Lost Skills?

The dog doesn't know he has a locator on, he will work the same way regardless,it's the terrierman who has adjusted his ways and moved with the times,for the better imo,having said that any terrier man worth his salt should be able to revert to the old ways if needs be

• Like 7

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best terrier men will get the most from a situation with or without the finder .The old Deben was far from failsafe and sometimes got damp leaving a dog to be found the old way .Electric fences se

The more I learn the more I realise I didn't know ! I like that saying because I learn everytime I go out or try to . I've seen men that've dug for years and still not learn from their mistakes be

Personally I think it has improved terrier work in lots of ways, dogs are being used in places that you wouldn't even consider without a locator, the standard of terrier work is far superior today wit

But only if hes had some guidance mate .The old skills are dying out fast from what i can see with tech heads the norm .Give a youth a bellman and he will dig all day take that away and see what happens .i know weve moved on but finding a terrier from other means should not be neglected .Driving a bar in over the supposed spot and putting your ear to it will give an idea if your right and by moving that about will pin point the dog .More to it obviously .

• Like 5

The dog doesn't know he has a locator on, he will work the same way regardless,it's the terrierman who has adjusted his ways and moved with the times,for the better imo,having said that any terrier man worth his salt should be able to revert to the old ways if needs be

exactly...no need for 33 paragraphs to tell someone that ....

• Like 1

The steady Terrier, with a good voice given chance to thoroughly checks a place out and work it's stuff to an Oven, will be relegated to the same place as the Bar and the dirty Ear.

Edited to say a definite yes to the original question

• Like 3

The steady Terrier, with a good voice given chance to thoroughly checks a place out and work it's stuff to an Oven, will be relegated to the same place as the Bar and the dirty Ear.

why will a steady terrier be relegated ?

Does modern technology reduce the skill needed by a terrierman

The above is the original question, Lee isnt asking about deep digs, hard terriers etc etc, he's asking if terrier locating systems reduce the skills required by a terrierman, there can only be 1 answer......Yes

• Like 1

The above is the original question, Lee isnt asking about deep digs, hard terriers etc etc, he's asking if terrier locating systems reduce the skills required by a terrierman, there can only be 1 answer......Yes

you cant loose it if you never had it to start with...

• Like 1

No-one mentioned losing anything

you cant loose it if you never had it to start with...

No-one mentioned losing anything

Fat Man's the son of Mister Bellman and Madame Flint. They created a device to improve quality of dogs.

No i just have respect for my terriers,thats where me and you differ because at this day and age any man that lets a terrier to ground without a locator on has little or no respect for there terriers.I dug pre-locator,not by choice because they were not invented then but soon as they were i bought a locator.Do you inoculate your dogs or just leave them and if they live they live.I lost a litter of pups many years ago through parvo viris,no inoculations back then but i have not lost a pup to parvo since as i jab them against it now,another great invention same as the locator,TECHNOLOGY.

I think we have lost the old skill which was something that needed to be tought for a long period of time which could come in handy when tecnology fails as it has so many time. And we are very dependant on the box for obvious reasons . But its a precious gift carried down fron the men of old digs and i think it still has its place in our modern digging days. Altought im sure it wont last .

• Like 1

Are the old skills your on about dropping another dog in when you can't hear the first one,or is it the use of TNT without blowing your dog up or maybe trenching on and totaly fcuking up a earth or sett when the dogs gone mute? :whistling: ..not everything old school was good and a middle ground in technique is what is needed in this day and age imo..

• Like 2

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

• Like 1