Just looking for some advice, when is the best time to fish estuaries I've always thought it was 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide is this correct?Is it worth spinning at the beginning of a flood tide at quite low water? I will be fishing the Teign Estuary and also the Dart. Any advice is extremely welcome thanks.

I read an article many years ago about spinning for mullet with Mepps with the treble covered in maddies, they done well on them. That was down in Cornwall somewhere. Settled weather and a low /mid day high water tide would help with the clarity of the water.

TC

I fish the Teign estuary a fair bit mate, mainly using live eels which you can buy on the back beach from wrigglers bait (one of the beach huts)..

There are some decent bass caught every year along with a fair amount of schoolies...

I've caught fish at all states of the tide, but find certain marks fish better at certain times, if your spinning use a savge sandeel imitation or fiish black minnow sandeel (they are feeding on the eels so give them what they're feeding on)... even better grab a scoop of live eels for a fiver and freeline one on a size 4 carp hook 6-8lb line swivel and fluro carbon hook length, great sport!! just keep it light the fish average 2lb and a 4 or 5lb fish os a biggie so you don't need to fish heavy, plus it will make everything very un natural.

at low water you can walk out on a spit that goes out into the sea from the mouth, wade into the water and run the eel through here, or fish a lure across the tide, the first 2 hours of the ebb are hard to fish due to the flow, but can be productive, look for creases in the tide where the water slows a little, run an eel through there, the bass will sit out of the main flow and hit bait running into them a bit of watercraft, looking at creases, back eddys and variation in flow rate etc is good areas to try)..

When the tide starts to flood the back beach can be good, particulary right infron of Wrigglers, most people use chest waders and wade into the estuary and run the eel/ lure through the channel, makerel and garfish will come up with the tide, to add to the bass...

You can also go over to the Shaldon side it'll fish all along this side, again the tide really rips early on the ebb, I lost a good fish on the kayak a few weeks back at the far point of shaldon along the rock area, only 50 yards or so off the shore!

Haven't fished the Dart so much, mainly on charters out to the skerries or wrecking, but plan a few trip on the kayak this year to aim for a gilthead bream...

I would advise you to go and try as often as possible, different states of the tide... early morning/evening are by far the best.. the back beach area gets very busy in the summer, get out in the water with chest waders to avoid them...

Good luck..

• Like 3

I'm heading down the Teign now for a few hours on the Kayak, don't think I'll get eels now so I'll give the lures a go.. I'll let you know how it goes..

• Like 1

A dozen mackerel, trolled about a bit with Sandeel imatations and feathers, fished fairly close to the pier, loads of gannets diving, got amongst them and had a few.. No bass though

• Like 3