Gutted..new Pup Got Parvo.

ADAM C

I got my new pup on sunday 3/4 beddy 1/4 Patt......lovely little thing last pup to go 12 wk old,i thought perfect,got her 1st jab on monday she seemed a little quiet but just thought cos of new surrounding etc.Day after still a little quiet and eating a little less,then yesterday (wednesday) started vomitting at first thought it may have been warm weather.Anyway today no appetite at all drinking a little and very larthajick (sorry about spelling) took her to vets as i write this she is now on a drip at vets just had phone call to say blood tests positive for Parvo,to say I'm gutted is an understatement..........totally feel f***in so down!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it wasn't looking good sunday/monday not keeping anything down at all,then yesterday "Violet" kept some food down and all through the day she kept having small amounts of food and keeping it all

well she really has made herself at home now.......even muscled in the bed with the whippets!!

If they used the live or attenuated vaccine she may be giving a false positive as such, and reacting to the vaccine is making her feel like shite... Have any of her litter mates come own with it do y

Posted Images

If they used the live or attenuated vaccine she may be giving a false positive as such, and reacting to the vaccine is making her feel like shite...

Have any of her litter mates come own with it do you know?

A report by Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP

The Fecal Parvo ELISA Test

The ELISA test has become the most common test for parvovirus in puppies. ELISA stands for Enzyme Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay. This sounds complicated and high tech but is actually the same type of technology used in home pregnancy test kits. The parvo ELISA test is also a kit and is performed in the vet’s office in about 15 minutes or less. There are many different brands and testing is sensitive in its ability to detect virus in stool.

The test has some limitations that are important to realize. Recent vaccination with a live vaccine (the type of vaccine that is most effective) may interfere with the test results. This means that the test may detect the live virus from the vaccine and show a positive reading when, in fact, the puppy does not have a parvo infection. Classically, this interference occurs 5 to 12 days after vaccination so if a positive fecal ELISA test is obtained within this period after vaccination, additional tests may be recommended.

Further, the puppy could be infected but no longer shedding virus in its stool. Or the virus particles may be so thoroughly coated with antibodies that they cannot react with the chemicals of the test. In almost all cases, one can trust a negative ELISA reading but it is important to realize that no test is perfect.

The Drop in White Cell Count

Recall that one of the first actions of the canine parvovirus is to inhibit white blood cell division in the bone marrow. The virus essentially turns the immune system off before making its deadly way to the GI tract. This is a feature of parvoviruses in all species which means that a characteristic drop in white blood cell count is seen on a blood panel. This characteristic finding is especially helpful in the diagnosis of a recently vaccinated puppy as the ELISA test maybe positive from the vaccine but if the white count is normal, the puppy is probably not infected. The white blood cell count is commonly monitored in the treatment of a parvovirus case. If the puppy is not presented to the veterinarian until later in its disease course, it is possible to miss the white cell drop and not correctly make the diagnosis. Similarly, a puppy presented early in the course of infection may not yet have the white cell drop and sequential tests may be needed to confirm diagnosis. confirm diagnosis.

Antibody Titers

There are two types of antibody titers that can be run: IgG and IgM. With the advent of ELISA testing, titers are not frequently used in making this diagnosis. The IgG titer is a more long-lasting antibody level. A high IgG titer would probably indicate active infection in a puppy that is old enough to generate antibodies and who has not yet received any vaccinations. Most of the time, the IgG titer simply reflects antibodies generated by vaccination. The IgM titer reflects recent antibody production so if a vaccinated puppy had not been vaccinated recently, a high IgM titer might indicate active infection.

Because parvovirus infected puppies have frequently received vaccinations in their recent past and are frequently too young to generate their own antibodies (which is how vaccinated puppies get infected in the first place), these test results are difficult to interpret. It is easy to see why the ELISA test that directly detects the virus has become so popular.

Titering is mostly used nowadays to determine if a dog has adequate protection against parvo, either through vaccination or prior exposure. In a shelter setting, a dog of unknown vaccination status can be tested to determine if he is considered protected from infection or not. In the pet setting, a dog can be tested to determine if a vaccine is needed or not. Certain antibody levels are associated with protection; however, because of other contributing branches of the immune system, an inadequate titer does not necessarily mean a dog is vulnerable.

• Like 4

I got my new pup on sunday 3/4 beddy 1/4 Patt......lovely little thing last pup to go 12 wk old,i thought perfect,got her 1st jab on monday she seemed a little quiet but just thought cos of new surrounding etc.Day after still a little quiet and eating a little less,then yesterday (wednesday) started vomitting at first thought it may have been warm weather.Anyway today no appetite at all drinking a little and very larthajick (sorry about spelling) took her to vets as i write this she is now on a drip at vets just had phone call to say blood tests positive for Parvo,to say I'm gutted is an understatement..........totally feel f***in so down!!!!!

My vet told me years ago when you get a new pup from someone to keep it for a week before getting it inoculated.Now i thought doing it asap would be best,The vets said "wait a week to see if pup is fit and healthy first."

• Like 3

My lurcher got parvo when she was a pup,vet told me to pts,i told him to fcuk off and sorted her myself and she's coming up 2 1/2 years old and has done everything i have asked of her and more.Hydration is the biggest killer when it comes to parvo and keep on top of that and your nearly there,honey and electrolites will keep the animal fed and mineraled up for the fight it has ahead,wreched thing is parvo and that smell stays with you forever :bad: ..

• Like 3

A responsible breeder would get any pups jabbed if they weren't in their new homes by 8 weeks. Maternal immunity varies a lot from pup to pup and litter to litter, but many will have lost that immunity by the age of 12 weeks. When you factor in the stress of moving to a new home, that weakens the immune system, and lays the pup open to any of the many bugs that there might be floating around in the new environment. Having said that, she was almost definitely exposed to the virus where she was bred as the incubation period is from between 3 - 7 days. Parvo is a particularly nasty gastroenteritis virus, and whilst any bad gastric virus has the potential to kill, Parvo is one of the worst as terrible diarrhoea can strip the insides of the guts and leave them so damaged that not only does the dog lose vital fluids, but blood as well. Hope she comes right for you. I've known some which survived and were perfectly OK, and others which seemed to give up without a fight.

My vet told me years ago when you get a new pup from someone to keep it for a week before getting it inoculated.Now i thought doing it asap would be best,The vets said "wait a week to see if pup is fit and healthy first."
I do that aswell,I often think to take a pup from its mum,new house,smells routine etc,then take it to vet get needle shoved in it,can be bit too much?