Foxhounds

heres my theory on it , if your adding any amount of foxhound too running dog ie lurcher , then exspect it too hunt like a hound , yeah it would add size and confirmation , it may open up when hunting , nose too the ground but there hounds for a pupose and I don't really see the point in mixing with running dog . modern English pretty fast over open ground but then lack in drawing because of size, I cant see the benefits too adding hound too running dogs , if you want lurchers too hunt like hounds then add what you like , but why not just use perfectly suitable hound , lurchers are lurchers for purpose , hounds are hounds for purpose ,choose one or the other , you out cross them then you just aswell flip a coin . these lurchers by a.edwards apparently have hound , or my guess would be he ran them with hounds ?

this is one of the silly things what will mess up good lurcher breeding I personally think , ,start out crossing there will be problem after problem , imo

heres my theory on it , if your adding any amount of foxhound too running dog ie lurcher , then exspect it too hunt like a hound , yeah it would add size and confirmation , it may open up when hunting , nose too the ground but there hounds for a pupose and I don't really see the point in mixing with running dog . modern English pretty fast over open ground but then lack in drawing because of size, I cant see the benefits too adding hound too running dogs , if you want lurchers too hunt like hounds then add what you like , but why not just use perfectly suitable hound , lurchers are lurchers for purpose , hounds are hounds for purpose ,choose one or the other , you out cross them then you just aswell flip a coin . these lurchers by a.edwards apparently have hound , or my guess would be he ran them with hounds ?

this is one of the silly things what will mess up good lurcher breeding I personally think , ,start out crossing there will be problem after problem , imo

Spot on mate, you can only outcross so much before you've got to put the original traits back for what you want if that makes sense?

The benefits of good feet, stamina etc would be far outweighed by stuff you don't want, nose down, giving tongue etc. Maybe 1/16th foxhound would be OK but a lot of wastage trying to get that mix?

Cheers, D.

• Like 3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is it walker/trig fine example of a racy hound owned by gilliers

heres my theory on it , if your adding any amount of foxhound too running dog ie lurcher , then exspect it too hunt like a hound , yeah it would add size and confirmation , it may open up when hunting

Youre not wrong Ray ,around Christmas we were ferreting over Cheshire and the farmer warned us the hunt was coming through later in the morning.....we did the part they were expected to come through f

Posted Images

you have a look at the royal artillery hounds what hunt across the plains , they look very racy almost like a lurcher but there hounds that have been bred for hundreds of years , the best too the best and the out come is the finer hounds what suited the terrain , don't get me wrong there will be a few too steady them , but its like any natural predator , the survivor adapts too its ground over years of evolution . but there hounds what hunt like hounds , put them in different country and it may not suit them like it does another pack, but the racier hounds have mainly been selected for the plains as it suits that hunting . unless you hunt with different packs in different parts of the country you wont notice. Apparently there modern English but a totally different stamp .

i think the hound is a long way back in the breeding, they're mainly collie grey bull grey - they work how he wants them to so i wouldnt say hes messed anything up

Guest alcapone

I've had two hound cross greyhounds now,both opened up when running,they whaled like banshee's when running.......never again. They are bred to speak as well as the rest of it,wouldn't put them into lurchers myself after what I've seen. They have great wind,shape,size,feet and desire to hunt but I'd sooner use saluki for them attributes as they were bred for the job in hand.

Edited by alcapone
  • Like 4

I've had two hound cross greyhounds now,both opened up when running,they whaled like banshee's when running.......never again. They are bred to speak as well as the rest of it,wouldn't put them into lurchers myself after what I've seen. They have great wind,shape,size,feet and desire to hunt but I'd sooner use saluki for them attributes as they were bred for the job in hand.

yeh fair point that, :thumbs: you prob better sticking to saluki or deerhound in your lurcher if you want more stamina ,and good feet ,drive , my 1x gsd x grey Buck got all those attributes he ticking the boxes for me . :yes: it was just seeing them really close up , that you realise what a big dog foxhounds are, but they been bred for that job and excel at it, like terriers at there job, and lurchers at theres , so suppose stick to what we know :yes:

Many,many years ago i watched an Hound trail above Brough,25 miles,through binoculars i watched the full extent of the nights activity,them fecking hounds set out panting and finished panting at the same speed,they made Salukis look second rate,i still cannot fathom why i never put the Foxhound into my Lurcher breeding,nose,wind,desire and attitude,i may have been colour blinded,i detest coloured lurchers,yet them Foxhounds have far more to offer than the majority of what is in the mix with many Lurchers.

we have 40 odd "rag" hounds and have 18 of them in full running spec right now running 3-4 days a week ;) you cant beat trial hounds! and when their done racing their dam good working hounds too!

PK, does the trail hound not stay mute when switched to the real thing ?

I admire trail hounds for what they are and the little bit of the sport I've seen I liked, but it's not hunting.

On the subject of hound cross lurchers ? My own lurcher has foxhound in her and has an excellent nose and I remember years ago a friend brought one on a hunt and it caught and killed a fox that bolted. But the terrier stayed with another fox and for the hour or so it took us to dig to the terrier the lurcher sat beside the earth with the dead fox in it's mouth.

Someone mentioned Saluki's ?

Before the Saluki cross became common here in Ireland the hound cross was very popular among the coursing fraternity and one bitch that springs to mind was John Ks famous bitch "Chorus" who was a hound cross.

most trial hounds will open up on the rag and like wise most hounds that will turn to hunt "game" will open up too...i know a very good ex raceing dog that takes foxes for fun when out of walks much to the discust to its owner..but its mute the "silent asassin"

i have a video of trial hounds crossing a road and to the unknowing man you would swear their a pack of foxhounds in full cry

Oh, like I say my experience with trail hounds is limited but on the whole I found them to be mute compared to foxhounds.

I'm surprised that the trail hound hasn't been crossed with greyhounds more.

Some say that the fell hound has running dog way back in it's ancestry.

Is it true that a good trail hound will fetch a lot £££££££s ?

Guest alcapone

Was there a book out years ago called 'REBECCA THE LURCHER' it was a foxhound x greyhound,cant mind who wrote it and i never read it,anyone who has know how he found the cross?

Was there a book out years ago called 'REBECCA THE LURCHER' it was a foxhound x greyhound,cant mind who wrote it and i never read it,anyone who has know how he found the cross?

ANDREW SIMPSON

i had 1 about 30 odd yr ago,foxhound.x greyhound would run on hunting even after the hare had juked it,had to be on slip all the time or hunted up miles in front lol,never again.

but if you were foxing on the open mountain that's the most important quality , something hanging round your feet waiting to get sighted would be useless.

I'm sure they have a place but would agree they wouldn't suit most people.