocco (IMO) and anything BSA was doing at the time. No contest in my eyes. However, I think this may have biased me (unfairly) against BSA guns in the here and now. They have never really been on my radar but they are still with us and lots of you use them.

Next year, I may plunge for a larger shot count than my S410s give me, just to give me options for the field (yes, I have springers as well....). I've been pondering a BSA MK II r10, or a Theoben MK II Rapid. I'd like to ask those of you that may have owned these, either both models, or one of them a few questions. I'm not going to ask a stupid question like 'which is best' - because these questions are pointless, but I would like to ask you to be objective and honest.

So, in your opinion, how good are modern BSA PCPs (forget springers - the AAs are best - no argument for me on that)? What's the difference between a MK I and a MK II r10? I've been told the r10 gives around 180 shots, would you agree that's what you get in the field? Consistency? Engineering? Common problems? Gripes?

The Theoben MK II rapid? Pros, cons? A much larger shot count, but anything else? Is it worth the stretch? if you are living and working with these guns, how easy are they to live and work with? If you own a Daystate, don't reply...... :laugh: :laugh:

PS - Mark, please don't suggest a HW100....I don't like them....no offence... :thumbs:

Edited by Dr B
  • Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who ever gives a opinion, will allways edge on the side of what they own ! If they didn't then they wouldn't fecin Own what they have got Fuc I'm confused my self now ! Just buy a caterpult , a

HW100 all day long

Yes you right for once - i am a grandad and i love kids, but not cheeky kids , now be quiet its past your bedtime shhhhh ! If your a good lad i`ll send you a story about a HW 100

Posted Images

Ive got a r10 and a hw100. The quality/ finish of the r10 isn't as good as the hw. Ive put a huma in my r10, i would budget for one if you're going to buy one, as the standard reg is pants and will fail eventually. The hw has never missed a beat, the only mod ive done is degrease. In my opinion go for a hw100.

If you're conerned about the quality and finish of the BSA rifles my advice, based on my own experience, would be don't worry about it too much. My r10 puts my s410 to shame to the degree that I've just traded in the aa over the r10. I've not tested the effective shot count (although the bsa's is clearly higher) but I do know that the difference in shot to shot consistency between the two rifles was negligible as far as fps was concerned despite the BSA being "regged" but I found I had much more faith in the r10 when it came to pellet placement. I'm sure 99% of it is down to the way the r10 fits me but I will say the semi match trigger of the r10 is to die for and that can only help (it well and truly puts any of my powder burners to shame in that respect). Your best bet is to shoulder an r10, if it feels good I'm sure it won't disappoint but it may be worth keeping some funds back for a huma reg just in case :)

• Like 1

Ive got a r10 and a hw100. The quality/ finish of the r10 isn't as good as the hw. Ive put a huma in my r10, i would budget for one if you're going to buy one, as the standard reg is pants and will fail eventually. The hw has never missed a beat, the only mod ive done is degrease. In my opinion go for a hw100.

No! This is not about HW 100s...and I don't like them...period.....over rated IMO....but thanks anyway....I'd like to stay focused on the Rapid vs r10.

If you're conerned about the quality and finish of the BSA rifles my advice, based on my own experience, would be don't worry about it too much. My r10 puts my s410 to shame to the degree that I've just traded in the aa over the r10. I've not tested the effective shot count (although the bsa's is clearly higher) but I do know that the difference in shot to shot consistency between the two rifles was negligible as far as fps was concerned despite the BSA being "regged" but I found I had much more faith in the r10 when it came to pellet placement. I'm sure 99% of it is down to the way the r10 fits me but I will say the semi match trigger of the r10 is to die for and that can only help (it well and truly puts any of my powder burners to shame in that respect). Your best bet is to shoulder an r10, if it feels good I'm sure it won't disappoint but it may be worth keeping some funds back for a huma reg just in case :)

Thanks James, but there is no way I'd ever say that BSAs are anywhere near AA for quality, consistency, accuracy, reliability. However, as you rightly say, if the gun does not suit you then fair enough. :thumbs:

I'm just thinking about higher shot count options. The Theoben is by far one of the highest...I think... :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Dr B

Thanks James, but there is no way I'd ever say that BSAs are anywhere near AA for quality, consistency, accuracy, reliability. However, as you rightly say, if the gun does not suit you then fair enough. :thumbs:

I'm just thinking about higher shot count options. The Theoben is by far one of the highest...I think... :thumbs::thumbs:

I completely understand where you're coming from but if you give the BSA the benefit of the doubt I think you may be pleasantly surprised :)

• Like 1

Had a r10 , nice gun , large shot count , great of a bi pod , but found it not to be a very pointable gun , that was a VC model.

Sold it and the feed back i had of him later, said the same as me . Only sold it to fund a Daystate Regal , what a very big mistake ,should of sent the r10 of to XTX Air and have a tune , shorter barrel and one of his shrouds .

So my choice would be HW100 any format :yes: :yes: :thumbs:

• Like 1